COMPLETE: [Religion] The Destination Of Man by Johann Gottlieb Fichte (1762-1814)-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at: https://librivox.org/the-destination-of-man-by-johann-gottlieb-fichte/

The Destination Of Man by Johann Gottlieb Fichte 1762-1814. Translated by Jane Sinnett (1804-1870)
Johanne Fichte published The Destination of Man (Die Bestimmung des Menschen) in 1799. It was translated into English in 1846 by Jane Sinnett and then again in 1848 by William Smith. Fichte says his book is designed to "raise [the reader] from the sensuous world, to that which is above sense." Francis Bacon said, in The Advancement of Learning, "the two ways of contemplation are not unlike the two ways of action commonly spoken of by the ancients; the one plain and smooth in the beginning, and in the end impassable; the other rough and troublesome in the entrance, but after a while fair and even. So it is in contemplation; if a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties." Rene Descartes said "in order to seek truth, it is necessary once in the course of our life, to doubt, as far as possible, of all things." Fichte moves from doubt to knowledge and finally to faith in his exploration of the self. (Craig Campbell)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):https://archive.org/details/thedestinationof00fichuoft/page/n27/mode/2up
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Destination Of Man by Johann Gottlieb Fichte. Translated by Jane Sinnett This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say: " [Title in MW] For example: Chapter 1 Doubt – The aim of my being"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section] #"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Destination Of Man, by Johann Gottlieb Fichte. Translated by Jane Sinnett 1804-1870"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      destinationofman_##_fichte_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. destinationofman_01_fichte_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by soupy on April 23rd, 2020, 4:18 am, edited 16 times in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Craig! A MW coming up!
Leni
=================
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Leni :D

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Craig, how would you like us the read the dialogues? (If I had more time to do the editing involved, I'd offer to do the dialogues with you.)

Do you think we could get away with not saying Spirit, I, Spirit, I, and on and on? If you think that's not a good idea, I'm with you regardless.

I'll be claiming a few chapters as soon as things get established.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Let me know if you need anything else, Craig. :D
Leni
=================
soupy

Post by soupy »

I think it's ready to go Kevin and Leni :D

I might read some of the dialogue with you Kevin.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: February 10th, 2020, 10:00 am I think it's ready to go Kevin and Leni :D

I might read some of the dialogue with you Kevin.

Craig
I don't think I'd ever get to the editing needed in any timely way. If you wanted to edit the pieces together, I'm game. Otherwise, please sign me up for Section 18.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 18 is yours Kevin :D

Thanks.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:13 am Section 18 is yours Kevin :D

Thanks.

Craig
Thanks!
soupy

Post by soupy »

If you wanted to edit the pieces together, I'm game.
I can play editor Kevin or anyone who wants to read one part of the spirit secions. For example read either I or spirit part only.

Let me know ahead of time.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: February 10th, 2020, 5:00 pm
If you wanted to edit the pieces together, I'm game.
I can play editor Kevin or anyone who wants to read one part of the spirit secions. fFor example read either I or spirit part only.

Let me know ahead of time.

Craig
I'm game. I'll do Spirit or I. (I just don't have the time for the editing at present.) Will you advertise for a voice? It's not really a lot of reading if one cuts the job in half as would happen in a dialogue.
soupy

Post by soupy »

The voice is advertised in the description :D

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: February 10th, 2020, 6:22 pm The voice is advertised in the description :D
That's great.

At some point I'd like for you to tell me which I should read and then I will begin. (No rush on this, though, unless you don't mind.) Worse case scenario is that I go ahead and read both parts.

Do you know if there is a way of inserting a recording somewhere in another and push all the old material later in the recording to the right, so to speak? That is, insert a recording as it's done live and push the rest to the right. This is something I've always wanted to ask.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Whenever I want to do that I go to the end of the recording and press record and it begins a new track at the end of the recording, instead of at the beginning, and then I copy the new recorded material to the place I want it.

If that's what you asked.

Craig

I'll leave it open for now since you did. If you want to choose one of the personas than do so and I'll advertise for the other voice :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge