COMPLETE Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims)-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims Version).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/bible-drv-apocryphadeuterocanon-book-of-tobit-tobias-version-2-by-douay-rheims-version-drv/
This book tells the story of Tobit (Tobias), an Israelite, living in Nineveh after the northern tribes of Israel had been deported to Assyria in 721 B.C. Tobit, remains loyal to the worship of God at the temple in Jerusalem, and he is diligent in attempting to provide proper burials for fallen Israelites. One night, he sleeps in the open and is blinded by bird droppings which fall into his eyes. At the same time in Media, a young woman, Sarah prays for death in despair, because the demon, Asmodeus, abducts and kills every man she marries. God sends the angel Raphael, disguised as a human, to assist Tobias and help set things right. (ancientchristian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8317
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Bibles/Douay-Rheims Version

Keywords that describe the book: old testament, christian, jewish, tobit, tobias

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims Version). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims Version), by Tobit. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims Version) by Tobit. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims Version), by Tobit. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename bookoftobit_##_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bookoftobit_01_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Tobit
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims Version)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ancientchristian on May 9th, 2020, 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ancientchristian

This has been done before. But I would like the chance to do another one, if possible.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi. Do you have any more information about the text source and when this was published? I know the Douay-Rheims is fine but it might be a later publishing and I need to check public domain. Thanks. This is a private website who put these together from around the web and may be difficult to prove PD.
Perhaps you have another source for Tobit?
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ancientchristian

There is copy on Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8317
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ancientchristian wrote: May 8th, 2020, 2:47 pm There is copy on Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8317
Would you mind reading from that?
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ancientchristian

That would be fine.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

just curious - when I was looking for an image for the recently read version there was a picture with Tobias and Tobit in it so I thought they were different people? And that link is to Tobias while the topic title is Tobit ?

Anne
ancientchristian

I've never quite understood that either, but I looked up the Latin and the Greek. It seems in Greek the father is Τωβίτ (Tobit) while the son is Τωβίας (Tobias). However in the Latin they are both called Tobias. Maybe in Hebrew they had the same name:

{1:9} Truly, when he had become a man, he received as wife Anna of his own tribe, and he conceived a son by her, to whom he assigned his own name.

~ Since Tobit and his son have the same name, editors of various Bible editions have introduced variations on the name, so as to distinguish between the father and his son. In this translation, the father is called ‘Tobit,’ and his son is called, ‘Tobias.’ But actually, they have the same name.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll set this up for you. Do you have a DPL in mind?
ancientchristian

Thanks for setting it up. No I don't have anybody in mind for PLing it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Got it. If nobody else signs up, I will do it myself. :thumbs:
ancientchristian

Thank you. Much appreciated. This one isn't too long and it's an interesting story.

Anyway the first reading is done.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok. I'll go ahead and move us to Going Solo.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll have some time tomorrow to PL this, and assuming all is well, catalogue it. Would you mind maybe editing the description just a bit? We do have a "no spoiler" policy, and although this isn't exactly a book one would read/listen to purely for entertainment purposes, it would be nice to hold some of the ending back. Gives them a reason to listen. :wink: Also, rather than entering "myself" as the author of the summary, please put in the name you prefer using. Your catalogue name is the same as your forum name, ancientchristian, so you can enter that if you like.
ancientchristian

Good point about the description. It does go a little too far. That would be great if you could PL it.