COMPLETE: Birds, Vol 1, No. 1, January 1897 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16255
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Got it, Thanks.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

silverquill
Posts: 13409
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 15th, 2020, 9:27 am

Jaymax wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:09 pm
Section 4 The Resplendent Trogon

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_04_various_128kb.mp3.mp3
07:39
Thanks for your recording!

NOTE:

The audio quality on this is not the best. What kind of mic are you using?

But, the main issue is a very, very low volume. The volume comes in at only 82.5 dB. The intro is much louder, and then the volume gets lower and lower and about half way through it drops way down to about 79 dB. Our target is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86-91 dB. So, this will need some amplification.

Refer to this article for help: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Amplifying
(Your wave form looks like the first example)

And, you can use our Checker program to find out the exact volume of your recording.
Find out about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

NOTE:

If you run your recording through Checker, you will find that you get a "FAILED" message.
This is because you have exported it with the incorrect rate 48000 and the LV standard is 44100
If you are using Audacity, this setting is in the lower left, labeled "Project Rate (Hz)"

If you have further questions or need help, just ask.

Upload your corrected file under the same name and post the link here again.
~Larry

jennlea
Posts: 413
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » May 16th, 2020, 7:22 am

-Jenn B.

alanmapstone
Posts: 1715
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » May 16th, 2020, 8:18 am

alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

Jaymax
Posts: 14
Joined: May 4th, 2020, 11:43 am

Post by Jaymax » May 16th, 2020, 9:16 am

@silverquill - Thanks for taking the time to post the helpful tips.
My microphone is a inexpensive shotgun mic(Takstar SGC-598) I played with the placement of it and think I have improved the recording a bit. I checked this version with the checker and it seems to pass. Let me know.

Section 4 The Resplendent Trogon (version-02)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_04_various_128kb.mp3.mp3
07:36

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16255
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 16th, 2020, 9:25 am

jennlea and Alan - Thanks for your files which are now in the MW. Larry will be along to PL. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16255
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 16th, 2020, 9:37 am

Jaymax wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:16 am
@silverquill - Thanks for taking the time to post the helpful tips.
My microphone is a inexpensive shotgun mic(Takstar SGC-598) I played with the placement of it and think I have improved the recording a bit. I checked this version with the checker and it seems to pass. Let me know.

Section 4 The Resplendent Trogon (version-02)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_04_various_128kb.mp3.mp3
07:36
Hi Jaymax,
Just to confirm, is this a brand new recording? One note on the filename. When you export, don't add the .mp3 to the filename. Audacity will do that for you. I assume that is how you ended up with .mp3.mp3 on this one. I'm going to fix that on the server in this case. Just mentioning it for your future recordings. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Jaymax
Posts: 14
Joined: May 4th, 2020, 11:43 am

Post by Jaymax » May 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:37 am

Hi Jaymax,
Just to confirm, is this a brand new recording? One note on the filename. When you export, don't add the .mp3 to the filename. Audacity will do that for you. I assume that is how you ended up with .mp3.mp3 on this one. I'm going to fix that on the server in this case. Just mentioning it for your future recordings. :)
Yes, this is a new recording. Thanks for taking off the extra mp3, I will keep a better eye on the file names.

silverquill
Posts: 13409
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 16th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Jaymax wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:16 am
@silverquill - Thanks for taking the time to post the helpful tips.
My microphone is a inexpensive shotgun mic(Takstar SGC-598) I played with the placement of it and think I have improved the recording a bit. I checked this version with the checker and it seems to pass. Let me know.

Section 4 The Resplendent Trogon (version-02)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_04_various_128kb.mp3.mp3
07:36
Ah, yes, much better audio quality and volume and tech specs check out. Goo job :thumbs:

There are, however, several reading notes for this recording that need correction. There are a few other minor ones that don't need changing, but these are the ones that jumped out at me.

TIP: start at the back of the recording with your corrections so that the time stamps don't change. Then, upload the file again and post with the new file length.

2:25 “R T” -- Sounds as if the word “t” got cut off.
4:32 Text; “on the bough of a tree” I hear “on the BRO (r and long o) of a tree. The word has no “r” in it and rhymes with “now” So, bow, as in to take a bow.
5:12 “I have not seen all” The word “all” sounds cut off, and that caught my ear.
5:16 – 5:35 thee is a repeat of the phrase “A ripe fruit catches the quesal’s eye and he darts from his perch, plucks the berry, and returns to his former perch” and then the corrected, “A ripe fruit catches the quesal’s eye and he darts from his perch, plucks the berry, and returns to his former position.” Cut the first take.

5:41 Text: “A low whistle from Ca pri a no” “I hear, “A low whistle from Ca pri ni o” (maybe not so important, but you might as well include it with the other corrections).
6:39 Text: “into a loud and not unmelodious cry.” I hear something like, “into a loud and not unmelanous cry.” Which loses the meaning.

Let me know if you have any questions. It's a learning process. :)
~Larry

silverquill
Posts: 13409
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 16th, 2020, 8:48 pm

PL OK :thumbs:
~Larry

silverquill
Posts: 13409
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 16th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Lovely reading! :D

Just one little slip to correct:

2:21-27 Text: and one feels a natural repugnance to the killing of so beautiful a bird for the sake of eating it.” I hear, “and one feels a natural repungence to the killing of so beautiful a bird for the sake of eating it.” I'm not sure what repungence is, but we do lose the meaning here.
~Larry

StevenW
Posts: 27
Joined: November 26th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Post by StevenW » May 17th, 2020, 1:04 am

Section 13, 6:09
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_13_various_128kb.mp3

Just uploaded. This was a really pleasant read for me--hopefully I conveyed that in the audio.

jennlea
Posts: 413
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » May 17th, 2020, 6:33 am

silverquill wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Lovely reading! :D

Just one little slip to correct:

2:21-27 Text: and one feels a natural repugnance to the killing of so beautiful a bird for the sake of eating it.” I hear, “and one feels a natural repungence to the killing of so beautiful a bird for the sake of eating it.” I'm not sure what repungence is, but we do lose the meaning here.
Thanks, Larry! Well, I too have no idea what repungence is or why I said it that way and then didn't catch it during editing :shock:
Anywho, here is the file with the correction made. Fingers crossed my mouth and mind cooperated this time!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_07_various_128kb.mp3
3:38
-Jenn B.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16255
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 17th, 2020, 9:33 am

StevenW wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:04 am
Section 13, 6:09
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_13_various_128kb.mp3

Just uploaded. This was a really pleasant read for me--hopefully I conveyed that in the audio.
Thanks for your file, Steven. Glad you enjoyed it! It's in the MW ready for PL.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

silverquill
Posts: 13409
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 17th, 2020, 9:27 pm

jennlea wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 6:33 am
silverquill wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Lovely reading! :D

Just one little slip to correct:

2:21-27 Text: and one feels a natural repugnance to the killing of so beautiful a bird for the sake of eating it.” I hear, “and one feels a natural repungence to the killing of so beautiful a bird for the sake of eating it.” I'm not sure what repungence is, but we do lose the meaning here.
Thanks, Larry! Well, I too have no idea what repungence is or why I said it that way and then didn't catch it during editing :shock:
Anywho, here is the file with the correction made. Fingers crossed my mouth and mind cooperated this time!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjan1897_07_various_128kb.mp3
3:38
Yeah, I know the feeling! :lol:
I don't know where some of the things that come out of my mouth come from. :roll:

Perfect fix, and PL OK.
~Larry

Post Reply