[COMPLETE] Kangaroo by D. H. Lawrence-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: May 12th, 2020, 1:13 pm May I have sections 1 and 2, please?
You're in! Thanks.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kevin. Our friend Bill is DPL'ing this project, but while I am waiting for the Orkin man to show up (already 2 hours late), I am going to practice my distraction skills and have a listen.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oh, NOOOOOOO!!!!! They eat dingos? We had a dingo for 16 years. Smart, beautiful, answered to FoohFooh. Fabulous pet, if a tad headstrong and needing firm handling. He loved to do tricks, begged to do tricks, insisted on doing tricks when company came over. But he had to be crated when the food came out.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

msfry wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Scarbo wrote: May 8th, 2020, 5:54 pm Is it okay for me to go ahead and sign up for sections before the Magic Window is up? I'd like to read chapters 8 and 13. I'm a new volunteer, so I'd like to use the pseudonym Scarbo in the LV catalog.
Hi, Scarbo, I've had a chance to listen to your 1 minute test, but don't see an Introduce Yourself post where I could ascertain your level of recording experience. We don't generally encourage newbies to recording to take long sections until they get used to the process of laying down track, editing, uploading, repairing, etc. Chapter 13, Revenge, isn't too long, about 20 minutes of completed recording compared to about an hour for Chapter 8 , so I'll just reserve 13 for you. Meanwhile, I recommend you first go pick up some short pieces, say the weekly or fortnightly poetry projects, or children's books which often have short sections under 1500 words. All great for practice before you jump into trying to complete longer sections. I'll put you in our catalog as Scarbo, you have 2 months to complete anything you sign up for so no hurry, and welcome to Librivox.
Hi Scarbo! I'm happy to run into you again so soon! I'm just chiming in to let you know that Michelle's suggestion of starting with a short piece is a good idea for many readers, but it is not a requirement. Don't feel that you must limit yourself to short sections only. We want readers to read what they want! I hope you have fun with this project!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Scarbo wrote: May 8th, 2020, 5:54 pm Is it okay for me to go ahead and sign up for sections before the Magic Window is up? I'd like to read chapters 8 and 13. I'm a new volunteer, so I'd like to use the pseudonym Scarbo in the LV catalog.
Hi, Scarbo, I've had a chance to listen to your 1 minute test, but don't see an Introduce Yourself post where I could ascertain your level of recording experience. We don't generally encourage newbies to recording to take long sections until they get used to the process of laying down track, editing, uploading, repairing, etc. Chapter 13, Revenge, isn't too long, about 20 minutes of completed recording compared to about an hour for Chapter 8 , so I'll just reserve 13 for you. Meanwhile, I recommend you first go pick up some short pieces, say the weekly or fortnightly poetry projects, or children's books which often have short sections under 1500 words. All great for practice before you jump into trying to complete longer sections. I'll put you in our catalog as Scarbo, you have 2 months to complete anything you sign up for so no hurry, and welcome to Librivox.
Thanks, and sounds good. I realized after the fact that two chapters may have been biting off more than I can chew starting off. :-P I've been keeping an eye on the Short Works forum and will get my feet wet with something there before diving in with recording this.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

mightyfelix wrote: May 12th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Hi Scarbo! I'm happy to run into you again so soon! I'm just chiming in to let you know that Michelle's suggestion of starting with a short piece is a good idea for many readers, but it is not a requirement. Don't feel that you must limit yourself to short sections only. We want readers to read what they want! I hope you have fun with this project!
Thank you!
acousticwave

Post by acousticwave »

Hello Michele
May I claim Section 3?

Angela
msfry

Post by msfry »

acousticwave wrote: May 18th, 2020, 4:40 am Hello Michele
May I claim Section 3?

Angela
Thanks for joining the project. You're in for 3.
rogerlbrown

Post by rogerlbrown »

Hi - I would like to claim Section 5 if possible.

If so, is there a preferred pronunciation of the following words?
Torestin
Wyewurk
Toscrubin
msfry

Post by msfry »

rogerlbrown wrote: May 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm Hi - I would like to claim Section 5 if possible.

Torestin
Wyewurk
Toscrubin
Hi, Roger. Welcome to Librivox. I know you are excited to be here and we are excited to have you, but before you claim sections on any projects, we ask you to review your Welcome Letter carefully and follow directions there.
Especially, please submit your 1 minute test if you plan to record.
Then, it helps if you Introduce Yourself, to let us know what kind of audio experience you might have, what setup and equipment you are using (doesn't have to be professional), and anything else you'd care to share about yourself (multilingual, accents, books you like, etc.) This helps us help you as needed.

That done, it is almost always better to start out with short projects (like 1500 words or less, basically 10 minutes or less), to get the hang of reviewing the First Post (which can differ somewhat on each project), recording, editing, naming and uploading files here at Librivox, before you tackle a longer sections (which could involve hours of editing). The poetry weekly and fortnightlies (Readers Wanted, Short Works) are a great place to start, and you get to know lots of people quickly there. Also, children's books have short chapters. And you can submit short stories of your own choosing to our various collections (Coffee Break, Ghost, Horror, Love, Dreams, Chapters, etc.)

Once you've done these preliminaries, please check back. I have reserved Section 5 (Chapter 3) for you for 2 weeks.
rogerlbrown

Post by rogerlbrown »

msfry wrote: May 18th, 2020, 2:20 pm
rogerlbrown wrote: May 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm Hi - I would like to claim Section 5 if possible.

Torestin
Wyewurk
Toscrubin
Hi, Roger. Welcome to Librivox. I know you are excited to be here and we are excited to have you, but before you claim sections on any projects, we ask you to review your Welcome Letter carefully and follow directions there.
Especially, please submit your 1 minute test if you plan to record.
Then, it helps if you Introduce Yourself, to let us know what kind of audio experience you might have, what setup and equipment you are using (doesn't have to be professional), and anything else you'd care to share about yourself (multilingual, accents, books you like, etc.) This helps us help you as needed.

That done, it is almost always better to start out with short projects (like 1500 words or less, basically 10 minutes or less), to get the hang of reviewing the First Post (which can differ somewhat on each project), recording, editing, naming and uploading files here at Librivox, before you tackle a longer sections (which could involve hours of editing). The poetry weekly and fortnightlies (Readers Wanted, Short Works) are a great place to start, and you get to know lots of people quickly there. Also, children's books have short chapters. And you can submit short stories of your own choosing to our various collections (Coffee Break, Ghost, Horror, Love, Dreams, Chapters, etc.)

Once you've done these preliminaries, please check back. I have reserved Section 5 (Chapter 3) for you for 2 weeks.
Got it! I skipped some steps in my eagerness. I've uploaded my 1-minute test and introduced myself here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=80156

I'll hunt down some short items to submit, and thanks for holding this section for a bit while I test the waters. Hope to accomplish both as soon as I can.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PL Notes for section 1 & 2

I kinda feel bad about mentioning some slips in your recitations, Kevin.
Why? Because your recitions are so darned good! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It has been a while since I've listened to one of your sections. I am gob smacked at how good you've become. Wow!

In these two sections there is mention a particular flower, the DAHLIA, as in the famous book and movie, "The Black Dahlia". Can't figure out why, but when you first read the text your brain dropped a stitch and said Delilah, the name of Samson's barber(!) and wife come out of your mouth. Every time that flower's name (DAHLIA) appeared, you said DAHLILAH. I think I found them all and their positions appear in PL Notes.

AND I KNOW WHY!!! You made that simple error just to make us more mortal readers feel better. :)

PART 1 PLnotes
12:38 heard “I suppose WE must,"
s/b “I suppose you must,"
(kinda trivial)

14:50 heard "Dalilahs" (Samson's biblical barber)
s/b "Dahlias"
error repeated twice in the next sentence, too.

19:56 Repeated: "the roused spirit of the bush"

PART 2 PL notes

1:06 Daliliahs again!! s/b Dahlias
2:19 again
3:15 again
5:12
5:14
6:25

6:01 repeat "Come and see!"

14:20 Repeated: "It is the distinction between the proletariat"

This is really a good presentation, Kevin. I hope you'll take more sections in this project. :clap: :thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison