COMPLETE: {SOLO} Europe and Elsewhere by Mark Twain - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
johng

Post by johng »

Europe and Elsewhere by Mark Twain (1835 - 1910).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/europe-and-elsewhere-by-mark-twain/
This collection of articles came from Mark Twain's travels and experiences abroad. While many had been previously published, there also were many that had never before seen the light of day...which one reviewer said had never been Twain's intent for them, having consigned them to obscurity. With introductory essays by Brander Matthews and Albert Bigelow Paine, the book paints a clear picture of the complexity and wide variety of Samuel L. Clemens' thinking, where it originated and how it developed.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/completeworksofm20twai/page/n13/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: yJTGRxqg
      ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/History /Modern (20th C); Humorous Fiction; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; Short Stories/Single Author Collections; *Non-fiction/Humor; *Non-fiction/Literary Collections/Short non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Writing & Linguistics

Keywords that describe the book: twain, clemens, mark twain, paine, Samuel L. Clemens, howells, rare unpublished works

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of Europe and Elsewhere. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Europe and Elsewhere, by Mark Twain. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number] of Europe and Elsewhere by Mark Twain. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Europe and Elsewhere, by Mark Twain. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    • Example filename europeandelsewhere_##_twain_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. europeandelsewhere_01_twain_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags
      Artist: Mark Twain
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Europe and Elsewhere

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny - linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!
johng

Post by johng »

linny

Post by linny »

Hi John,
The Archive version shows the book was published in 1923 the same as the other source. It's fine to use, I've updated the initial post.

I can MC for you. Do you have a DPL in mind? Are you sure you want word perfect? It's much more difficult to find a PLer and we generally only see word perfect for scientific or religious text.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Hi John and Linney
I can DPL this if it goes standard DPL :D
Cheryls
johng

Post by johng »

Thanks for your offer!!
However I do have to insist on word perfect PL Because that’s the standard that I set back in 2006 when I started this series ...Wayback then...
Ut I totally understand your reluctance to go that route...
I know it’s more difficult but… I need to maintain that standard! Thanks again for the offer!
Iit’s very much appreciated
– John
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Just as a drive-by side note:

After all the stuff you have done on Mark Twain, you can still find new material. :shock:
It fascinates me.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
johng

Post by johng »

I am in Awe of his output...constantly being surprised and amazed!!
I wish I could go further with the New York Times articles!!!! (Still not PD beyond 1924)
😩😒
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

John - That standard and your readings are wonderful - I wish I could PL just to be a part of it, but vision issues makes it difficult. Good luck and thanks for all you have done (you are Mark Twain to me). Cheryls
johng

Post by johng »

That’s very kind if you!!
Thanks so much!!

:-)
cimt

Post by cimt »

Hi!
I would be interested in doing word-perfect Proof-Listening for this project. I know I am a new volunteer and I don't have that much experience but I think I could be very helpful and enjoy carefully reading through an amazing work by Mark Twain. I would understand if you would rather have a more experienced DPL. Just let me know if you are interested!
Carisa

"Anything's better than lying and deceit." -Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
johng

Post by johng »

Thank you Carissa!
We all have to start somewhere!
I would very much appreciate your help.

One thing to note... since this is a published work and not from Gutenberg Project… If there are any typos, I won’t say SIC ... I’ll just make the correction, assuming that it has to be the way it was intended.
As soon as my last project Is published, I’ll start sending the sections in.
👍😃
linny

Post by linny »

cimt wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:45 pm Hi!
I would be interested in doing word-perfect Proof-Listening for this project. I know I am a new volunteer and I don't have that much experience but I think I could be very helpful and enjoy carefully reading through an amazing work by Mark Twain. I would understand if you would rather have a more experienced DPL. Just let me know if you are interested!
My internet is not very helpful right now. I can't get you entered as DPL but I'll try again later.

Once I get you entered your forum name will show at the top of the MW. As DPL, you will be responsible for changing the workflow status (last box) from Ready to PL to PL OK or See PL notes.

The MW requires a separate password from your LV password. Here is how you can set that up. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ This will NOT work until I get you added as DPL.

Please ask if you have any questions along the way.
linny

Post by linny »

John,
I'm going to move us over to going solo now. :D
linny

Post by linny »

Carisa,
You are in! Let me know if you have any problems with the MW.
cimt

Post by cimt »

linny wrote: May 10th, 2020, 8:44 am Carisa,
You are in! Let me know if you have any problems with the MW.
Thank you so much!
Carisa

"Anything's better than lying and deceit." -Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina