COMPLETE - [GRP MEMOIR] Chateau and Country Life in France by Mary King Waddington - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Please do! Thanks!

Edit to add: ElizabethoftheSea I see you are new here, I will reserve your section for now and assign it to you as soon as your 1 minute test is finalized and you are added to catalog as a reader.

Welcome!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

KevinS wrote: April 26th, 2020, 1:17 pm Here is Section 12, but please don't place it in the Magic Window yet. I want to check on some of the French first.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/chateauandcountrylife_12_waddington_128kb.mp3 (21:14)

If I am struck and killed by a bus in the meantime, then you've got this at least!
Hi Kevin,

How are you feeling about this section? ready for it to go to MW? I can give it a preliminary prooflisten if it will help!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

ElizabethOfTheSea wrote: May 1st, 2020, 7:36 am Hello!

This memoir feels like a little vacation to the French countryside in book form! May I read section 15, "A Corner of Normandy"?
Hi ElizabethoftheSea! In order to assign this section to you, I need to create your reader page. To do that I need to know what name you want listed in the catalog (can be the same as or different from your forum name -- it's the name you use when you say "Read by (name)" in the intros and outros when recording. You can use your full real name or a "handle" that is the same as or different from your name here in the forums. Just pick whatever you want to use consistently when identifying yourself while recording (if you want to do so, many people don't.)

The second thing I need is the link to any website you want linked to your profile, if you have a personal website, blog, or social media site where you want people to find you if they like your reading. That's totally optional. But I definitely need your catalog page name so I can set that up and assign your requested section to you.

Thanks!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Don't lose hope in me, please! I've got both sections done now and have a means of checking the French pronunciation! I'll have both uploaded soon.
adamgamm

Post by adamgamm »

May I please claim section 3?
Thank you! :)
– Adam Gammons
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi adamgamm! In order to assign this section to you, I need to create your reader page. To do that I need to know what name you want listed in the catalog (can be the same as or different from your forum name -- it's the name you use when you say "Read by (name)" in the intros and outros when recording. You can use your full real name or a "handle" that is the same as or different from your name here in the forums. Just pick whatever you want to use consistently when identifying yourself while recording (if you want to do so, many people don't.)

The second thing I need is the link to any website you want linked to your profile, if you have a personal website, blog, or social media site where you want people to find you if they like your reading. That's totally optional. But I definitely need your catalog page name so I can set that up and assign your requested section to you.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

adamgamm

Post by adamgamm »

Hi again Colleen!
Sure thing! The name I'd like to use is Adam Gammons and my website is https://www.adamgammons.com/ .
Please let me know if there's anything else you need from me to get started :)
Thanks!
– Adam Gammons
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Adam!

You are now official! Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/14327 You can use it to check on your projects or find links to your completed projects. I also use my own page to make sure I'm correctly keeping track of all the projects I've signed up for. You can order your page by release date -- the "in progress" works are then all on the bottom/last page of your list in one spot and you can make sure you haven't forgotten about anything (or maybe that's just a me problem...).

Welcome to Librivox, looking forward to hearing your recording, you are officially signed up for section 3!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Here are Sections 1 and 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/chateauandcountrylife_01_waddington_128kb.mp3
29:26

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/chateauandcountrylife_02_waddington_128kb.mp3
22:56

This was a fun though challenging read with all the French and I apologize it took so long to get it done.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks Jenn! You are fine, as you can see the project hasn’t been overwhelmed with signups so far so it’s all good.

Are you interested in doing another chapter?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

jennlea

Post by jennlea »

ColleenMc wrote: May 28th, 2020, 3:01 pm Thanks Jenn! You are fine, as you can see the project hasn’t been overwhelmed with signups so far so it’s all good.

Are you interested in doing another chapter?

Colleen
Sure! I’ll take Section 6 for now. Once I finish up some other projects, I may see if any other chapters catch my eye :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Vaishali62

Post by Vaishali62 »

Hello ,
I want to claim Section 4
Here's my test recording link

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_vaishali_2.mp3
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Vaishali62, welcome to Librivox!

I'll be happy to add you once you have completed your 1 minute test followup and have been approved there. I saw linny had some notes for you and requested a re-upload with the requested adjustments.

Once that is finished, I'll need you to tell me here what name you want to use for your name in the catalog. Some people use the same name as their username on this forum, others use their real first/last name, still others use a nickname or pseudonym. Also if you have a website you want to link in your profile, let me know that too. Then I can set you up in the catalog and assign the section to you officially.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

adamgamm

Post by adamgamm »

Hello again,
I've completed Section 03. I really hope I've done everything to your liking! I'm new to this, so my biggest concern is the technical aspect of things. But I've read lots of articles and watched lots of tutorials, so I hope it's paid off!

Here's the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/chateauandcountrylife_03_waddington_128kb.mp3
Length:
25:59

I'd also be happy to go ahead and sign up for Section 5 now, provided it's not yet spoken for and you find no issue with this first recording of course.
Thank you!
– Adam Gammons
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Adam!

Thanks for submitting your recording. I listened to a few minutes of it and I first want to say that you have a very nice reading voice and I like your soft Southern accent. Your pace and speed of reading are good.

However, when I checked your specs, there are a few issues with your recording. DON'T WORRY this is completely normal newbie stuff, there's a learning curve on the technical side. A lot of this stuff you just need to set once and never worry about again, but it can take a while to get all those things automated.

So first of all, you should know that there is a handy little program to check the specs on your audio files that was created specifically for checking Librivox recordings. You can download it here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/ Just install Checker on your computer, open it, and after you convert your Audacity (or whatever recording program you use) files to mp3 format, grab the mp3 file and drop it on the open Checker program and it will run your file against the specs and tell you pass or fail -- if fail, it will tell you what needs fixing.

Note: The default setup of Checker doesn't show you the background noise level. To get that to show up in the window, open the Validation menu and select the checkbox for background noise and click the change button. You may need to close out Checker and reopen it to get it to register the change. I can't remember what the original settings default to in Checker, but when I looked at mine just now, there are 5 checkboxes and I have 4 selected, all but ID3 tags (that's handled automatically now so we don't have to add them or check for them).

In this case, Checker tells me that:

1) Your recording is in stereo and it needs to be in mono. Here's a video on how to fix that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx0q7IfLiw&feature=youtu.be

(This video is by our very own Phil Chenevert -- there are lots of YouTube videos about working with Audacity, but I like Phil's because they are specifically about using Audacity for Librivox recordings. If you want to get further into the guts of Audacity at any point, I recommend checking out all his videos!)

Since most people use Audacity to do music and other stereo recordings, it defaults to stereo, but once you fix that setting, you won't have to worry about it again. Before you make another recording, go to the toolbar at the top with the pulldown menus for selecting input and output--on that same bar is a pulldown that lets you pick between stereo and mono recording. Pull that down and select mono and it will default to that forever after and you'll never have to think about it again.

2) Your volume is too low. The accepted range for recordings is between 86 and 92, and we shoot to be at or close to 89. Your volume on the file right now is 85.3. In Audacity you can select the whole file and then use the Amplify option in the Effects menu to increase the volume. Taking it up by 2-3 decibels should put you right in the sweet spot. (Note: as the above video says, the whole project will get a little louder when you convert it from stereo to mono, so I would suggest you do that first, save the file, convert to mp3 and run it through checker. Since your current volume isn't far off the 86 minimum, this might push you over the top, or at least get you to where you don't need to amplify it by as much.

3) Your background noise is reading at 37.9 which is a little high. With the ambient noise where I record, my recordings generally come in with 30-32 Db background, and I've found running noise reduction (under Effects menu) twice gets it down to 24ish without affecting the quality of the recording. If you haven't already done noise reduction at all, here's a video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvhqw7zBmEo If you haven't done any noise reduction already, I would suggest doing it once, then saving and exporting to mp3 and running Checker and see what one pass does to the background noise level.

Once you have made these fixes, upload your file again and post here, then it will be ready for prooflistening and I'll add it to the magic window.

In the meantime, I'm glad you want to take on another chapter and I'll put that in the window as well!

Thanks!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon