[COMPLETE] How To Write Short Stories (with samples), by Ring Lardner - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kurt, one wee edit on Section 2, if you please:
25:05 where have you been, sounds like the middle got cut out.
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

msfry wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:00 am Kurt, one wee edit on Section 2, if you please:
25:05 where have you been, sounds like the middle got cut out.
You're right it did. My eyeballs made a more complete sentence, as you did above, and I tried and failed to patch it in Audacity. I re-recorded just that line, and changed the phrasing to make it more obvious he was just waking up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_02_lardner_128kb.mp3 29:08

Thanks, good catch!!

--Kurt
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 is PL OK. Nice performance all the way through -- you gave life to the mundane bits! :thumbs:
nosredla

Post by nosredla »

Hi,

I would like to volunteer to read 8.1 and 8.2 A Frame Up. If that's OK I'm looking forward to getting started on my first LibriVox read.

Tony (Nosredla)
msfry

Post by msfry »

nosredla wrote: March 30th, 2020, 5:52 pm Hi,

I would like to volunteer to read 8.1 and 8.2 A Frame Up. If that's OK I'm looking forward to getting started on my first LibriVox read.

Tony (Nosredla)
Hello Tony and welcome to my Project. I listened to your test recording and see you are getting some good advice. I didn't see an Introduce Yourself post so I don't know if you're an experienced audio recorder. If so, I'd say dive right in to this almost hour long story, but if not, I highly recommend you cut your teeth first on some shorter pieces (like 1500 words/10 minutes or less). Look around through the Readers Wanted forums, Books and Short Works and Poetry. There are lots of poetry readings and children's books with short bits for practicing how to record, edit, name files, upload correctly, etc. It is by far best to get some experience before tackling a harder part. I'll reserve sections 15 and 16 for you for few weeks, until you get some more experience under your belt, and check up on you once in a while to see how you're doing. Feel free to ask questions.
nosredla

Post by nosredla »

I am not an experienced audio recorder, so I think I will take your advice and hold off on this one until I have some more experience. Also, after having looked at the text, I am wondering if my rather British accent might be inappropriate for this story? What do you think?

Many thanks for your input.

Tony
msfry

Post by msfry »

nosredla wrote: March 31st, 2020, 7:39 am I am not an experienced audio recorder, so I think I will take your advice and hold off on this one until I have some more experience. Also, after having looked at the text, I am wondering if my rather British accent might be inappropriate for this story? What do you think?

Many thanks for your input.

Tony
Lardner does sometimes depend on sounding really hoakey, something you Brits aren't natural masters of. But no one can do better on wit and humor, so it's hard to say. I will be looking for your name on future projects (or on this one if it doesn't fill quickly). Maybe you can contribute a short story to one of my collections below. :D
dmusgrove

Post by dmusgrove »

I'll take sections 11 & 12, "My Roomy", please.

This will be my first recording.
msfry

Post by msfry »

dmusgrove wrote: April 1st, 2020, 11:02 am I'll take sections 11 & 12, "My Roomy", please.

This will be my first recording.
Hello dmusgrove, and welcome to my Project. I listened to your test recording and see you got some good advice and the OK. I didn't see an Introduce Yourself post so I don't know if you're an experienced audio recorder. If so, I'd say dive right in to this 9000 word (almost hour long) story, but if not, I highly recommend you cut your teeth first on some shorter pieces (like 1500 words/10 minutes or less). Look around through the Readers Wanted forums, Books and Short Works and Poetry. There are lots of poetry readings and children's and other books with short bits for practicing how to record, edit, name files, upload correctly, etc. It is by far best to get some experience before tackling a harder, especially a longer part. I'll reserve sections 11 and 12 for you for few weeks, until you get some more experience under your belt, and check up on you once in a while to see how you're doing. Feel free to ask questions.
BenPrince

Post by BenPrince »

Hi there! If 9.1 and 9.2 ("Harmony") haven't been assigned, I'd love to take a crack at it!
Thanks!
msfry

Post by msfry »

BenPrince wrote: April 5th, 2020, 12:01 pm Hi there! If 9.1 and 9.2 ("Harmony") haven't been assigned, I'd love to take a crack at it!
Thanks!
Hi Ben, thanks for Introducing Yourself and your 1-Minute Test, which tell me you are probably ready to tackle this rather long 2 part story, about 50 minutes of finished product. That is probably too much for a true newbie to handle at first, but with your experience I think you can handle it. Only one request . . . . please let loose and ham it up. These stories are all Lardner's examples of How NOT to write a short story, so you may find yours murdering the English language and full of ridiculous errors on purpose (I don't know as I haven't read this one yet). I have enjoyed all the stories so far and look forward to listening to yours.

If you have questions, ask.
BenPrince

Post by BenPrince »

msfry wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:25 pm
BenPrince wrote: April 5th, 2020, 12:01 pm Hi there! If 9.1 and 9.2 ("Harmony") haven't been assigned, I'd love to take a crack at it!
Thanks!
Hi Ben, thanks for Introducing Yourself and your 1-Minute Test, which tell me you are probably ready to tackle this rather long 2 part story, about 50 minutes of finished product. That is probably too much for a true newbie to handle at first, but with your experience I think you can handle it. Only one request . . . . please let loose and ham it up. These stories are all Lardner's examples of How NOT to write a short story, so you may find yours murdering the English language and full of ridiculous errors on purpose (I don't know as I haven't read this one yet). I have enjoyed all the stories so far and look forward to listening to yours.

Thanks so much! I will do my best to make it entertaining! I do have a couple questions: how should I approach accents/dialects, and should I try to give different "voices" to different people speaking?
msfry

Post by msfry »

JeffDueck wrote: March 13th, 2020, 11:34 pm Hello. I would like to read Champion chapter 5.1 and 5.2 please. This is my first recording with librivox. I have already put up my one minute test. Thank you.
Haven't heard back from you in 3 weeks, since 3/14, so I've opened these sections up again. I hope to see you around later, Jeff. Take care.
msfry

Post by msfry »

BenPrince wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:34 pm
msfry wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Thanks!

Thanks so much! I will do my best to make it entertaining! I do have a couple questions: how should I approach accents/dialects, and should I try to give different "voices" to different people speaking?
It helps to know who's speaking but that can be tackled different ways. Same with accents. It's entirely your choice.
dmusgrove

Post by dmusgrove »

msfry wrote: April 1st, 2020, 11:25 am
I highly recommend you cut your teeth first on some shorter pieces (like 1500 words/10 minutes or less).
I'll look for something short to start with, and make way for someone else on sections 11 & 12. Thanks for the good advice!