(Complete) Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 16th, 2020, 5:42 am Section 6 is PL OK
:thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Amateur Radio Handbook is PL OK. What a period piece! Thanks!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I thought a birdwatching article would a fun entry for the hobbies theme, and was lucky to find an article about New Jersey, not far from where I grew up, so this turned out pretty neat for me.

"A-Birding Among the New Jersey Pines" by Creswell J. Hunt (??-??) (possibly Chreswell, not sure which way you want to index it, see note below)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc28_birdingnewjersey_cm_128kb.mp3

05:55

Source: https://archive.org/details/jstor-4154040/page/n1/mode/2up

Note: The article has the author's name as "Chreswell" but the research I did in trying to find his DOB/date of death (no luck on either) did show that his name is actually Creswell J. Hunt, not Chreswell. He's listed as an author or referred to as a bird authority in several other places, all with the Creswell spelling, and I also found his full name in an 1870 Philadelphia newspaper in reference to a lawsuit he was party to. Bummed I could not find any birth/death date or an obituary or findagrave.com location. I did find an entry at findagrave for a Chreswell J. Hunt who died in 1879, probably the author's father. Maybe he changed the spelling of the name at some point? Anyway, no luck on finding more info on him other than he lived in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area around the turn of the century, apparently, and liked birds a lot...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Colleen!
msfry

Post by msfry »

McQueen 1 and 2 are PL OK.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Note on A-Birding
1:49 you might wish to pronounce Pinus rigida, so it sounds like "Pine-us". Your choice. Otherwise PL OK. Just let me know.

Wow, so many species cited! My husband's daughter is a modern day birder. She has an app on her phone where she sends in all her sightings and photos, and they are entered into a national database. She earns badges and pins kept in a booklet of some kind. This is citizen science on steroids, and the knowledge of birds is increasing exponentially thereby.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

LOL that went completely by me, you are right! My house is noisy right now but I'll fix that later today and re-upload!

This was fascinating to me because I grew up in the region and I ended up down some internet rabbit holes trying to follow their path and see what is there these days. I learned more than I ever knew about cranberry farming in NJ (turns out that there were even cranberry bogs in the county where I grew up, some of the southernmost in the country, tho they are now sadly defunct).

Your daughter's birdwatching sounds really cool! We have gotten into it a bit since my wife set up some feeders and birdhouses in our yard. The only species in the NJ article that I definitely have also seen in my Georgia yard is the Carolina wren -- we had a nesting pair on our porch last year and it was pretty cool to watch the whole cycle play out.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I may have an article on a totally different hobby topic to record, are we allowed to do more than one per collection?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

msfry

Post by msfry »

ColleenMc wrote: May 18th, 2020, 9:36 am I may have an article on a totally different hobby topic to record, are we allowed to do more than one per collection?

Colleen
Yes, 3. :9:
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Thousand Quilt Parts 1 and 2, are PL OK.

I've a good mind to transfer them over to the upcoming Love Stories Collection #3, though. Because, because, because, it is a really fantastic love story! What do you think? It would require a different intro and file name on each file. Up to you, of course.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

It is true that the story, which centers around the quilt, is really about the awakening of love in the child's aunt. And a touching story it is.

So I would not be averse to using the story in a separate book about love in this series.

But, as quilters are every bit as devoted, fastidious and, to be honest, addicted, in their love of their craft as true lovers, I would really like to include some kind of tribute to quilting within this section, Hobbies. Let me know, and I'll go on another search to find a fitting tribute....
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Rita,

I had bookmarked this Good Housekeeping article about quilting as a possible piece for this collection:

https://archive.org/details/goodhousekeepin05unkngoog/page/n78/mode/2up

You are welcome to use it here if you decide to move the other piece over to the Love Stories collection!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

msfry

Post by msfry »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 18th, 2020, 10:45 am It is true that the story, which centers around the quilt, is really about the awakening of love in the child's aunt. And a touching story it is.

So I would not be averse to using the story in a separate book about love in this series.

But, as quilters are every bit as devoted, fastidious and, to be honest, addicted, in their love of their craft as true lovers, I would really like to include some kind of tribute to quilting within this section, Hobbies. Let me know, and I'll go on another search to find a fitting tribute....
In which case it can be just one file, for Love Stories can be up to an hour in length. I've launched Love Stories 3 today, and am waiting for an MC and a MW. At that point, yes, I'd love this story to be moved over there, and to include another quilting story here. You'll just change the intro, join the two sections together, rename, re-up. Piece of cake for you! :thumbs:
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Thank you kindly, Colleen.
Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll check out the article and see... :D