COMPLETE [CHILDREN] Jacko and Jumpo Kinkytail by Howard R. Garis - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 09 (tentatively)

Why do I say "tentantively?" Ordinarily, I do my recording with a relatively high end microphone. But unfortunately the USB cable connecting the microphone to my computer became damaged and unusable. I have ordered a replacement USB cable but won't get it sooner than April 24th. So I decided to record a chapter using the microphone built into my computer. I have my doubts whether the audio quality is good enough. So here is that chapter and I await your assessment of the quality of the audio. If it is OK, I will continue. If not, I will wait until I get my new USB cable before doing further recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_09_garis_128kb.mp3e Time: 11:33
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Chapters 2 & 3 are PL OK :thumbs:

I compared those files with 9, and was able to tell a difference in 9 being a little less 'steady' than the others. However I don't think the difference is drastic enough to require re-recording. So I have marked 9 as PL OK.

I noticed it's easy to say 'Jackie' or 'Jumpy' for the monkey boys. It only happened a few times, and I'm sure listeners will understand who it's meant for. As we aren't looking for word perfect, I'm fine with leaving it unless it bothers you that it happened. Just thought you might want to be aware of that for future recordings. :)

Take care!
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Thank you!

Sorry for being so far behind in PLing! I keep thinking surely things will slow down soon so that I have more leisure time, but for now I haven't seen it happening. :? I am glad for work though.
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

:clap: I'm the one who should be getting busy now!
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Shasta wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:31 pm So here is a cleaned up Chapter 5

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_05_garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 11:35.5
Chapter 5 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Section 6 PL notes:

~0:13 ding, sounds like iPhone message alert :)
~3:26 page turning?
~10:18 "scurried off through the f-woods" (This one, I’m fine with however you want to leave it. It might be difficult to find just where to snip to get that ‘f’.)

Checker gave a warning on background noise at 48.8 dB. I’m wondering if that might be resolved by taking care of the sounds I am noting.

For your interest: in Checker if you select ‘background noise’ in ‘Validation’, you’ll get a reading on that when you check files. Don’t stress yourself over this, though! I’m not concerned about getting numbers perfectly, and most of yours are checking just fine.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for your good work on this project!
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 06 again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_06_garis_128kb.mp3 Time 11:41

I failed to find any "ding" at 13.0 (I'm not sure that's the same as your .13. My track doesn't have hundredths of seconds) I don't know what you meant by "3.26 page turning." I listened to 3.22 through 3.28 and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I did snip off the"f" at 10.18. Insofar as background noise is concerned, I can only say that I don't see or hear any. The track line between words is completely flat. And the file passes both MP3 Gain Express and Checker. Let me know if there are still problems and I will do my best to solve them.

Russ
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I didn’t notice any fuzzy line either, and that’s why I wondered if it was the two other sounds that I had noticed that it picked up. By the way, I think my earbuds are extra sharp or something, because I’ve had it happen before that I heard a noise the reader couldn’t find till they turned the volume up pretty far.

The ding was in the intro, at 13 seconds. I haven’t listened to your new file yet, as I’m not home and don’t have computer access. (Just on my phone now.) I’ll let you know when I’ve had a chance to look at it.

Thanks,
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I’ve had a listen, and there’s a distinct background buzz now. The 2 noises I had mentioned I’m also still hearing, but you did a good job on the ‘f’ sound. I’d suggest doing noise cleaning again and handling the file similarly to that other time when you did a bunch of precaution to avoid uploading a wrong file. I don’t know that this file has the same issue, but maybe that would help.

If I created confusion on any point, I am sincerely sorry! Please feel free to ask questions if anything is unclear.
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Hear is Chapter 06 yet again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_06-garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 11:41

I was unable to hear any "ding" at .13 or any "page turning" at 3:26 or any background noise. Nevertheless, I have re-recorded at .13 and at 3:26 and hopefully that will solve the problems you heard. I have also done another noise reduction run and the lines between words seem to me to totally devoid of sound. I hear none. MP3 express didn't need to correct gain as recorded and Checker passed it, as in the past. If you feel that further work is needed just let me know and I will do what I can to address it.
Russ Bruno