COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 01, The Renaissance-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
ColleenMc
Posts: 2112
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » September 4th, 2020, 7:39 am

Could I claim sections 50-52 (the remainder of the Economic Changes chapter)?

Thanks,
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

Kazbek
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » September 4th, 2020, 2:21 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 7:39 am
Could I claim sections 50-52 (the remainder of the Economic Changes chapter)?

Thanks,
Colleen
Thanks! Assigned. :)

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » September 4th, 2020, 2:51 pm

cadastra wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 7:35 pm
rainbowsnsunshine wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 3:08 am
Hello, this is chapter 49. https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_49_128kb.mp3
thank you for the opportunity :)
Thank you, rainbowsnsunshine! What wonderful reading. I do have a few PL notes for Section 49...

First of all, there was significant buzzing and humming in the background of your recording which detracted from your reading. Please eliminate this background noise using Audacity's noise cleaning feature. To perform noise cleaning, please follow the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning. You are going to want to get a noise sample on a few seconds that contain both the high-pitched buzzing and the low hum in order to eliminate both from your entire recording. See 03:35 to hear an example of the buzzing I am talking about. (I listened to some of another recording that you submitted to Ann's/icequeen's project, and the background noise sounds much, much better. Perhaps you could use the same method to clean this recording as you used to clean the recording you submitted to Ann's project.)

There were also some periods of white noise. Noise cleaning will make this white noise quieter, but in my opinion, it should still be edited out. I have noted the timestamps of the white noise below.

0:33 No need to say "Chapter 15, Economic Change" a second time; also, a few seconds of white noise before this need to be deleted
01:20-01:26 Loud background noise (car?), white noise, and long silence
08:14-08:19 White noise and long silence
10:29 Car beeping in background
12:03 Bump in background
20:49 Click from editing
21:59-22:02 Long silence with noise in background
24:13-24:15 Long silence
31:54-31:57 Long silence
33:12 Stumble/repeat ("on the northern side of the . . . on the northern side of the Mediterranean")
34:38 5 seconds of silence needed at end of file (currently only 3)

Another note for next time (you don't need to do anything about this right now): When I opened your file in Audacity, I noticed that there was significant clipping. Clipping occurs when the input volume is too high, either due to your microphone settings or microphone placement (i.e. you are speaking too close to the microphone). The volume of your voice is too high for the microphone to record, which causes audio distortion. Luckily, there is a quick and easy way to fix how much sound the microphone picks up, and you can continue to speak in your normal voice without moving your microphone around. Learn how to adjust the input volume using your computer here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level. Once you adjust the input volume, you can check to make sure the volume of your files are still within range (87-91 dB) using Checker: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Please make the above changes and re-upload the file using the same file name. (You can adjust your input volume, too, but obviously that won't affect the files you have already recorded.) Post in this thread with the new file duration when you are ready for spot PL. Thanks so much - let me know if you have any questions.
Hi Cadastra,

It doesn't look like the reader is coming back to address these, so I gave it a shot myself, to see if we should keep the recording or reopen the section, now that we have another reader who's interested in the chapter. Could you spot PL my edits?

Thanks,
Michael

nboman
Posts: 13
Joined: May 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Location: Williamsburg, VA

Post by nboman » September 9th, 2020, 10:01 am

Here is a revised version of section 8. Sorry about the delay:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_08_128kb.mp3

Nate

Kazbek
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » September 9th, 2020, 5:15 pm

nboman wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:01 am
Here is a revised version of section 8. Sorry about the delay:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_08_128kb.mp3

Nate
Thank you, Nate! No worries. Please also let us know the new duration.

Michael

cadastra
Posts: 1009
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » September 11th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Kazbek wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 2:51 pm
cadastra wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 7:35 pm
rainbowsnsunshine wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 3:08 am
Hello, this is chapter 49. https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_49_128kb.mp3
thank you for the opportunity :)
Thank you, rainbowsnsunshine! What wonderful reading. I do have a few PL notes for Section 49...

First of all, there was significant buzzing and humming in the background of your recording which detracted from your reading. Please eliminate this background noise using Audacity's noise cleaning feature. To perform noise cleaning, please follow the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning. You are going to want to get a noise sample on a few seconds that contain both the high-pitched buzzing and the low hum in order to eliminate both from your entire recording. See 03:35 to hear an example of the buzzing I am talking about. (I listened to some of another recording that you submitted to Ann's/icequeen's project, and the background noise sounds much, much better. Perhaps you could use the same method to clean this recording as you used to clean the recording you submitted to Ann's project.)

There were also some periods of white noise. Noise cleaning will make this white noise quieter, but in my opinion, it should still be edited out. I have noted the timestamps of the white noise below.

0:33 No need to say "Chapter 15, Economic Change" a second time; also, a few seconds of white noise before this need to be deleted
01:20-01:26 Loud background noise (car?), white noise, and long silence
08:14-08:19 White noise and long silence
10:29 Car beeping in background
12:03 Bump in background
20:49 Click from editing
21:59-22:02 Long silence with noise in background
24:13-24:15 Long silence
31:54-31:57 Long silence
33:12 Stumble/repeat ("on the northern side of the . . . on the northern side of the Mediterranean")
34:38 5 seconds of silence needed at end of file (currently only 3)

Another note for next time (you don't need to do anything about this right now): When I opened your file in Audacity, I noticed that there was significant clipping. Clipping occurs when the input volume is too high, either due to your microphone settings or microphone placement (i.e. you are speaking too close to the microphone). The volume of your voice is too high for the microphone to record, which causes audio distortion. Luckily, there is a quick and easy way to fix how much sound the microphone picks up, and you can continue to speak in your normal voice without moving your microphone around. Learn how to adjust the input volume using your computer here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level. Once you adjust the input volume, you can check to make sure the volume of your files are still within range (87-91 dB) using Checker: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Please make the above changes and re-upload the file using the same file name. (You can adjust your input volume, too, but obviously that won't affect the files you have already recorded.) Post in this thread with the new file duration when you are ready for spot PL. Thanks so much - let me know if you have any questions.
Hi Cadastra,

It doesn't look like the reader is coming back to address these, so I gave it a shot myself, to see if we should keep the recording or reopen the section, now that we have another reader who's interested in the chapter. Could you spot PL my edits?

Thanks,
Michael
Wow! How did you do that?! Yes, this sounds much better! I'll mark it as PL OK.

cadastra
Posts: 1009
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » September 11th, 2020, 6:13 pm

nboman wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:01 am
Here is a revised version of section 8. Sorry about the delay:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_08_128kb.mp3

Nate
Hi Nate,
Much, much better! You only missed two repeats. The first one is at 07:51 ("which was beginning to stir European minds to their depths at time when it was written"). The second one is at 08:38 ("and country gent . . . gentleman").

Also, the volume is now too loud at 94.9 dB (87-91 dB is acceptable, and we aim for 89 dB). To adjust the volume in Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number -5.9 dB. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker (quick and easy to download to your computer).

Just edit and re-upload and you'll be good to go!

Kazbek
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » September 11th, 2020, 6:43 pm

cadastra wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Wow! How did you do that?! Yes, this sounds much better! I'll mark it as PL OK.
Great, thanks! I'm glad we could salvage this reader's effort. A couple of background noises were a bit tricky, but I figured voice matching was not an option for me. :D

Michael

cadastra
Posts: 1009
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » September 14th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Kikisaulite wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:03 pm
And section 25, duration 45:11

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_25_128kb.mp3
Section 25 PL notes:
0:57 Repeat ("on hi . . . his borders")

cadastra
Posts: 1009
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » September 14th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Kazbek wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:43 pm
cadastra wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Wow! How did you do that?! Yes, this sounds much better! I'll mark it as PL OK.
Great, thanks! I'm glad we could salvage this reader's effort. A couple of background noises were a bit tricky, but I figured voice matching was not an option for me. :D

Michael
Ha! I'm guessing you're right about that!

nboman
Posts: 13
Joined: May 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Location: Williamsburg, VA

Post by nboman » September 16th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Hopefully third time is the charm. Here is Section 8. It is 32:31.


https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_08_128kb.mp3


cadastra wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:13 pm
nboman wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:01 am
Here is a revised version of section 8. Sorry about the delay:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_08_128kb.mp3

Nate
Hi Nate,
Much, much better! You only missed two repeats. The first one is at 07:51 ("which was beginning to stir European minds to their depths at time when it was written"). The second one is at 08:38 ("and country gent . . . gentleman").

Also, the volume is now too loud at 94.9 dB (87-91 dB is acceptable, and we aim for 89 dB). To adjust the volume in Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number -5.9 dB. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker (quick and easy to download to your computer).

Just edit and re-upload and you'll be good to go!

Kazbek
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » September 16th, 2020, 7:12 pm

nboman wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Hopefully third time is the charm. Here is Section 8. It is 32:31.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_08_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Nate!

Michael

Murphy8104
Posts: 75
Joined: April 15th, 2020, 9:39 am

Post by Murphy8104 » September 18th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Hi - I'm almost complete with Section 39. Can you Assign me Section 40?

Thanks.


Lisa

Kazbek
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » September 18th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Murphy8104 wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Hi - I'm almost complete with Section 39. Can you Assign me Section 40?

Thanks.


Lisa
Great, thanks! We'll get section 27 PLed shortly.

Michael

wildlindajohnson
Posts: 769
Joined: July 27th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Post by wildlindajohnson » September 19th, 2020, 6:34 am

I can take Section 41.
Linda Johnson

Post Reply