COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Volume 072 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

The battle for the 20th :thumbs:
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello,
Here are chapters 5-7 of Thomas Andrews Shipbuilder by Shan F. Bullock (1865-1935).
URL: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32166/32166-h/32166-h.htm
Audio recording ready for PL'ing: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_thomasandrewsshipbuilder_bullock_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 00:33:00

Best regards,
Chad
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Horner94 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 9:59 pm Hello,
Here are chapters 5-7 of Thomas Andrews Shipbuilder by Shan F. Bullock (1865-1935).
URL: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32166/32166-h/32166-h.htm
Audio recording ready for PL'ing: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_thomasandrewsshipbuilder_bullock_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 00:33:00

Best regards,
Chad
Hi Chad,

Thank you for your continuing interest in the Short Nonfiction Collection. Before I can accept a second contribution from you, I must request that you complete the edits and volume correction on your selection by Chesterton, "Child Psychology and Nonsense" which you sent to us on December 30, 2019. As you know from my three PMs to you and your PM to me, you are aware that our dedicated proof listener asked for corrections on January 1, 2020 and that there was a 2-week deadline for edits. Since you still have not made these corrections, the selection has been removed from Vol. 072. It can be re-instated when the corrections have been completed.

Regarding your current selection on Thomas Andrews: biographical material relating to Andrews is inherently a good subject for a short-nonfiction selection, given Andrews' connection with the Titanic. However, a short nonfiction selection needs to "stand as a whole." Sometimes a chapter from a book can stand by itself, i.e. make sense to a listener who has not read the whole book, but, in my estimation, chapters 5-7 from Thomas Andrews Shipbuilder do not meet that criteria.

Also the Andrews selection did not pass Checker. [The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).] This is the same problem Craig pointed out to you with regard to Chesterton.

In conclusion, please finish Chesterton before going on to anything new.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

KevinS wrote: March 6th, 2020, 7:22 pm William Faulkner (1897 - 1962)

"Verse Old and Nascent: A Pilgrimage"

https://archive.org/details/williamfaulkner00faul/page/114/mode/1up

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_pilgrimage_faulkner_ks_128kb.mp3 (8:03)
Thank you, Kevin, a nice selection! :) Youthful discovery in books . . . does it even take place anymore? I thought about that recently when dusting bookcases from separate sides of a long marriage, both bookcases containing a few duplicate copies brought into the union; one of these titles being Thomas Wolfe's, Of Time and the River, subtitled "A Legend of Man's Hunger in His Youth"--an author I would imagine is unreadable at my current age.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Kevin -

John Keats wrote books so he could get married?

published in 1962 :?:

Only one very minor error:

4:37 I joined an emotional BPOE - you said PBOE – I guess it might not matter unless it means something to a listener.
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE; also often known as the Elks Lodge or simply The Elks) is an American fraternal order founded in 1868 originally as a social club in New York City.
PBOE stands for "Personal Banking for Overseas Employees". or Peigan Board of Education
:D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: March 7th, 2020, 6:11 am Thanks Kevin -

John Keats wrote books so he could get married?

published in 1962 :?:

Only one very minor error:

4:37 I joined an emotional BPOE - you said PBOE – I guess it might not matter unless it means something to a listener.
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE; also often known as the Elks Lodge or simply The Elks) is an American fraternal order founded in 1868 originally as a social club in New York City.
PBOE stands for "Personal Banking for Overseas Employees". or Peigan Board of Education
:D

Craig
Craig, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that this book has been discussed before as being PD. I'll find the link so that we can document this in this thread. And I'll correct my slip of the tongue or mind or whatever it is that slips when record nowadays.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here is the discussion mentioned: viewtopic.php?p=756487#p756487

What's better, I found another source which can be used. It is found here: https://books.google.com/books?id=gawvAAAAMAAJ&dq Published in 1924!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sue Anderson wrote: March 7th, 2020, 5:41 am Youthful discovery in books . . . does it even take place anymore? I thought about that recently when dusting bookcases from separate sides of a long marriage, both bookcases containing a few duplicate copies brought into the union; one of these titles being Thomas Wolfe's, Of Time and the River, subtitled "A Legend of Man's Hunger in His Youth"--an author I would imagine is unreadable at my current age.
A sweet story. I missed this Wolfe in my youth. Time for a read!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Availle wrote: July 6th, 2012, 5:18 am I have just found a book with drawings, poetry and stories by William Faulkner on archive:

http://archive.org/details/williamfaulkner00faul

It says there:
Possible copyright status: Copyright status reviewed by UF staff - Out of copyright

Even if this is not true for the whole book (preface, introduction, appendix); according to the "Notes on the Texts" starting on page 123, all the stories and poetry in the main text of the book by Faulkner (not in the appendix though!) have been published before 1923, so would be PD for librivox anyway.

The book is not PD for myself (Faulkner only died in 1962), but I guess that many of our American readers would be interested in reading this?
Copyright: Here we go again on the thorny issue of Copyright. I will refer back to a discussion that occurred in September 2019, during Volume 070. A question came up about a work that was published after 1923. I rejected this submission because, currently, to be in the public domain a work needs to be published prior to 1924--with some exceptions: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76512&p=1634112#p1634112.

Objection was raised to my rejection. I referred the matter to knotyouraveragejo, our "admin" for the SNF, and Jo checked into the book in question. Jo wrote in the thread for Vol. 070 that normally LibriVox accepts works deemed by Haithi Trust to be in the public domain. Jo also stated that some works published after 1923 could be in the public domain because their copyright had not been renewed, and she referred us to a Stanford University source where we could check this: https://exhibits.stanford.edu/copyrightrenewals.

Now, we come to this Faulkner selection, which, according to my brief dive into sources, was published in a magazine The Double Dealer, in April 1925. Going just by date of publication, this selection is not acceptable for inclusion in Librivox. However, this issue of The Double Dealer is freely available for download through Google Books. It is also freely available (as a 1966 Kraus reprint) for download thru Hathi Trust: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015025342596&view=1up&seq=5. Haithi Trust states that this book is in the public domain.

I have checked the Stanford source, and the Double Dealer for 1925 did not, as far as I can tell, renew copyright.

Therefore, I am going to accept the Faulkner selection for Vol. 072.

Meanwhile, I have received a PM from a Librivox admin (not Jo) telling me that Kevin needs to find an out-of-copyright source for his submission. "Technically," this is not possible, because the essay was (apparently) published in 1925.

I will state here for the record, that I requested, in writing, in a PM, in September 2019 that the admins make clear, in the LibriVox Wiki, whether Haithi Trust's public domain credentials were now to be accepted by myself and the LibriVox community as a definite proof of public domain status.

To summarize my position. I will accept a Haithi Trust source as PD for Kevin's submission to this volume of the SNF. If any admin objects to my decision, I ask that they enter the debate here in the thread, and that the question of Haithi Trust/PD then be moved elsewhere on the forum.

Thank you.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I certainly didn't mean to cause trouble. While I didn't realize the Google Books source (marked 1924) references a number of years, I do understand that the Faulkner piece is in the public domain. I've seen it made quite clear elsewhere that Hathitrust does good work and that their findings are sound. I'm more than willing to withdraw this submission, but I am rather unwilling to allow an argument against Hathitust's findings being sufficient. If that were the case, I think I would have to withdraw two or three of my already cataloged pieces.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The 1962 publication by Kraus Reprint Corporation appears to be exactly that - an unchanged reprint of the issues of the Double Dealer with the copyright date of 1923 clearly indicated at the bottom of table of contents of each individual issue. So although the Faulkner piece is from the May 1925 issue, the copyright notice states 1923, and both Google Books and Hathitrust have unrestricted access to this reprint. The HathiTrust page states Rights: Public Domain in the United State, Google-digitized. At least three different universities appear to agree that this material is not under copyright by providing copies to be digitized. In my opinion, that is sufficient proof of public domain status for LibriVox, but I will add the usual caveat that if there is ever a valid challenge to its public domain status, then we would remove the submission from the catalog at that time.
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 7th, 2020, 3:36 pm The 1962 publication by Kraus Reprint Corporation appears to be exactly that - an unchanged reprint of the issues of the Double Dealer with the copyright date of 1923 clearly indicated at the bottom of table of contents of each individual issue. So although the Faulkner piece is from the May 1925 issue, the copyright notice states 1923, and both Google Books and Hathitrust have unrestricted access to this reprint. The HathiTrust page states Rights: Public Domain in the United State, Google-digitized. At least three different universities appear to agree that this material is not under copyright by providing copies to be digitized. In my opinion, that is sufficient proof of public domain status for LibriVox, but I will add the usual caveat that if there is ever a valid challenge to its public domain status, then we would remove the submission from the catalog at that time.
Thank you. In future, I will try to avoid such near things for this collection.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thank you, Jo.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for all the information. Copyright is tricky :evil:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge