[Complete] Madame de Mauves by Henry James

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners

Post by 8586 »

Madame de Mauves by Henry James (1843 - 1916).
All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/madame-de-mauves-by-henry-james/

Abandoned former solo reactivated as a group project
Considered an early masterpiece, "Madame de Mauves" is the first of Henry James's 'international contrasts'. It recounts the story of an American girl, Euphemia Cleve, through the eyes of her fellow countryman Longmore. Euphemia marries an impoverished French aristocrat, the Baron de Mauves, in the belief that he is the ideal of all her girlhood fancies. Longmore is the admiring spectator of her disillusionment. Is she really so unhappy as he imagines? What is, if any, the essential difference between an American idealist and a French man of the world? ( Gemma L Myers)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7813/7813-h/7813-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Henry James) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_James
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_de_Mauves
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 9
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1874
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Gemma L Myers Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: Henry James, madame de mauves, early works

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Madame de Mauves. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Madame de Mauves, by Henry James. [Chapter]"

END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Madame de Mauves, by Henry James. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename madamedemauves_##_james_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. madamedemauves_01_james_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Gemma L Myers

"[W]ith a great poet the sense of Beauty overcomes every other consideration" John Keats
linny

Post by linny »

DPL checking in.

Welcome back, Gemma! :clap:
linny

Post by linny »

If you haven't been recording during your time away, you might want to consider another 1 minute test before you get started. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I'll set this up for you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have set up the project for you.

It looks like you haven't BCd before but don't worry... I can walk you through it.

First of all, near the top right of the first post, there is a stubby little pencil icon. That allows you to edit the first post.

You can alter the summary (useful if you're not familiar with the book and change your mind what to say as you read)

The whole section on id tags can be deleted.This is a throwback to our old software but these days anything you enter as id tags gets overwritten; and may even cause problems during cataloguing, so I'd have to delete them anyway :D

You can change the file name... it causes difficulties once you've started uploading files (not insurmountable, but do it too often and you won't be popular :shock: ) To be honest, I wouldn't change it in this case, but your choice.

You can also edit the introduction... for example, to say section instead of chapter.

I'll put login instructions for the Magic Window in a separate post.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

The MW is probably straightforward...
I have entered the chapters -- usually, we wouldn't put in chapter numbers, just the title. Hit enter when you have finished typing.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Linny.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project

Post by 8586 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/madamedemauves_01_james_128kb.mp3

I hope I finally got this uploaded properly! I've been quite slow to figure out the process, and required some hand-holding!

Thanks so much!
Gemma L Myers

"[W]ith a great poet the sense of Beauty overcomes every other consideration" John Keats
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Everything initially looks good. Linny will be along soon to proof listen and may have suggestions. Please feel free if you have questions. We don’t bite :D
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Gemma,
It's so nice to hear your voice again.

You are off to a lovely start. Chapter 1 is PL OK. :D

Be careful of the ending silence. You don't want it too much over the ~5 seconds or it may seem a long time to the listeners before the next chapter begins.

Post by 8586 »

Marvellous! I'm so excited! Really, the Librivox community is tops! :9:

I started recording the second chapter last night, but I think I may need to do some extra prep to pull off a French accent for a few of the characters. Is there a resource you know of that offers tips on accents? My Dad does live theatre, and he suggested www.dialectsarchive.com. I'll skip the accent if it does not sound right, but I thought it worth a try. You can let me know if it does not serve the text. I am not a perfectionist: I have three small children--if I was seeking perfection, nothing would ever get done! :lol:

By the way, just out of curiosity, does my own accent sound Canadian?

Thanks, and thanks, again!
Gemma L Myers

linny

Post by linny »

Unfortunately, I have no ear for accents. You don't sound particularly Canadian to me.

As for help with the French you may want to post here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40008

Post by 8586 »

Hello! Just checking in to say I have not fallen off the planet! We've had colds, so I did not want to record. Half of the second chapter is done! More to come!
Cheers!
Gemma L Myers

linny

Post by linny »

Good to hear from you. I was starting to wonder. I hope you feel better soon!

Post by 8586 »

Checking in! I've been languishing with morning sickness--Baby #4 en route! I hope to have Chapter 2 uploaded in a week or two!

Cheers!
Gemma L Myers

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

8586 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 9:09 am Checking in! I've been languishing with morning sickness--Baby #4 en route! I hope to have Chapter 2 uploaded in a week or two!

Cheers!
Congratulations, but bad luck with the morning sickness. Must be tough with 3 others stuck at home.