[COMPLETE] Kangaroo by D. H. Lawrence-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
edbucks

Post by edbucks »

williamjones wrote: June 25th, 2020, 2:16 pm
edbucks wrote: June 24th, 2020, 7:06 am Hi, I would like to read sections 35 and 36 please.
Hey, Ed.
I'm going to reserve sections 35 and 36 for you for a couple of weeks to give you time to do the 1-minute test whose function is to be sure your equipment and file output formats meet Librivox current requirements.

Sorry for the delay, but things just didn't seem to line up. Mightyfelix explained a few things to me. (thanks)
Thanks Bill. It's been a while since I last did any sort of recording, and in this interval all my XLR cables have vanished. As soon as a new one arrives I can do you a test.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

edbucks wrote: June 26th, 2020, 3:18 am
williamjones wrote: June 25th, 2020, 2:16 pm
edbucks wrote: June 24th, 2020, 7:06 am Hi, I would like to read sections 35 and 36 please.
Hey, Ed.
I'm going to reserve sections 35 and 36 for you for a couple of weeks to give you time to do the 1-minute test whose function is to be sure your equipment and file output formats meet Librivox current requirements.

Sorry for the delay, but things just didn't seem to line up. Mightyfelix explained a few things to me. (thanks)
Thanks Bill. It's been a while since I last did any sort of recording, and in this interval all my XLR cables have vanished. As soon as a new one arrives I can do you a test.
I'm looking forward to it!
Sometimes those little devils hide out in one's sock drawer.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded sections 12, 13, 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_12_lawrence_128kb.mp3 21:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_13_lawrence_128kb.mp3 23:31
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_14_lawrence_128kb.mp3 27:13

KevinS, can you PL these for me, please?
Thank you!

This contains The Kangaroo's polemic on Ant People.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Murphy8104 wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm Final segment of Chapter 4 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_08_lawrence_128kb.mp3

It's 89.1 db and length is 20:40.

Thanks for the prior feedback. This was a fun read.

Lisa
Section 08 is PL OK!

This section seems dedicated to a portrait of Harriet. He takes pains to show her disdain for menfolk.
Really well done, Lisa. Kudos.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

I'd like to do section twenty. Thanks.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 7th, 2020, 6:34 pm I'd like to do section twenty. Thanks.
Brize, OK, you're in for Section 20.
You now appear in the MW (Magic Window)
I look forward to your recitation.

Note: this section is the first part of Chapter 10.
If you find that you like the story would like to add the second half of the Chapter, that would be good.

This is your first project recording, so it would behoove you to carefully read the First Post (FP) to learn about the format of the file name, volume, intro and outro. Also: sometimes new guys overlook that each person should Proof Listen to his file after recording it and before uploading it.

The sections in this project at NOT easy. So, if you'd like to hone your blade before chopping away at Kangaroo, look for some of the Short Story or Poetry projects which are always going on. Good practice material.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Yes, I'd be glad to do part 2 of chapter 10. It IS a little rough adapting to the old language patterns , but it seems to get better once you get into it. I'm going to tweak part 1 a bit, sort of to get familiar with the software, etc., but I'll get it in soon. Thanks
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: July 8th, 2020, 3:53 pm
PL OK!
Thanks, Kevin. That was quick.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm Yes, I'd be glad to do part 2 of chapter 10. It IS a little rough adapting to the old language patterns , but it seems to get better once you get into it. I'm going to tweak part 1 a bit, sort of to get familiar with the software, etc., but I'll get it in soon. Thanks
Thanks!! You're in the MW for section 21 too :thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

I'm kind of new, so I may have left something out, but If so, let me know and I'll fix it. If I don't hear back, I'll start on the next section. Thanks.

PS I didn't do any sort of effects or leveling (was a little intimidated by on the Audacity options) but it I need to , please advise. I'm sure I'll improve as I get a little more experience in the software. Thanks

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_20_lawrence_128kb.mp3

PPS I forgot to copy the 'tag' the first time, so there may be two copies of this file in your upload area.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 9th, 2020, 3:29 pm I'm kind of new, so I may have left something out, but If so, let me know and I'll fix it. If I don't hear back, I'll start on the next section. Thanks.

PS I didn't do any sort of effects or leveling (was a little intimidated by on the Audacity options) but it I need to , please advise. I'm sure I'll improve as I get a little more experience in the software. Thanks

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_20_lawrence_128kb.mp3

PPS I forgot to copy the 'tag' the first time, so there may be two copies of this file in your upload area.
You've dipped your toe in the Librivox pool and did good job. your first recording is a little rough around the edges, but still a good job.
I have not done the full PL (Proof Listening) job on your file; but I did do some spot-checking at various points and found these things worth mentioning:
The volume of your file is 84.4 dB, well below the preferred 89 to 92. How do I know this? because I used the "Checker" program. This is a free program which checks various features of an .mp3 audio file to see if it meets Librivox guidelines. You can read about the program and download it here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

If your file is X-dB too loud or soft, you can re-open the file in Audacity, select the whole file, then use the Amplify effect to raise or lower the volume.

There are bunch of videos on how to use Audacity. One of the best can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfcj9MZUsY

Tonight or tomorrow morning I'll PL (Proof Listen) your whole file and probably find some glitches in your recitation. I'll make notes of them to you in a posting in this thread, then you'll bring your file back into Audacity, fix the glitches then re-upload your file AND MAKE A NOTE OF HAVING DONE THAT IN THIS THREAD. And that will be the routine: you'll make fixes, I'll check them and eventually your file will be clear of egregious errors and in the Magic Window (MW) you'll see a status of PL OK. Then you move on to other sections.

You're going to be an asset to this project, Brize! Glad you're on the job. :clap:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 13

All fine except you might want to have a look at the relative drop in volume beginning at 19:50 or so. (I am wondering if this quiet tone is intentional as Kangaroo is gone.)

Otherwise, PL OK!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: July 9th, 2020, 6:05 pm Section 13

All fine except you might want to have a look at the relative drop in volume beginning at 19:50 or so. (I am wondering if this quiet tone is intentional as Kangaroo is gone.)

Otherwise, PL OK!
Many thanks, Kevin.
I'll check to see whether the dip in volume was due to a change in mic placement or being overcome with solemnity. :?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm just jumping in for a quick correction here. The volume range you gave below is almost, but not quite, right:
williamjones wrote: July 9th, 2020, 5:21 pm The volume of your file is 84.4 dB, well below the preferred 89 to 92.
(emphasis mine)

In fact, the ideal is 89 dB. We accept a range of 86-92. :)