COMPLETE [Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 1 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I have recorded "How Theseus Slays the Minotaur" by Nathaniel Hawthorne and the length of the recording is currently (before editing) just at the 60 minute mark, though it will probably slide down to somewhere around 55-57 minutes once I edit out all the hesitations, pauses, and do-overs. I was wondering whether it would be preferable to divide it into two parts, as the action divides pretty neatly at around the 26 minute mark, or leave it as one long recording. I haven't edited yet so it would not be too hard to split it.

Thanks!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JtotheP716 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 1:42 am https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_comingoflugh_young_jp_128kbps.mp3 18:47

My first crack at it.
Jenn, I apologize profoundly for not seeing this before today! PL'ing by lunch time!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ColleenMc wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am I have recorded "How Theseus Slays the Minotaur" by Nathaniel Hawthorne and the length of the recording is currently (before editing) just at the 60 minute mark, though it will probably slide down to somewhere around 55-57 minutes once I edit out all the hesitations, pauses, and do-overs. I was wondering whether it would be preferable to divide it into two parts, as the action divides pretty neatly at around the 26 minute mark, or leave it as one long recording. I haven't edited yet so it would not be too hard to split it.

Thanks!

Colleen
Hi, Colleen! This will be a great addition :)

We actually have 74 minutes as a limitation (due to the length that can be burned onto a CD), so we can keep this story in one section.

Thanks for asking.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Great! It does come through Checker as "failed" saying that files shouldn't be longer than 60 minutes, but like I said, it should edit down to several minutes under 60 so that will also go away.

Thanks!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yeah, it's inconvenient that Checker has a lower time limit than we can do. I have a dramatic reading short story in my editing tasks that's just over 60 minutes, and I have to do the best I can when I check it for volume and all.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JtotheP716 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 1:42 am https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_comingoflugh_young_jp_128kbps.mp3 18:47

My first crack at it.
What a lovely reading, Jenn. You've created a mystical feel for it!

Three edits are needed:

There is a little too much silence at the end; if you clip off 2 seconds, it will meet the 5-second mark.

At 18:13 there is an extra "and before Lugh" (repeated with its full phrase at 18:15)

And we need to have the disclaimer at the beginning. After :07, this should be inserted: "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"

Have you learned how to do punch-ins yet? If not, the easiest way to do that third edit would be to record it in its own Audacity file, then highlight the phrase (with some silence on its ends), copy it, and then click your cursor just after the :07 mark on your story file, and paste the new sentences there. If it's louder or softer than the surrounding original recording, you can highlight the new portion, pull the Effects menu open to access Amplify, and put a 1 (to go louder) or a -1 (to go softer) in that top box. Ignore the lower box, and click OK. If the new phrase needs more volume adjusting, just click Control-R for a repeat action (with the sentences highlighted). Let me know if this didn't make sense!
~Lynette * -
JT68

Post by JT68 »

Recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_mythscherokee_mooney_jt_128kb.mp3
7:06

Link to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45634/45634-h/45634-h.htm#s8

The Daughter of the Sun

For section 5. Some good ones in this work.

JT
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you very much, JT! All loaded in the MW.
I was hoping we'd see some Native American representation. :)
~Lynette * -
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

I do know how to do that! Look at me learning new skills. I get that in there this weekend.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

:) I keep learning new things pretty much every week
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JT68 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 3:12 pm Recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_mythscherokee_mooney_jt_128kb.mp3

The Daughter of the Sun

JT
The Daughter of the Sun is PL OK :thumbs:

JT - I have to apologize to you, too, for failing to PL this before now! I think I'm getting thrown off from my normal routine when I'm doing the more complicated loading of each section into the MW.

Thank you very much for this fine contribution to the collection.
~Lynette * -
JT68

Post by JT68 »

LCaulkins wrote: February 28th, 2020, 1:34 pm
JT68 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 3:12 pm Recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_mythscherokee_mooney_jt_128kb.mp3

The Daughter of the Sun

JT
The Daughter of the Sun is PL OK :thumbs:

JT - I have to apologize to you, too, for failing to PL this before now! I think I'm getting thrown off from my normal routine when I'm doing the more complicated loading of each section into the MW.

Thank you very much for this fine contribution to the collection.
None needed :thumbs: things get busy, and not the only project you've got. Enjoyed contributing.

JT
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Beautifully fixed. :) The Coming of Lugh is PL OK :thumbs:

Thank you so much!!
~Lynette * -