COMPLETE: The Five Nations Vol. 2 by Rudyard Kipling -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo »

Hello Silverquill,
My 2nd test recording has been approved.

I would still like to claim Sec. 13, M.I. in this project.

A question about the reading....

Several times throughout the text there is a blank space.(Roll up the ----[1] M. I.!) The blank is a number to be filled in by whoever is performing the act. A designation of the M.I. unit. (Like Seal Team 6, or, The 101st Airborne,) I tried to do some research on M.I. units during the 2nd Boer War in order to identify a M.I. unit that had been to the places identified by the character. I've decided on going with The 7th M.I., partly because it has a good sound to it.
If you, or, some history buff, have a better idea, by all means let me know.
I'm probably overthinking this whole thing. (I'm a Virgo, what can I say.)
Anyway, let me know when I have your approval, and I will begin the reading.
Thanks,
Ken
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kenzeavo wrote: April 16th, 2020, 2:07 pm Hello Silverquill,
My 2nd test recording has been approved.

I would still like to claim Sec. 13, M.I. in this project.

A question about the reading....

Several times throughout the text there is a blank space.(Roll up the ----[1] M. I.!) The blank is a number to be filled in by whoever is performing the act. A designation of the M.I. unit. (Like Seal Team 6, or, The 101st Airborne,) I tried to do some research on M.I. units during the 2nd Boer War in order to identify a M.I. unit that had been to the places identified by the character. I've decided on going with The 7th M.I., partly because it has a good sound to it.
If you, or, some history buff, have a better idea, by all means let me know.
I'm probably overthinking this whole thing. (I'm a Virgo, what can I say.)
Anyway, let me know when I have your approval, and I will begin the reading.
Thanks,
Ken
Good news!
But, before I can actually assign this section to you, you need to be added to the LibriVox catalog. So, I need to know exactly how you want to be credited - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.

You do raise a good question about this poem. We do encounter this in older works some times, but not so often in poems. And here is where the written page doesn't lend itself well to the oral interpretation. We are also constrained somewhat by our LV policy of reading only what is written and not adding anything. Certain things can be omitted, such as footnotes (which you would NOT read for this poem), stanza numbers in some poems, long appendices, etc. on a case-by-case basis.

So, our usual practice in cases like this is just to read the blank space as "blank" which is what I would recommend here. It could have many variations, so to supply ONE doesn't really convey the intent of the poet. I suppose, after the first "blank" you could read the explanatory footnote, thus: "Footnote: Number according to taste and service of audience." end footnote, go give the listener a clue to what is intended, and then carry one with "blank" in the subsequent instances.

Always new challenges, eh?

Thanks for coming on board with us.!

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo »

OK, I can do that.
For credit, please use "K.L. Zuehlke", (rhymes with milky).
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kenzeavo wrote: April 16th, 2020, 9:30 pm OK, I can do that.
For credit, please use "K.L. Zuehlke", (rhymes with milky).
Great!
You are in. Just click on you name in the MW to see your personal catalog page where you can track all of you LV work. Fill it up! :wink:
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 18 is PL OK! Amazing rhythmic reading!

ellies wrote: April 16th, 2020, 8:44 am Hi, here is section 1 ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_01_kipling_128kb.mp3 06:04

thanks

ellies
A lovely interpretation of this poem!
I have 3 PL notes, but please consider them optional and edit none or any of them, as you see fit as the reader and interpreter (sometimes an edit may sound worse than a wrong word):
at 0:49, text is "at the dawning by Whitehall"
at 2:11, text is "Till our fathers ’stablished,"
at 4:36, text is "For the Land we look to"
Bingard

Post by Bingard »

User Name: Bingard
Requested Sessions: 14, 15 - The Five Nations Vol. 2
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Bingard wrote: April 17th, 2020, 6:44 am User Name: Bingard
Requested Sessions: 14, 15 - The Five Nations Vol. 2
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.
~ Larry
ellies

Post by ellies »

Thanks for the PL!
I have corrected these things, so should be ok now

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_01_kipling_128kb.mp3
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Elaine Conway 2018
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ellies wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:34 am Thanks for the PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_01_kipling_128kb.mp3
Thanks!
Ready for Spot PL
~ Larry
kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_13_kipling_128kb.mp3

Here it is, Sec 13, M.I. Hopefully, the first of many. There is some mouth noise in this. If it's a problem, let me know.
This is 06:21 in length.
Since this is my first LibriVox recording, I'm open to criticism, good, or, bad.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kenzeavo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:48 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_13_kipling_128kb.mp3

Here it is, Sec 13, M.I. Hopefully, the first of many. There is some mouth noise in this. If it's a problem, let me know.
Since this is my first LibriVox recording, I'm open to criticism, good, or, bad.
Wonderful!
Our DPL is the best, so you will get some good feedback.

Thanks so much. :)
~ Larry
kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo »

If you guys think that my characters voice is a bit cheezy, I have a 2nd version, using a more normal voice, ready to upload, if need be.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ellies wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:34 am Thanks for the PL!

PL OK ! :thumbs:

kenzeavo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:48 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_13_kipling_128kb.mp3

That was great, K.L! I don't think I would notice the mouth noises if you hadn't mentioned it, it's quite unobtrusive. I would say every person is different, so different advice would work, but I've read that keeping your mouth hydrated with a cup of tea or other warm drink helps with mouth noises.
Congratulations on your first Librivox recording and here's to many more! :birthday:
kenzeavo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 6:00 pm If you guys think that my characters voice is a bit cheezy, I have a 2nd version, using a more normal voice, ready to upload, if need be.
I really enjoyed your version, I don't think there was anything cheesy about it! But since this second one is a completely different recording, you have the option to offer it to our monthly poetry collection, so that both versions are available for listening. If you decide to offer it, here is the link, and please check intro/outro and filename because every project may have its own format. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=78919
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanmapstone wrote: April 19th, 2020, 7:47 am Section 21 - Half Ballad of Waterval

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fivenationsvol2_21_kipling_128kb.mp3
1:40
Thank you!
In the MW Ready for PL
~ Larry