COMPLETE The Misses Mallett, by E.H. Young - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mycatmissesme

Post by mycatmissesme »

Originally published as The Bridge Dividing

The Misses Mallett by E.H. (Emily Hilda) Young (1880 - 1949).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-misses-mallett-by-e-h-young/
The arrival of the eligible Francis Sales disturbs the calm existence of the four Misses Mallett in this social satire.Three women love him--will one of them be his wife? ( Anne Erickson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8131
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Family Life; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Literary Fiction; Satire

Keywords that describe the book: Jane Austen, witty, comedy of manners

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Misses Mallett. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Misses Mallett, by E.H. Young. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Misses Mallett by E.H. Young. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Misses Mallett, by E.H. Young. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename missesmallett_##_young_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. missesmallett_01_young_128kb.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Anne Erickson, Toronto
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Does the text you are using match this Gutenberg ebook? http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8131 It would be nice to have an online reference for the text.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I'd love to DPL for you.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If you haven't started recording from your hard copy yet, please use the online text which is in the public domain, as a later edition would hold its own copyright. If your hard copy is published in 1924 and earlier, you can use it, but it would be necessary to have a picture of its title and copyright page so that the edition can be verified.

Also, how many sections will you need for this book? I failed to notice it wasn't specified when I set it up, so we'll have to add sections manually now.

Cadastra, are you one of those proof-listeners who follow with the text? I'm not asking you to do it if not, just asking if you do that when DPLing, as it would offer an extra check that the text used is in the public domain. :D
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Yes, I often follow along with the text, although not always. I can do so for this project if necessary.
mycatmissesme

Post by mycatmissesme »

Thanks, Rapunzelina and Cadastra.

Yes, I can read the Gutenberg text, although mine seems to be identical.

How should I record the title? Reading the parenthetical title as given in Gutenberg doesn't sound clear to me--it could be a subtitle. Maybe say "The Misses Mallett, originally published as The Bridge Dividing?" Or "The Misses Mallett, by E.H. Young. This book was originally published as The Bridge Dividing?"

I'm afraid I don't know how many sections I'll need--would I estimate by the number of pages? It's 256 in my copy.

Thanks!
Anne Erickson, Toronto
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Would it work if you said for the title "The Misses Mallett, or The Bridge Dividing, by E.H. Young." ? Otherwise you can use "The Misses Mallett, originally published as The Bridge Dividing, by E.H. Young." for your first section and then just use the one title with the shortened intro for the rest of the sections.
mycatmissesme wrote: May 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm I'm afraid I don't know how many sections I'll need--would I estimate by the number of pages? It's 256 in my copy.
it's ok! We can add sections as we go :wink: I can't see if it has chapters. I suppose you can record in manageable chunks and stop at natural points in the story, like change of day or change of scene.

I'll move us to Going Solo!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Anne! Just checking to see if you're making any progress, or if you need any help with this project. I hope you are well! :9:
mycatmissesme

Post by mycatmissesme »

Hi, Rapunzelina:

I've been delayed on this--sorry! We had a chance to spend June at our cottage and couldn't resist, but we don't have internet there so I couldn't access Gutenberg.

We're back in town now so I'll get back to work. For reasons I won't go into here, though, I think it will take longer than I initially thought.

Anne

PS I did upload one segment before we left. Did it get through OK?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi, welcome back! June at the cottage indeed sounds irresistible :D
mycatmissesme wrote: July 9th, 2020, 12:57 pmPS I did upload one segment before we left. Did it get through OK?
I couldn't find anything in my uploads folder. At your convenience, upload your file again and post the link here in the thread. It will be easier to find. Thank you!
mycatmissesme

Post by mycatmissesme »

Here's part 1 of The Misses Mallett:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/the_misses_mallett_young_pt01_ae_128kb.mp3

44:01

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8131

NB After I uploaded this I realized I had left out the author's name in the intro, so I uploaded it again. I think that means you'll see two on the server; this is the link of the corrected version.

Anne
Anne Erickson, Toronto
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Anne!
Our proof-listener, Cadastra, will take a listen at her convenience and will let you know if there are any fixes needed.

Cadastra and Anne, the filename is not in the format proposed in the first post, but don't worry about the filenames, I can take care of those at cataloguing. Thanks! :thumbs:
mycatmissesme

Post by mycatmissesme »

Anne Erickson, Toronto
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

mycatmissesme wrote: July 18th, 2020, 1:04 pm Here's part 1 of The Misses Mallett:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/the_misses_mallett_young_pt01_ae_128kb.mp3

44:01

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8131

NB After I uploaded this I realized I had left out the author's name in the intro, so I uploaded it again. I think that means you'll see two on the server; this is the link of the corrected version.

Anne
Hi Anne,
Section 1 sounds beautiful. Just a few PL notes... There should be less than 0.5-1 second of silence at the beginning of the file, and there is currently almost 1.5 seconds of silence. In addition, there are loud background noises at 0:31 and 02:07.

Have you heard of Checker? You can use the program to check the technical specifications of your files against LibriVox standards - https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker. When I ran Section 1 through Checker, I found that there is significant DC bias (-12, see the Information tab). The DC bias should be right around 0. Significant DC bias can distort the audio and create clicks in the background of your recording, especially if you process your files using the noise cleaning or amplifying feature in Audacity. Please normalize the recording by following these instructions: Select All (Ctrl+A), Click Effect | Normalize, and check the "Remove DC Offset" box only, then click OK. Check that there is no DC bias using Checker.

Please edit and re-upload. Thank you!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 2 is PL OK aside from the DC bias which needs to be fixed. Wonderful reading! Are you using the noise reduction feature in Audacity? If so, I recommend you reduce the settings a bit - the complete silence between sentences is jarring compared to the low hum/fan noise when you are talking. I'm sure it would be easy for the listener to get used to a slight hum, but the inconsistency can be distracting from your lovely voice.