COMPLETE: SOLO Against Jovinianus by Saint Jerome - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 3rd, 2020, 10:39 am

Against Jovinianus by Saint Jerome (347 - 420). Translated by Philip Schaff (1819 - 1893) and others

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/against-jovinianus-by-saint-jerome/

Jovinianus, had published at Rome a treatise containing the following opinions: (1) "That a virgin is no better as such than a wife in the sight of God. (2) Abstinence is no better than a thankful partaking of food. (3) A person baptized with the Spirit as well as with water cannot sin. (4) All sins are equal. (5) There is but one grade of punishment and one of reward in the future state." Also he held the birth of our Lord to have been natural, rather than that Jesus passed through the walls of the womb as His Resurrection body afterwards did out of the tomb. All these opinions were condemned in synods at that city and at Milan (about A.D. 390). He subsequently sent Jovinian's books to Jerome, who answered them in the present treatise in the year 393. Book I is wholly on (1), marriage and virginity. Chp 4-13 are Jerome's sense, of St. Paul's teaching in 1 Cor. vii. In chp. 14-39 Jerome uses both the Old and the New Testaments. Chp. 40 praises virginity and single marriages from examples in the heathen world. ( A shortened version from the introduction.)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924096463470/page/n387/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: marriage, early church, virginity, church father, chastity

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Against Jovinianus by Saint Jerome. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Against Jovinianus, by Saint Jerome. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Against Jovinianus by Saint Jerome. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Against Jovinianus, by Saint Jerome."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename againstjovinianus_##_jerome_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. againstjovinianus_01_jerome_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kikisaulite
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » May 4th, 2020, 7:50 am

Hi! I will MC this for you and set the MW up shortly.

Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » May 4th, 2020, 7:56 am

How many chapters are you planning? The template behind scenes showed me that you wanted 7, but there was 18 in the first post... I've put up 7 now, but can easily add more if 18 was the correct number.

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 4th, 2020, 8:52 am

Thanks for setting everything up. :)

But yes it seems I underestimated how long each section is. So I switched from 10 sections / chapter to 5. I just added the extra chapters in the MW, easy enough.

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » May 4th, 2020, 9:01 am

Great, then you are all good to go! I'll leave this thread here for a few days in hopes we can attract a DPL and then move to Solos forum.

K. :)

wib66

Post by wib66 » May 5th, 2020, 6:55 am

Happy to DPL on this one for you
Michele

Glad to be back.
It's much better to do good in a way that no one knows anything about it. From Anna Karenina

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 5th, 2020, 10:27 am

Fantastic! Glad to have you PLing to this one... hopefully you're not married... otherwise Book I might be super annoying.

A couple of questions from my end. I've been skipping the chapter/paragraph numbers since they don't seem relevant and I assume they were not in the original text. However I could add them in if you felt that was important. Also what about the introductory remarks? Both books have short introductions. Again they're not part of the original work. I'm happy to skip them, but again if you feel like they're important or they should be in there, it's no problem for me to read them.

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » May 5th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Adding Michele as DPL!

As to the introductions, I would say to skip them, because they are part of the "A select library..." from where you are taking this particular original work, but not of the work itself.

The same to chapter numbers. I see them more as technical marks in the text. Reading them would only disrupt the flow of the language of the work itself.

Also moving this thread to Solos forum.

K. :)

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 5th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback K. I'll move forward with Book II then.

wib66

Post by wib66 » May 5th, 2020, 12:43 pm

section 1 is PL OK
Michele

Glad to be back.
It's much better to do good in a way that no one knows anything about it. From Anna Karenina

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 6th, 2020, 1:19 pm

First take is done. Chaste, vegan, ascetic Christians of the world rejoice!

Michelle, good to hear you're making progress.

wib66

Post by wib66 » May 8th, 2020, 3:05 am

Sections 2,3,4 and 5 are PL OK
Michele

Glad to be back.

wib66

Post by wib66 » May 8th, 2020, 4:15 am

Section 6 is PL OK

Section 7 PL Notes

9:17 repeat needs editing
Michele

Glad to be back.

wib66

Post by wib66 » May 8th, 2020, 5:51 am

Sections 8, 9 and 10 are PL OK
Michele

Glad to be back.

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Great. Thanks for being so quick with this.

I cut out the duplicate portion of 7.