COMPLETE[PLAY]The Old Bachelor by William Congreve - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rhodygirl62 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 9:43 amIn Act III, Scene VII, there is a line following Lucy's last line of the scene that just doesn't seem to be hers. It is, "That woman sure enjoys a blessed night, Whom love and vengeance both at once delight." This seems to be spoken about Lucy. Not sure how to proceed. Please advise.
no this is definitely a Lucy-quote. Sometimes in these old plays the Acts end on a sort of proverb-like statement which usually rhymes. Lucy already in the previous sentence says that Sylvia can be content because she will have her vengeance for her anger. (Come, madam, you’re like to have a happy time on’t; both your love and anger satisfied!)
So it is quite fitting that she will say the same thing in rhyme at the end.

Sonia
Rhodygirl62

Post by Rhodygirl62 »

Kitty wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:52 am
Rhodygirl62 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 9:43 amIn Act III, Scene VII, there is a line following Lucy's last line of the scene that just doesn't seem to be hers. It is, "That woman sure enjoys a blessed night, Whom love and vengeance both at once delight." This seems to be spoken about Lucy. Not sure how to proceed. Please advise.
no this is definitely a Lucy-quote. Sometimes in these old plays the Acts end on a sort of proverb-like statement which usually rhymes. Lucy already in the previous sentence says that Sylvia can be content because she will have her vengeance for her anger. (Come, madam, you’re like to have a happy time on’t; both your love and anger satisfied!)
So it is quite fitting that she will say the same thing in rhyme at the end.

Sonia
Good to know, thanks. I'll get it out to you in a day or so.
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

Can I claim Betty?
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Footman acts 2 & 4 please.
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: March 14th, 2020, 7:18 pm Footman acts 2 & 4 please.
I see you are active right now, thanks, Nemo !! :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Lydia, Betty is all PL ok. Very prim and dutiful you sound :thumbs: nicely done. Wish she had a bigger role.

Sonia
Rhodygirl62

Post by Rhodygirl62 »

Here are the corrected audio files for Acts III and V, for the part of Lucy, Her Maid:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oldbachelor_03_128kb.mp3
[7:48]
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oldbachelor_05_128kb.mp3
[3:00]
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

(Better to use same file name as before - that way the links in the MW are still valid since the old file gets renamed and archived when new file comes along from the uploader.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rhodygirl62 wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:01 am Here are the corrected audio files for Acts III and V, for the part of Lucy, Her Maid:
thank you, both are now PL ok :) the first file could use a bit of noise-cleaning, but since there are no other errors, I'll make a note for Todd to run it before he edits the file in.

Sonia
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

ToddHW wrote: March 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm
MichaelMaggs wrote: March 6th, 2020, 4:19 pm Todd: a quick question - will you want the narrator to read the whole of the introduction? It's interesting, but quite long, and I'm hesitating about the time required.
No, do not read the introduction.

Please read:
TO THE RIGHT HONOURABLE CHARLES, LORD CLIFFORD OF LANESBOROUGH, ETC.
TO MR. CONGREVE (3 sections)
PROLOGUE INTENDED....
PROLOGUE

Thanks, Todd
OK, here are the stage directions for act 1 (very short) plus the introductory material (very long). I do hope the first performance was good enough to stand up to the totally OTT introductory build-up. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oldbachelor_narrator_1_128kb.mp3 @19:15

Throughout the play, I've omitted the odd text that appears in square brackets at the start of many scenes: "[To him]" etc
Last edited by MichaelMaggs on March 19th, 2020, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd