[COMPLETE][History][Geography]World's Story 10: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,
I did happen to see in a reply from you to a reader that "they have 1 more month and by than this thread should be finished and it will be time for the next book"....
Where will we be traveling to with the next book?
;)
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Where will we be traveling to with the next book?
yes it's not a secret, the next part will be about Central and South America, including Canada for some reason :lol: So every part of the American continent, except the USA. They will have a separate book and this will be the project after the next one.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

The fixed file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_053_3rd_witch_tappan_128kb.mp3
1:14 min

It is a different microphone :? , but better than nothing :D I hope you don't mind the drums, it was just that I heard a couple of them ;) :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: March 17th, 2020, 8:39 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_053_3rd_witch_tappan_128kb.mp3
It is a different microphone :? , but better than nothing :D I hope you don't mind the drums, it was just that I heard a couple of them ;) :lol:
hmmm well it does rhyme better with only one drum :lol: but I think it will work. Or maybe I can cut an 's' in editing. Thank you in any case, it's PL ok now.

Only waiting for Tomas now...

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is a DRAFT of MacBeth - not ready for PL yet.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_053_tappan_128kb.mp3

I'll finish this off when Tomas finishes Banquo.

Thanks, Todd
BriannaChiles

Post by BriannaChiles »

Kitty wrote: March 12th, 2020, 1:17 pm
BriannaChiles wrote: March 12th, 2020, 1:11 pmMay I have section 116?
hello Brianna, and welcome to our forum :)

thank you for your interest in this project. Brave of you to tackle the Welsh lines included in this section. For the time being, I can reserve you this section for one month. This will give you the time to complete your one-minute-test, which we warmly recommend, before you start recording anything in a project.

Sonia
I see what you mean, but I've been going over the words in Google translate and listening and testing them on my tongue. While I have no experience with Welsh, I pick up on inflections in foreign words pretty quick. Hopefully it'll be accurate if not perfect.

P.S. My one minute test is up.
Brianna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:55 pmHere is a DRAFT of MacBeth - not ready for PL yet.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_053_tappan_128kb.mp3
I'll finish this off when Tomas finishes Banquo.
:shock: already finished ! thank you so much for the precious help, Todd. :9: I will PL it all when it's finalized.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BriannaChiles wrote: March 18th, 2020, 2:51 pmI see what you mean, but I've been going over the words in Google translate and listening and testing them on my tongue. While I have no experience with Welsh, I pick up on inflections in foreign words pretty quick. Hopefully it'll be accurate if not perfect.
:thumbs: great, looking forward to this. :) although sometimes one has to take google translate with a grain of salt ;) but I guess for a good overview it's not bad.

I saw your one-minute-test and Phil has given you feedback already. Please correct those issues first, as it's very important to have the technical settings correct.

Thank you

Sonia
BriannaChiles

Post by BriannaChiles »

https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/The_Eisteddfod.mp3

I hope this works and it's not too quiet.
Brianna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BriannaChiles wrote: March 20th, 2020, 8:13 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/covers/The_Eisteddfod.mp3
I hope this works and it's not too quiet.
regarding volume, it is 86 dB, which is the lower limit we are accepting. But don't go any lower ;)

Thank you Brianna for this wonderfully narrated section. :9: And your Welsh sounded quite accurate to me, excellent :clap: Lively narration and the little sing-song at the end was a special touch. Did you know this song or did you invent a tune ?

Now before I can mark this as ok, I need a few corrections still. No need to re-record the entire file ! Don't worry about this, on the whole it was nearly word-perfect. Just a few sentences you need to re-record, but they are easily inserted at the correct spots. If you have problems with editing, please ask. It is not difficult and good to learn from the start, as it saves so much time for everyone involved.

Here is what you have to do. It may look like a lot but actually isn't that much:

> at 0:01: for the intro disclaimer, please always use the example in the first post. So here, don't start with the title but with the section number.
Please say all the following (you forgot the underlined parts) :
Section 116 of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org.
[optional here: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"]
The World’s Story Volume X: England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, edited by Eva March Tappan. Section 116. The Eisteddfod, by Jeannette Marks" (not: "Augustus", where did you find that name ? :hmm: )

> at 9:30: (p. 605) "and it may be, since music is more social and democratic" - you say "dramatic".

> at 21:44: (p. 611) missed part of the sentence (underlined) : "my visit to Llangollen Eisteddfod two years ago"

> at 23:08: you forgot to include the outro disclaimer, which is also mentioned in the first post. Please add all of the following:
"End of Section 116 This recording is in the public domain. End of The World’s Story. A history of the World in Story, Song and Art. Volume X: England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, edited by Eva March Tappan."

> and please always leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence at the end of each recording, so it doesn't cut off too abruptly

> since you are reuploading anyway, please correct the filename to the standard example, which is also mentioned in the first post (that first post is always very important to read !). The filename in this case should be: worldstory_volume10_116_tappan_128kb

> and please upload to the folder of "Kitty", because I am the MC of this project. The MC can also be found in the first post ;)

> and always state the length of the section when you are posting a file, so we can update the Magic Window (MW) accordingly

> finally, so I can open your personal reader page, can you tell me what reader name you want to go by ? Can be a pseudonym or your real name, whatever you wish.

Thank you, great first section, hopefully many more to come. :9:

Sonia
BriannaChiles

Post by BriannaChiles »

Thanks. I'm glad most of it was ok. Sorry about all the mistakes. I did read the first section, but I have a terrible memory and forget specifics and what's important or just don't comprehend it. It must be an irritation to you to have to explain things over and over again.

I found her name on Wikipedia and that's what it said at the top of the stories.

As to the song, it is the real tune to the Welsh National Anthem. I did a lot of research on youtube on pronounciations of the towns and the eisteddfod and language in general the past couple of days. Therefore, I know what all the places I read about look like now. And even the druidic ceremony. Very interesting stuff. I wasn't sure if actual singing was allowed, but took the chance since I couldn't figure out how to say it properly just talking.

I'll figure out how to edit it as soon as I can. I'm not good with technology in general, haha.

So you need the length of the section as in how many minutes and seconds it is?

For the reader name I'll go by my name: Brianna Chiles.
Brianna
BriannaChiles

Post by BriannaChiles »

24:06 / p. 601 / 12 pages
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_116_tappan_128kb.mp3

I hope this works.

I noticed that Jeanette had a thing for tongue-twisters (aloud) and run-on sentences. It helped to remind me how those can confuse the reader.
Brianna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BriannaChiles wrote: March 20th, 2020, 1:16 pmSorry about all the mistakes. I did read the first section, but I have a terrible memory and forget specifics and what's important or just don't comprehend it.
Don't worry, I realize it's a lot to take in at the beginning. But you will be able to mumble this disclaimer in your sleep soon :lol: It all becomes routine after a while.
As to the song, it is the real tune to the Welsh National Anthem. I wasn't sure if actual singing was allowed, but took the chance since I couldn't figure out how to say it properly just talking.
oh this is the Welsh anthem :oops: I didn't even know. It sounds beautiful. I noticed this choir says one word before the title, it confused me a bit with the melody until I noticed :lol: Do you read sheet music ?
We usually don't encourage singing or including music or special effects on LV, because we have to make extra sure that the tunes are public domain too. I checked up the Welsh anthem now and the music is old enough to by public domain, so no trouble there this time.
I'll figure out how to edit it as soon as I can. I'm not good with technology in general, haha.
you edited it all brilliantly, if this was your first try, you are a natural. I wish my first attempts were that good.

There is only one more thing to correct.

> in the beginning now you also have 5 seconds of silence, which weren't there before. I meant ONLY at the end we need 5 seconds, in the beginning we recommend about 0.5 to 1 second of silence but not more. Could you just cut the beginning by 4 seconds, and reupload with the exact same file name ? Then all will be perfect. (sorry for being picky)
So you need the length of the section as in how many minutes and seconds it is?
yes exactly, if you read some other posts in here then you'll see how the others are doing. Yours was fine :) thank you
For the reader name I'll go by my name: Brianna Chiles.
excellent, and here is your reader page now: https://librivox.org/reader/13963 I see you have already two projects listed. There will be more with time ;)

One last upload and your first section will be ok, thank you

Sonia
BriannaChiles

Post by BriannaChiles »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_116_tappan_128kb.mp3

now it's 24:02

No, I don't read sheet music. But I have sisters who do. I learned the beginning on youtube.
Brianna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BriannaChiles wrote: March 21st, 2020, 6:57 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume10_116_tappan_128kb.mp3
now it's 24:02
No, I don't read sheet music. But I have sisters who do. I learned the beginning on youtube.
ah ok, yes, but we have to be careful there, some "famous" interpretations may not be PD. But here it's only a small excerpt, I think we will be fine, but that is one of the reasons why we may not include many songs into our projects.

It's now PL ok. :clap: Your first section is in the box. Congrats, hopefully many more to come.

If you have claimed anything before your Test was approved, please remember to post in those threads and tell the BC to assign the sections to you officially, otherwise they may not know that you are still interested.

See you in the next project hopefully :)

Sonia