[solo] Grampa In Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

[solo] Grampa In Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson (1891 - 1976).

This project is complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/grampa-in-oz-by-ruth-plumly-thompson/
Another great book in the world of Oz, in which King Fumbo of Ragbad loses his head in a storm and Prince Tatters, accompanied by the wise and wonderful old soldier Grampa, sets off to find the king's head, a fortune, and a princess.

With Bill, a live iron weathercock, they visit a Wizard's Garden and discover Urtha, a lovely girl made all of flowers -- and proceed to fall, swim, explode, sail, and fly above and below Oz and Ev. Grampa and Co. eventually meet Dorothy herself, traveling with a Forgetful Poet in search of the missing princess of Perhaps City who has been condemned to marry a monster! Ruth Plumly Thompson really hits her stride in this book, telling the OZ story with her own dash and style that will make you smile and outright laugh each chapter. The puns are continuously bad and will make you groan! ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://childrensbooksonline.org/grampa_in_oz/pages/005_grandpa_in_oz.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of [solo] Grampa In Oz. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[solo] Grampa In Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of [solo] Grampa In Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [solo] Grampa In Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename [solo]grampainoz_##_thompson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. [solo]grampainoz_01_thompson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I have no doubt made a number of slips and mistakes in these recordings. Just tell me where they are and I'll fix 'em. And happy New Year!
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Woo hoo! More Oz! I forgot how many great lines there are in these books. I am still impressed by how much energy you can keep up while reading. For Chapter 1, there aren't many mistakes, but I did have a few comments:

The volume reads high for me at 93 dbs.

This is a slightly odd situation with the preface and Chapter 1 in the same file (I do agree with that choice though). There were a few suggestions I had about the beginning disclaimer that may help smooth it a bit (of course, you probably know better than me). I noticed that it currently starts with the full Grampa In Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson, then ends that way too. Then it goes on to say Chapter 1: Preface, which seemed a bit off for me. There were a few situations I could think of that may make it go smoother. The first would be a bit less work, as most of it would stay the same:

Grampa In Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
Preface
Then, after the preface is read, introduce Chapter 1

The other scenario:

Preface and Chapter 1 of Grampa In Oz.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
Grandpa in Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. Preface.

Of course, I could know nothing at all and both of these could be unacceptable. And maybe it is smooth as it is and my ears are unusual. Feel free to ignore if you wish.

0:02/0:20/1:33 – heard ‘Plumy’ instead of ‘Plumly’ (although I like her name as Plumy better)

8:39 – repeat of ‘and of’

Can't wait for more!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 2:

So the main issue is that the audio is only 55 seconds long. It cuts off at the beginning of the second page. Perhaps you only exported selected audio? Here are the few notes for the first 55 seconds:

Volume reads high at 92.9 dbs

0:04 – again heard ‘Plumy’ instead of ‘Plumly’
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 3 was wonderful. Go Bill! Here are my notes:

0:03 – again heard ‘Plumy’ instead of ‘Plumly’

4:34 – I could not hear the ‘p’ in ‘pause’

13:11 – the first half of ‘prince’ is cut off

The last minute or two, especially the ending silence, had a background noise that sounded like music to me. You may want to check up on that.
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Great Notes! As for Plumly and Plumy my goodness! I have always pronounced it as Plumy, and it obviously is Plumly, right there before my eyes. My mistake and I apologize for future listeners for this but I'm going to leave it like that. Who knows, maybe her family pronounced it like that?

The volume is indeed high. My interface is hotter than I thought and will need to tone it down a bit. If it does not hurt your ears I will leave the tracks as they are for now and reduce it all to 89 dB in validation. If they do cause you pain, I'll be glad to reduce all the tracks now. Just let me know.

The Preface and chaper 1 was a mistake and I will fix that. Good catch. Also the other bobbles and stuff in section 1. The disclaimer is interesting but we have pretty much locked it in as is over the years. Please explain a bit more about how it could be smoother, I am interested.
:D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

EDIT: I have changed my mind and changed Plumy to Plumly in the first sectionl. Since I will be fixing mistakes in most files I've decided to fix those at the same time. Yaaa! thanks again for being such a careful listener and giving such good notes.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Section 1 has been fixed (I hope) and is ready for spot PL.
lymiewithpurpose

philchenevert wrote: January 1st, 2020, 6:09 pm As for Plumly and Plumy my goodness! I have always pronounced it as Plumy, and it obviously is Plumly, right there before my eyes.
Well sometimes our eyes see what they want to see, and this is Oz... I like it better as Plumy, but unfortunately I don't get to choose people's names. Sounds good that you will change it.
philchenevert wrote: January 1st, 2020, 6:09 pm If it does not hurt your ears I will leave the tracks as they are for now and reduce it all to 89 dB in validation.
They do not hurt my ears in the least. Just caught it in my standard Checker run. Would you like me to put notes in the MW if they are high, or will you check them all during validation?
philchenevert wrote: January 1st, 2020, 6:09 pm The disclaimer is interesting but we have pretty much locked it in as is over the years. Please explain a bit more about how it could be smoother, I am interested.
Yes the disclaimer is very unique but works well I find. I hope I made it clear that I have no problems with it in general. I thought it just sounded a bit strange in this situation.
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 1 spot PL:

This is merely optional, feel free to mark as OK if you wish.

0:22 – Still heard ‘Plumy’ here, this could be an easy cut/paste from elsewhere if wanted

It's getting to my 'busy' evening, so I will probably not get more done. Tomorrow I will continue and root on the adventurers.
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapter 2. One of those strange things happened, I don't know why but it cut off almost all of the mp3 file. I have recorded it again and uploaded so it should be ready for PL. You surely don't want to know the start of the great adventure when they start out to find Fumbo's head and a fortune. Sorry for the mishap.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapter 3 is ready for spot check.
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 4 was wonderfully read! Only note is the Plumy thing, so it is optional.

I took a quick look at Chapter 1. After I had given notes, you re uploaded. I had mentioned that there was one Plumy still in there, but said that it was OK to mark as OK if wanted. Then, this morning, it appeared as Spot PL again with no changes. Do you know what's happening there?

Busy day potentially, but will get to the Spot Pl of chapter 3 and the entirety of Chapter 2 (so I can see the beginning of the adventure) when possible!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 3 is OK, nice work!
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I took a quick look at Chapter 1. After I had given notes, you re uploaded. I had mentioned that there was one Plumy still in there, but said that it was OK to mark as OK if wanted. Then, this morning, it appeared as Spot PL again with no changes. Do you know what's happening there?
I apologize for all this extra work by you. I have multiple projects going on at the same time and so many folders. By oversight, a file I am working on or fixing is saved to the wrong file because it happens to be open. When uploading what I think is the newly corrected file, I go to the correct folder and think the old file is actually the 'new' one and upload it. But it ain't. It's the same old one. tsk, tsk. Bad on me, eh?
Long explanation but that's what happens. I promise to do better! :D .