[COMPLETE] John Donne's Satires - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles » January 29th, 2020, 6:35 pm

John Donne's Satires by John Donne (1572 - 1631).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/satires-by-john-donne/

Donne’s Style
In John Donne’s day, a satire was such a poem as a satyr might compose. Satyrs were rough, savage creatures in Greek mythology, human to the waist but goat from there down. That is the reason that Donne’s style in these poems exceeds his normal difficulty in syntax, vocabulary, thought, and meter. His age enjoyed untangling such puzzles, and some poets cultivated obscurity as an art, called asprezza. Wordplay like “while bellows pant below” (Satyre 2), where the same syllables, stressed differently, produce two different words almost side by side, entertained them.

An acoustical analogue to obscurity, Donne’s rhymes are often deliberately lame, while his rhythms nearly defy scansion and yet refuse to become mere prose. By keeping the drum beat just barely audible, the poet makes us feel that we are stumbling over rocky ground, out of step—neither marching nor merely walking.

Why was this abuse of the reader enjoyable? Perhaps for the same reason that graffiti appeals to some people. At first glance Donne appears undisciplined, but in fact he is rebellious, not lax but naughty; he does not fail to abide by the rules but rather gives the impression of breaking them.

Metempsychosis
The poem appears to be incomplete, its “First Song” having no counterpart, no “Second Song.” Similarly it never fulfills its promise to end by identifying what celebrity the soul in question now inhabits. On the contrary, the poem’s initial epic pretentions founder at the second generation of mankind rather than tracing human history from the Garden of Eden to modern England, as was proposed. In view of the author’s mock-heroic tone, however, the poem’s apparent incompletion may be part of the satire, so it does no harm to suppose it as complete as necessary to accomplish its purpose.

What it accomplishes is to demonstrate, by means of the Pythagorean doctrine of the transmigration of souls, the depravity of the object of the satire (identity unknown but perhaps easily guessed by Donne’s audience). According to this doctrine, also called metempsychosis, the various guises that a soul takes in its travels are rewards or punishments for its conduct in each of its incarnations. It is debatable whether this process always leads to purification. In this poem it appears rather to be simple unfolding, dilation, the full realization of the soul’s potential. This soul has an appalling capacity for evil, beginning ominously as the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge and never rising higher than the moral neutrality of a fish. (A modern reader unfamiliar with The Bhagavad Gita may rely on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as background to the concept of the dilation and degradation of a soul.)

The style of the poem reflects the theme of shape-changing, for Donne loves to employ words’ multiple senses in close proximity:
. . . Make my darke heavy Poëm light, and light . . . [not dark + not heavy]
. . . to heare / Whose story, with long patience you will long . . . [adjective + verb]
. . . Her, her fates threw . . . [object of verb + possessive]
. . . Her sinne had now brought in infirmities . . . [verbal particle + prefix]
. . . Ill steward of himself, himselfe in three yeares ends. . . . [object of preposition + object of verb]
. . . Yet them all these unkinde kinds feed upon . . . [adjective + noun]

Such wordplay is common in Donne’s satires, but in a poem chronicling the exploits of fishes, a sparrow, a wolf, and a mouse—all being the same individual in different forms—it seems especially appropriate. (Thomas Copeland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/48688/48688-h/48688-h.htm#pagei.145
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ============================================
    Genres for the project: Satire
    Keywords that describe the book: satyre, mock-heroic, anti-pastoral
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of John Donne's Satires. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "John Donne's Satires, by John Donne. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of John Donne's Satires by John Donne. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of John Donne's Satires, by John Donne. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename johndonnessatires_##_donne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. johndonnessatires_01_donne_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags - not needed

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chymocles on February 1st, 2020, 7:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 30th, 2020, 3:50 am

Hi Tom,

I see you have a new project :wink: I'll MC this for you!

Edit: Aand we're ready to party! :D
Will you make the cover for this as well?
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » January 30th, 2020, 9:20 am

linny

Post by linny » January 31st, 2020, 11:21 am

Tom,
You do a wonderful job with poetry. Your word perfect reading is an amazing skill.

Satire 1
PL OK
Last edited by linny on February 1st, 2020, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

linny

Post by linny » January 31st, 2020, 11:32 am

Satire 2
PL OK

Have you had a look at the Dramatic Works forum? You might enjoy the plays.

linny

Post by linny » January 31st, 2020, 11:41 am

Satire 3
PL OK

linny

Post by linny » January 31st, 2020, 12:13 pm

Satire 4
3:21 (55) – You added an uh before Calepines. Did you want it?
And I seelily
Said, that I thought Calepines Dictionarie;
Nay, but of men, most sweet Sir; Beza then,
Some other Jesuites, and two reverend men
Of our two Academies, I named;

8:27 (140) word change - But the'houre
Of mercy now was come;
I hear has

9:54 (165) word change - No, no, Thou which since yesterday hast beene
Almost about the whole world, hast thou seene,
O Sunne, in all thy journey, Vanitie,
Such as swells the bladder of our court?
I hear around

12:34 (210) word change? - Him not so much as good will, he arrests,
And unto her protests protests protests,
So much as at Rome would serve to have throwne
Ten Cardinalls into the Inquisition;
I hear under (This one might be my hearing. I listened a few times and I can't tell which it is.)

Please extend ending silence by a second. You’re at 4 now. 5 seconds ensures you won’t be cut off during playback.
Last edited by linny on February 1st, 2020, 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

linny

Post by linny » January 31st, 2020, 12:15 pm

My eyes need a break before I can listen to section 7 but I can DPL for you if you would like.

Am I understanding correctly that you are not including the following sections of the book:
-Letters
-An anatomie of the world
-Of the Progresse of the Soule
-Epicedes and Obseqvies
-Epitaphs

EDIT: Silly me. Of course you are skipping them. All I had to do was look at the book title and table of contents. :oops:

linny

Post by linny » January 31st, 2020, 1:39 pm

Ava,
Since the project title isn't the book title may the intros be revised without a title?

Section title, by John Donne This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

and

"Section title, by John Donne. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

What about the end of the last section?

Tom,
Please wait on correcting the PL notes until Ava sees this message.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 31st, 2020, 9:58 pm

Thanks for jumping at the occasion, Linny! :thumbs:

- book title: It says on top of the text of the gutenberg edition:
Title: The Poems of John Donne [2 vols.] Volume I
Edited from the Old Editions and Numerous Manuscripts
Author: John Donne
Editor: Herbert J. C. Grierson
so I would assume that this compilation is by the editor. Thus, I am fine with calling this LV edition "John Donne's Satires" as the book title.

- I've listened to the first intro/outro and since this is a solo, I think we can leave it as it is. But yes, we should be clear on how to do the final outro.

- As for the filenames, I can change them during cataloging very easily, no need to worry. :D
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » February 1st, 2020, 8:12 am

Thanks to both of you; you have been very busy while I wasn't paying attention to the thread. Glad to have you on board, Linny. Really, it is no trouble to make changes to the intro so as to be more in line with general practices. However, before starting, I would like to run by you the language I propose to use. I think it redundant to say "John Donne's Satires by John Donne," so how would this be:
  • Satire 1 of John Donne’s Satires. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by Thomas Copeland. John Donne's Satires. Satire 1.
  • Satire 2 of John Donne's Satires. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Recording by Thomas Copeland. Satire 2.
Oh, yes, and please specify how the final outdo should read.

Tom
Last edited by chymocles on February 1st, 2020, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

linny

Post by linny » February 1st, 2020, 8:23 am

Hello Tom,
Ava indicated that the intro you had would be fine so I updated the PL comments to reflect that.

The only thing we need to consider is the final project closing for the last section. Currently you have limited the ending to be that of a standard section. How about adding "End of John Donne's Satires"?

chymocles

Post by chymocles » February 1st, 2020, 8:27 am

Oh, yes. "End of Donne's Satires" will be fine.

Thanks,

Tom

linny

Post by linny » February 1st, 2020, 8:29 am

Metempsychosis
11:16 (XIII) word change - Just in that instant when the serpents gripe,
Broke the flight veines, and tender conduit-pipe,
I hear slight

22:00 (XXXI) repeat (second one starts with a word change) - Or seas from Africks body had severed
And torne the hopefull Promontories head,

Please add project ending. "End of John Donne's Satires"

linny

Post by linny » February 1st, 2020, 8:35 am

Ava,
Thank you for the feedback. I've updated the PL notes to reflect your input.

We seem to be all set now. :D