COMPLETE: Bill the Conqueror by P.G. Wodehouse -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » May 3rd, 2020, 4:29 am

Chapter 16 confirmed my belief that Judson is the best character in this book :D
21 is PL OK but 20 has a cough at 8:56.
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

carolpelster

Post by carolpelster » May 5th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Do you like Judson better when he is sober or drunk?

I just added chapter 17. Still haven't fixed the other problems, but hope to get to it soon.

carolpelster

Post by carolpelster » May 6th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Thanks.. This is just what is needed.
How did you ever find it?

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 6th, 2020, 7:08 pm

I just googled the title and looked for either google books or archive to find a scan of the text. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

carolpelster

Post by carolpelster » May 7th, 2020, 4:22 pm

I added chapters 17 and 18 and also tried to fix the other problems. I had to add new sections, and for some reason, I couldn't add my name as reader. Not sure why. Three more chapters to go, so I will probably need 3 more sections.

In chapter 18, Wodehouse is hilariously brilliant in depicting the slimey but audaciously overwhelming Slingsby. Probably one of my favorite parts of the book.

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » May 7th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I do like sober Judson but he was a very well-written drunk. 19, 20, 22 PL OK :D
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 7th, 2020, 9:20 pm

carolpelster wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 4:22 pm
I added chapters 17 and 18 and also tried to fix the other problems. I had to add new sections, and for some reason, I couldn't add my name as reader. Not sure why. Three more chapters to go, so I will probably need 3 more sections.
Hi Carol,

I couldn't add you as reader to those 2 sections either, so I deleted them and readded the sections. I added you as reader when adding the sections and that worked. I also added an additional section for chapter 21.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » May 8th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Bill, Bill, Bill... You really screwed this one up! I think I know how it will be resolved though :wink:

23 is PL OK

carolpelster

Post by carolpelster » May 9th, 2020, 3:45 pm

So do you think Bill and Flick will end up happily ever after?

Check out Chapter 19.

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » May 10th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Well I certainly wasn’t expecting Bill to become a stalker! Never fear though, Judson's on the scene and he's going to do... something? I'm sure Flick will be very understanding if Bill can figure out a better method than throwing a letter through her window!

PL OK :D

carolpelster

Post by carolpelster » May 13th, 2020, 4:16 pm

The last 2 chapters are ready for listening. You should be happy about Judson's role in wrapping up the loose ends of the book. A most satisfactory ending.
I still have to write a summary and will do that soon.

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » May 16th, 2020, 4:46 am

Judson is indeed the MVP :D It's funny, he seemed like such a loser at the start of the book but he turned out to be very entertaining and probably a decent guy under the alcoholism.
26 is PL OK, 25 has a repeat at 24:35.

carolpelster

Post by carolpelster » May 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Okay. Fixed section 25.
Getting so close to finishing!

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » May 16th, 2020, 3:51 pm

PL OK :D
Which means this book is now finished! :clap: It's been a pleasure to listen to :D

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 16th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Congratulations Carol on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/bill-the-conqueror-by-p-g-wodehouse/
Jo
My Librivox Solos