COMPLETE [CHILDREN] Jacko and Jumpo Kinkytail by Howard R. Garis - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Shasta, the procedure of a Solo work differs, as Rosebud already correctly wrote, in the fact that you fill in the MW in the first post yourself. If you'd like to try that, let me know and I'll send you instructions on how to do this in PM.

In any case, please post the chapters when they are ready one-by-one, no need to accumulate them all before posting. They have to be PLed anyway. :)

Kristine
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Ok, so I am simply going to do what I have always done when NOT doing a solo (of which I have only done one other and don't remember doing anything special). I don't even know what MW means. I will download a chapter now and you can let me know if at all turns out all right.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I’m sorry, I should have used the proper name- Magic Window. I entered your file, and have PLed it.

The reading is great, thank you! There are a few side issues to clear up, then we should be good.

PL notes:
*Background noise is high enough that checker flags it. Both silences should provide a good sample for noise cleaning, as the level is fairly uniform throughout.

*Bit rate shows as 89 kbps - variable, while it should be 128 kbps - constant. Did your settings get bumped somehow? :shock: Because I know they were correct on previous files I PLed for you!

Anyways, thanks a bunch for all your work here! I'm happy with the progress, and if everything keeps going this well, we'll soon be on a roll! :)
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Ok, so I am confused as to both of the issues you raise. First of all, I us Audacity and its "Noise Reduction" to eliminate everything except my voice, i.e., I use "Noise Reduction" to make sure that the audio line between voice is totally flat, so I don't know what else I can do to eliminate background noise (which I do not see). Second, when I save it is always 128kb, so I'm not sure where the 89kb enters the picture. I use MP3Gain Express 2 to check for volume level and that has always shown 89kb as the appropriate volume level and corrects my recording to that level if it is too high or too low. So where am I going wrong with the 128 business? Unfortunately, my Checker app has disappeared and I have just be hoping I don't need it. How can I find and download the Checker app and add it to my little collection?
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I'm wondering if you forgot to save the file after noise cleaning? Or perhaps downloaded the wrong version... I can tell the editing was done, but there's a hum throughout the recording.

Go ahead and do the noise cleaning again, then when exporting check to make sure the kbps is still set for 128 and that the circle for constant is filled rather than variable. You aren’t the first one to have these suddenly change with no explanation!

I'll go find the checker link for you, and be back soon :)
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Here’s the link to the checker developer’s website: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

I assumed you’d rather get straight to it rather than going through the wiki. Let me know if there’s anything that’s still an issue. I’ll admit I don’t have much experience with Audacity, so some questions may need to go to Kristine.

Best wishes,
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

So let's try Chapter 01 again. I believe there was a bit of noise that escaped Noise Reduction.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_01_garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 12:16
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Shasta wrote: March 21st, 2020, 3:10 pm So let's try Chapter 01 again. I believe there was a bit of noise that escaped Noise Reduction.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_01_garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 12:16
Hmm... Still has the same specs. Did you for sure not lose track of where the new file got saved to or something, like to a wrong folder? I can't imagine why it's still showing wrong.

About the exporting part, if you need a refresher you could watch this video by Adrian Stephens. the part about exporting is toward the end. https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

What do you mean by "the same specs?" "it is showing wrong?" What is "it?"
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Sorry about my pronouns! :oops:
I meant to say that the recording looks identical to the previous upload, that nothing has changed.

I’m not sure what to suggest doing, except to do the noise cleaning again, then export and make sure those 2 issues- (‘128 kbps’ and ‘constant’) are correct. Then just before you hit save, double check which folder on the computer it’s going into. (Remember that if you already had a recording with that name in the folder to which you’re saving the new one, your laptop will add a number behind the name of the newer recording. What I like to do is either delete or move the old file before exporting the new.)

It feels like what I’m trying to say is coming out really jumbled! And I expect most of what I said is anyways what you’ve already done. :hmm: So if anything helps; great! If it only makes matters worse; I’m very, very sorry!

Let me know what you think, and feel free to disregard everything that doesn’t apply!! Good luck!
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 1 again. Although it did not appear to need it, I applied Noise Reduction again. When I exported it I made sure it was at 128kb and "Constant" Before saving it, I deleted the earlier version so there would be no confusion. I then checked the volume with MP3Gain Express 2 and then checked it with Checker, where is passed.

Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Shasta wrote: March 24th, 2020, 9:25 am Here is Chapter 1 again. Although it did not appear to need it, I applied Noise Reduction again. When I exported it I made sure it was at 128kb and "Constant" Before saving it, I deleted the earlier version so there would be no confusion. I then checked the volume with MP3Gain Express 2 and then checked it with Checker, where is passed.

Yes! You've got it! :clap: PL OK

I don't know what made the difference, but whatever it was- it worked. Wow! I'm sorry for you that you had so much trouble on this file. Surely the rest will fall into line more easily. But only if Jumpo doesn't get hold of them! :wink: I noticed where the story mentioned that he soon forgot about being good. Hmm...

Best wishes for kink-free recordings!
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Awesome, thanks!

I’ll get to them, hopefully within a few days. We’ve been crazy busy the last while with 'real life', but that should slow down soon. Although the next half week at least still looks unpredictable. Sigh...

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you've got! :)
~Rosebud