COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 01, The Renaissance-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

Section 12 please - I am new to this by the way.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I hate to be a pest, but it would be great if someone could keep the MW up to date. I just read through much of section 7 to see if I would like it, and was going to request it, but while reading though the last of the postings here I see that at least two readers had wanted it and that 8-10 have also been 'awarded' but the MW says they are still 'open'. It is a pain to read through all the posts and note which ones have been awarded.

Thanks
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

LydiaElle wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:04 am Section 12 please - I am new to this by the way.
Welcome! :) Please let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one. In the meantime, I'll mark the assignment in the MW notes. Please check to make sure that it's what you wanted (section 12 and not chapter XII).

We strongly encourage new readers to start with a 1-Minute Test. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software is configured in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust its configuration before you record your first contribution.

Michael
Last edited by Kazbek on May 4th, 2020, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kalamareader wrote: May 4th, 2020, 11:17 am I hate to be a pest, but it would be great if someone could keep the MW up to date. I just read through much of section 7 to see if I would like it, and was going to request it, but while reading though the last of the postings here I see that at least two readers had wanted it and that 8-10 have also been 'awarded' but the MW says they are still 'open'. It is a pain to read through all the posts and note which ones have been awarded.

Thanks
Hi, Wayne. The MW is being kept up to date. All the sections that you see with the status of open are actually open (except section 12, which is earmarked in the notes pending catalog name selection). I would not try to infer the status from messages that are older than the BC's last post. In this case, there's been some terminological miscommunication and PM follow-ups. It's my job as BC to keep track of all that so readers don't have to. :) Let me know which section(s) you'd like to read.

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Thanks for you prompt reply. I guess I will just go by the MW. I was looking at another reading, and read through it before I tried to claim it, but when I did, another reader claimed it while I was reading over it. :(

Anyway, I would like to claim section 7. We will claim just one for right now.

Thanks for your hard work.

Wayne
Wayne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kalamareader wrote: May 4th, 2020, 5:59 pm Thanks for you prompt reply. I guess I will just go by the MW. I was looking at another reading, and read through it before I tried to claim it, but when I did, another reader claimed it while I was reading over it. :(

Anyway, I would like to claim section 7. We will claim just one for right now.

Thanks for your hard work.

Wayne
Thanks! Section 7 (Chapter II, part 2) is yours. :D

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, here is Section 7

cambridgemodernhistory1_07_128kb.mp3

Time: 31:52

Wayne
Wayne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kalamareader wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:28 pm Well, here is Section 7

cambridgemodernhistory1_07_128kb.mp3

Time: 31:52

Wayne
Thank you, Wayne. That was quick! :shock:

Michael
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

Kazbek wrote: May 4th, 2020, 1:56 pm
LydiaElle wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:04 am Section 12 please - I am new to this by the way.
Welcome! :) Please let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one. In the meantime, I'll mark the assignment in the MW notes. Please check to make sure that it's what you wanted (section 12 and not chapter XII).

We strongly encourage new readers to start with a 1-Minute Test. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software is configured in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust its configuration before you record your first contribution.

Michael
Thank you Michael. Please use "Lydia Loh". Yes Section 12 (Italy) please.

Thanks for the pointer, I will do that.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

LydiaElle wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:26 am
Thank you Michael. Please use "Lydia Loh". Yes Section 12 (Italy) please.

Thanks for the pointer, I will do that.
Thanks, Lydia. Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/14235

Michael
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

Kazbek wrote: May 4th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Michael
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the welcome. Here is my 1 minute test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lydiaelle.mp3

Thanks too for sending me my page.

Thanks,
Lydia
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

OOPS!!

I just realized that I sent you the wrong file name. I sent the original rather than the one that I got off of the 'uploader'. What do you want me to do? Can you find it, or should I reupload it, or.........?
Wayne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

LydiaElle wrote: May 5th, 2020, 10:18 am Hi Michael,

Thanks for the welcome. Here is my 1 minute test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lydiaelle.mp3

Thanks,
Lydia
Hi Lydia,

There are a couple of settings that need to be adjusted:
  1. The bit rate is 78 kbps; it should be 128 kbps.
  2. The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate.
Assuming you're using Audacity, these settings are described in steps 6-1 and 6-2 on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3

Please upload an updated test and reply in this thread.

A couple of other comments:
Michael
Last edited by Kazbek on May 5th, 2020, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kalamareader wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:01 am OOPS!!

I just realized that I sent you the wrong file name. I sent the original rather than the one that I got off of the 'uploader'. What do you want me to do? Can you find it, or should I reupload it, or.........?
No problem. I figured out what it was supposed to be and it worked. :)

Michael
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

Kazbek wrote: May 5th, 2020, 1:40 pm
LydiaElle wrote: May 5th, 2020, 10:18 am Hi Michael,

Thanks,
Lydia
Hi Lydia,

There are a couple of settings that need to be adjusted:
  1. The bit rate is 78 kbps; it should be 128 kbps.
  2. The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate.
These settings are described in steps 6-1 and 6-2 on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3

Please upload an updated test and reply in this thread.

A couple of other comments:
Michael
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the guidance, noted. Here is my 2nd attempt at a test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_LydiaElle.mp3

Lydia