[COMPLETE] Kangaroo by D. H. Lawrence-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

mightyfelix wrote: June 7th, 2020, 12:39 pm
Oh, I didn't know there was a section to be deleted. I'll take care of it.

I am still relatively new to the innards of LV, so Michele set everything up, except that I had to merge two sections into one, thus creating an "empty" section at the bottom of the section list.
No harm, no foul... no one has asked to be assigned that section!

Thank you for attending to this detail.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 22 and 23

Intro, reduce lead time to 1 second of silence.
Delete "Published in 1923" ( which was for the 1st section only)
3:01 the appropriation of the land by the peasants, you say apportion
31:27 a thump during the silence at the end.

23 is PL OK

Having not read the story so not knowing its breadth and depth, these two sections make the project seem pretty intense! You read them nicely. Love Kangaroo's gravely voice!

Are there any words you want to mention above the Intro regarding the pronunciation of any proper nouns: Lovat? Quay? You say Lowve-at, some might say Love-at. Some might say Kway rather than Key (both are in the dictionary). Let me know if you come across any.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

22 is PL OK.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
acousticwave

Post by acousticwave »

Here is Section 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_03_lawrence_128kb.mp3
Duration 29:44

May I claim Section 4?

Angela
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

acousticwave wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:42 am Here is Section 3

May I claim Section 4?

Angela
Yes, please do lend your vocal talents to section 4!
I'll PL your section 3 this evening.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Scarbo wrote: June 9th, 2020, 6:34 pm Hello, here's section 28:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/kangaroo_28_lawrence_128kb.mp3
File duration: 24:44
Thank you scarbo! I'll be PLing your section 28 and acousticwaves' section 3 this evening.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

rogerlbrown wrote: May 18th, 2020, 3:48 pm
msfry wrote: May 18th, 2020, 2:20 pm
rogerlbrown wrote: May 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm Hi - I would like to claim Section 5 if possible.

If so, is there a preferred pronunciation of the following words?
Torestin
Wyewurk
Toscrubin
Hi, Roger. Welcome to Librivox.
<snip>

Once you've done these preliminaries, please check back. I have reserved Section 5 (Chapter 3) for you for 2 weeks.
Got it! I skipped some steps in my eagerness. I've uploaded my 1-minute test and introduced myself here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=80156

I'll hunt down some short items to submit, and thanks for holding this section for a bit while I test the waters. Hope to accomplish both as soon as I can.
Roger,
from your 1-minute test, it's clear that you have a very good vocal instrument and crisp delivery. Michele reserved section 5 for you for 2 weeks, that is, until June 1st, which was 10 days ago. Would you please confirm whether you still want to record section 5 for this project? Just say the word and I'll flip the switch to make it officially yours. Lemme know, please.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Thank you scarbo! I'll be PLing your section 28 and acousticwaves' section 3 this evening.
Scarbo, you have a really nice voice and you recite the lines of the text with confidence and sincerity. No word slip-ups at all!
This file is PL OK.

However, I noticed many gaps of silence 2 seconds long early on in the recitation; and then at about 17:00 they become 3 seconds. These silences coincide with the gaps between paragraphs. My ear began to expect them and take my attention away from the text. Let me suggest that you take a look at the "Truncate Silence..." effect. You can set the parameters so that 2-second gaps will be pared down to 0.5 or 1.0 seconds and likewise for the 3 second gaps.
No, you don't have to do this to the current file, but I think it would be good for future files.

Thank you for this reading. I look forward to others.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2020, 5:34 pm
acousticwave wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:42 am Here is Section 3

May I claim Section 4?

Angela
Yes, please do lend your vocal talents to section 4!
I'll PL your section 3 this evening.
Angela, your reading is word perfect! That earns it a PL OK! :clap:

I've noticed something unusual between your file here, and Scarbo's, which I PLed just before attending to your file. What's unusual, is that in both word perfect files, almost every gap between paragraphs is filled with two to three seconds of silence. What do you think?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Scarbo, you have a really nice voice and you recite the lines of the text with confidence and sincerity. No word slip-ups at all!
This file is PL OK.

However, I noticed many gaps of silence 2 seconds long early on in the recitation; and then at about 17:00 they become 3 seconds. These silences coincide with the gaps between paragraphs. My ear began to expect them and take my attention away from the text. Let me suggest that you take a look at the "Truncate Silence..." effect. You can set the parameters so that 2-second gaps will be pared down to 0.5 or 1.0 seconds and likewise for the 3 second gaps.
No, you don't have to do this to the current file, but I think it would be good for future files.

Thank you! I think I overcalculated how long a pause would indicate a paragraph break. I'll be happy to truncate the silences and re-upload, but I'll wait to hear from you about whether that would be okay before proceeding.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Scarbo wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:18 am
williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

This file is PL OK.

Thank you! I think I overcalculated how long a pause would indicate a paragraph break. I'll be happy to truncate the silences and re-upload, but I'll wait to hear from you about whether that would be okay before proceeding.
Scarbo, it's generally unnecessary to insert pauses before every paragraph. Just talk fluently and smoothly. As for this file, no need to drop those paragraph-pauses and re-upload but you can drop that pause-between-paragraphs mannerism in the future and it will only improve your listeners appreciation.
Thank you for contributing to this project.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
acousticwave

Post by acousticwave »

Hello williamjones
In reply to your question.
The silences between the paragraphs are part of the rhythm of my reading.
However if you, the listener is aware of too long a silence between paragraphs, then certainly, I will take that into account when recording Section 4.

Angela
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

acousticwave wrote: June 11th, 2020, 6:06 am Hello williamjones
In reply to your question.
The silences between the paragraphs are part of the rhythm of my reading.
However if you, the listener is aware of too long a silence between paragraphs, then certainly, I will take that into account when recording Section 4.

Angela
Angela, my notice of those predictable gaps is , of course, highly subjective; and I can get a stadium full of friends and family who will attest that I am a little odd in some ways. So, you can take my comments with a grain of salt and I won't be offended in any way. Your recording was exemplary and we're lucky to have you participating in this project. I look forward to hearing Section 4.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison