Post by cadastra »

pschempf wrote: May 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm Leni/Cadastra -

Here's section 12 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/georgics_12_virgil_128kb.mp3
Track length: 13:39
Section 12 is PL OK.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

How lovely, I'm very fond of the Georgics and don't know this translation! May I have Section 1 please?

(i've managed to get the text on the kindle both as a facsimile in PDF, and a MOBI version, which is partly set out as verse like the original and partly runs on like solid prose. It's not the clearest form of text but it will be an interesting challenge! Out of interest, what have other people done to get the text to read from? :?: :hmm: )
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

LucyK wrote: May 10th, 2020, 9:57 am How lovely, I'm very fond of the Georgics and don't know this translation! May I have Section 1 please?

(i've managed to get the text on the kindle both as a facsimile in PDF, and a MOBI version, which is partly set out as verse like the original and partly runs on like solid prose. It's not the clearest form of text but it will be an interesting challenge! Out of interest, what have other people done to get the text to read from? :?: :hmm: )

Thanks, Lucy. Section assigned. I find this translation quite charming, I enjoy the fact it was done by a woman and find it more readable than other famous ones too. I always read on the computer, so, not sure how it shows on the Kindle. I agree the PDF is not the most comfortable ever, but it was the only version of it I could find with the clear public domain date.
Leni
=================
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Lucy -

A link to the text you should use is provided in the first post of this thread. -
https://archive.org/details/georgicsvergil00presgoog/mode/2up

The text is available in a variety of formats listed along the right edge of the display, but I find the pdf version is easiest for me to use. I download the text and print the pages I want to read. Printing them gives me larger font size that's more legible for my old eyes.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Thanks Leni and Fritz,

I've just been looking at it further. In fact the facsimile version really is the only one to use, and seems OK, if a bit small font, on the Kindle. I like using the latter for Librivox work not least because page turning can be done silently, and it takes up less room on a rather restricted surface around computer and microphone. (Plus printing has been getting a bit expensive on a limited ink contract here in France with all the attestations I've had to print out, fill in and sign every day twice a day for two months just to walk the dog!)

The pdf digitised version given on the sidebar isn't very satisfactory at all as the formatting is inconsistent and some of the transcriptions are very bizarre indeed! However, it is useful to have to hand to check some of the proper nouns and other 19th century Latin words for reference and pronunciation, as a quick underline usually yields a dictionary or Wiki note with explanation and phonetics!

It is a really nice translation isn't it? Very delicate versifying and not too much 19th century fancified diction at all! A really lovely find, I'm very pleased to be in on it.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

LucyK wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:46 am Section 1 is uploaded :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/georgics_01_virgil_128kb.mp3

Time: 11.34

Thanks much, Lucy!
Leni
=================
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Can I do 5 & 6 please? (Since beekeepings already taken I'll have the vineyard!)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

LucyK wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:49 am Can I do 5 & 6 please? (Since beekeepings already taken I'll have the vineyard!)
Sure, thanks for claiming! :D
Leni
=================
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

LucyK wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:46 am Section 1 is uploaded :)

Time: 11.34
Lucy,
What beautiful reading! I just have a few PL notes...
0:00 Too much silence at beginning (should be max of 0.5-1 second, currently 1.5 seconds)
0:47 Misreading that changes meaning ("who nurtures the thrifty bees" read as "who matures the thrifty bees"

Please edit and reupload. Thanks so much.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Will do, thanks a lot!
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Edit done, hope it's OK.

Silly me, shouldn't have missed that, 'matures' neither scans nor makes sense!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

LucyK wrote: May 19th, 2020, 10:21 pm Edit done, hope it's OK.

Silly me, shouldn't have missed that, 'matures' neither scans nor makes sense!

Thanks, Lucy
Leni
=================
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read section 3?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

alanmapstone wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:00 pm May I read section 3?
Sure, thanks for claiming!
Leni
=================