ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow thank you for the fast return Emmi :) I have still a few small notes to correct, but on the whole it was very good:

Act 2:

> at 1:08: (p. 94) "aside" – you can cut out "Sganarelle" here, as it's the second sentence he will be saying as aside
> at 7:32: (p. 101) "aside to Mathurine" – this one can get cut out, you already have it at 7:26 (keep the version you prefer) – my head was spinning checking all these asides from that scene LOL

Act 3:

> at 3:10: (p. 115) "Sganarelle, nodding his head like the statue" – here we need to have the name of the character included, as it's in the beginning of the speech
> at 3:25: (p. 115) "Sganarelle, alone" – same here
> at the end of each recording, please always remember to leave 5 seconds of silence; you are cutting it off quite abruptly

Act 4:

> at 0:37: (p. 116) "La Violette" – here you pronounce the name the English way, while everywhere else the French way. Could you change it here as well please, to stay consistent throughout

Act 5:

> at the final end disclaimer, could you also include please "translated by Henry van Laun". And the 5 seconds of silence, while you're at it ;)

thanks, were are really nearing the end here.

Sonia
emminz

Post by emminz »

Haha oh bleh, I got very confused at times and that shows - sorry so many mistakes slipped through! I made the changes you caught, and added the 5 second silences to the ends.
I understood that the links stay the same and the file simply changes, but here they are again for certainty and convenience:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_stagedirections_4_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_stagedirections_5_128kb.mp3
- Emmi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

and here is a ghostly ghost: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_ghost_5_128kb.mp3 (0:21)

Sandra
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes it's true, the old file gets replaced by the new one if the name stays exactly the same. But posting the link here always helps, as we can see quite quickly if the name is changed, and maybe that could be the reason for any errors in the file upload ;)

And thanks for the corrections, now all is PL ok. :clap: And Todd will be able to edit it all together.

I hope to hear you again in some other play soon :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

catharmaiden wrote: June 29th, 2020, 10:06 amand here is a ghostly ghost: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_ghost_5_128kb.mp3 (0:21)
thank you, Sandra, for pushing us through the final stage. The ghost is wonderfully done and I love the ghostly reverb effect :thumbs: It's only one small part but you made it memorable.

PL ok

Todd: we're ready for the final assembling !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Everything assembled. Now one more pass through to adjust gaps and volumes and they will be ready for final PL.

Pretty serious play for Moliere!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Everything is ready for final PL. Enjoy!

You all sound great in this!

Thanks, Todd
emminz

Post by emminz »

Kitty wrote: June 30th, 2020, 1:40 am yes it's true, the old file gets replaced by the new one if the name stays exactly the same. But posting the link here always helps, as we can see quite quickly if the name is changed, and maybe that could be the reason for any errors in the file upload ;)
Thank you for always explaining things with such patience! :D I had a blast with this project and am looking forward to hearing the final product.
This felt like a safe space to learn, so thank you, Sonia and Todd, for the experience!
- Emmi
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

emminz wrote: June 30th, 2020, 11:50 pm Thank you for always explaining things with such patience! :D I had a blast with this project and am looking forward to hearing the final product.
This felt like a safe space to learn, so thank you, Sonia and Todd, for the experience!
awww thank you, Emmi :9: and it was a pleasure PLing you, as you really were careful to make it as best you could.

I am happy you liked the experience and I definitely hope to hear you in many other dramas...some new ones have started already. :mrgreen:

I'll PL the acts now, and possibly today it can get archived.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 30th, 2020, 6:51 pmEverything is ready for final PL. Enjoy!
You all sound great in this!
Listened to Acts 1 and 2 right now and they are totally PL ok. Oh the country scene is totally hilarious. :lol: Well, it's the only funny subplot in this rather bleak story. I bet Molière put it in to satisfy his audience who need a good knee-slapping giggle in a play.

And I agree, everybody sounds so great in their roles. :clap:

On to the next acts....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow, finished the whole play, a wonderful performance from everybody :clap: and wonderful editing, Todd. I remember reading the play for my final exams at highschool (in French of course) and I didn't like it much, but hearing it performed now makes it so much better.

Act 3 is already PL ok.

Acts 4 and 5 are also ok as far as assembling goes, but inspired by the ghostly voice I was thinking maybe your Commander sounds a bit too human, so I was tinkering around to give your speech a bit more of a hollow-statue sound.

Here is what I came up with: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_statue-effect.mp3

It's only a suggestion, but I think it would lend this rather short but very crucial role a distinct atmosphere and character. In case you want to switch the lines, here are the time stamps:

in Act 4: at 23:13 and 23:26
in Act 5: at 16:51, 17:04 and 17:08

But if you prefer your old version, then you can mark them PL ok and we are ready to archive :)

Great job, everyone !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I prefer not to add the echo.

I think that the idea in the play is that the Statue is truly remarkable: it is stone, yet alive and seemingly human. A being to invite to supper, etc. Yet that staggering wonder is not enough to reform Juan - and so the Ghost - an entirely different sort of supernatural being - is required at the end of the play.

With this decision, then, the play is done and I will catalog it.

Many thanks to you all, and especially to Sonia for her continuously marvelous DPL, Todd