COMPLETE-Dreams Collection 1 - Stories and Poems -ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Erin. PL OK, and one more name for the catalog!
One more slot waiting for you to fill!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded The Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Dostoyevsky
It was tough to keep this reading within the 1 hour Checker limit!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dreamscollection1_dreamofridiculous_dostoyevsky_wj_128kb.mp3 59:30

Gutenberg EBook #40745

"The Dream of a Ridiculous Man" is a short story by Fyodor Dostoyevsky written in 1877. It chronicles the experiences of a man who decides that there is nothing of any value in the world. Slipping into nihilism with the “terrible anguish” he is determined to commit suicide. Wikipedia
Originally published: 1877
Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm Uploaded The Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Dostoyevsky
It was tough to keep this reading within the 1 hour Checker limit!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dreamscollection1_dreamofridiculous_dostoyevsky_wj_128kb.mp3 59:30

Gutenberg EBook #40745
I know this story! I love this story! I look forward to listening soon. Thank you.

I need the link to your text.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

RE-Uploaded The Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Dostoyevsky with numerous corrections.
This was not my happiest moment.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dreamscollection1_dreamofridiculous_dostoyevsky_wj_128kb.mp3 59:34
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Bill.

Other than numerous places where your volume boosts considerably (I did not cite them), like where you made edits on a different day, this file is PL OK.

What a story! He dreams of an alternate Earth, a world without sin, like Eden. And he finds it boring. Ha! Cool concept.
sarahrejoice

Post by sarahrejoice »

Hi Michele! Here is my contribution:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dreamscollection1_thedream_millay_srb_128kb.mp3 (1:17)
Title: The Dream
Author: Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892 - 1950)
Source: https://theotherpages.org/poems/millay03.html#15

Thanks!
“Ah, how good it is to be among people who are reading.” –Rainer Maria Rilke
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Sarah. I love Edna St. Vincent Millay! Great choice. PL OK.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded A Curious Dream by Mark Twain

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dreamscollection1_curiousdrem_twain_wj_128kb.mp3 2:18

Yes, I realize now that I've dropped the "a" from "Dream".
If I have any PL corrections to make, I'll fix that in the upload.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: January 30th, 2020, 9:17 pm Uploaded A Curious Dream by Mark Twain

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dreamscollection1_curiousdrem_twain_wj_128kb.mp3 2:18

Yes, I realize now that I've dropped the "a" from "Dream".
If I have any PL corrections to make, I'll fix that in the upload.
I need a text source to PL from, please. And the correct time is 25:18, and could you go ahead and submit a correctly named file now, lest we somehow forget to change it later. The LV devil is in the details. :twisted:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes on A Curious Dream

Intro, the full title is actually
"A Curious Dream (written about 1870), containing a moral."
22:15 -24:11, and 24:29 to end, you didn't transfer back to the narrator's gravelly voice. The skeleton keeps talking to the end.

Thanks for this neat story! Very creative concept. Nice voices. I didn't know Mark Twain wrote macabre stories.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: January 31st, 2020, 1:40 pm PL Notes on A Curious Dream

22:15 -24:11, and 24:29 to end, you didn't transfer back to the narrator's gravelly voice. The skeleton keeps talking to the end.

Thanks for this neat story! Very creative concept. Nice voices. I didn't know Mark Twain wrote macabre stories.
Please clarify: should I have used the full title in all 3 places where the instructions say "title"; or just in the first occurrence?

I dropped the gravelly voice because it didn't seem to add anything to the story except make my throat a bit sore. I was uncertain whether I should re-record the start of the story in a straight voice. The prospect of re-recording the buik of the story with the gravelly voice was not appealing. Tell me what you want me to do, please: (1) leave the voices as they are, (2) re-record the opening minutes without the gravellyvoice, or (3) re-record the whole kit-and-kaboodle in the gravelly voice.

Plus, at the point where I dropped the gravelly voice, it occurred to me that is was the SKELETON'S voice which should be gravelly.

I await your counsel and advice.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: January 31st, 2020, 2:13 pm
msfry wrote: January 31st, 2020, 1:40 pm PL Notes on A Curious Dream

Please clarify: should I have used the full title in all 3 places where the instructions say "title"; or just in the first occurrence?

I dropped the gravelly voice because it didn't seem to add anything to the story except make my throat a bit sore. I was uncertain whether I should re-record the start of the story in a straight voice. The prospect of re-recording the buik of the story with the gravelly voice was not appealing. Tell me what you want me to do, please: (1) leave the voices as they are, (2) re-record the opening minutes without the gravellyvoice, or (3) re-record the whole kit-and-kaboodle in the gravelly voice.

Plus, at the point where I dropped the gravelly voice, it occurred to me that is was the SKELETON'S voice which should be gravelly.

I await your counsel and advice.
I would say, full title just in the first occurrence.
It's readers' choice on who wears the gravelly voice. It sort of "made the piece" interest-wise, though, so as long as it's consistent with one character, go with that. It's only a few minutes as it is. No rush. Rest your voice, win an Oscar!
That gravelly voice did sound like a corpse that had been buried for 50 years!!!!! But it could as well be a very tired old guy sitting around a graveyard. Like, who does that?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

In Re: A Curious Dream

I have started re-recording it, giving the skeleton the raspy voice.
Momentarily stopped on account of rain and thunder.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison