COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Volume 072 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

So for this recording and the previous book, I've been getting up at 4:30 AM. Recording from about 5:00 - 7:00 AM gives me virtual silence except the dogs barking at joggers and dogs being walked.
You're a dedicated reader Jeffery :D Yes the news - or at least national news - is a newsense.

It sounds good :thumbs:

But - your initials should be lower case

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

GAA!
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
soupy

Post by soupy »

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Excited to be able to join in a short NF collection again! And again indulging my fascination with digging around the New York Times archives. This one is the detailed report of a murder trial from one of the very first issues of the NYT in September of 1851. I hope it's not too deadly dull for everyone else; I found the minutiae of the (fairly mundane) crime and trial fascinating since it's not something you normally see in "big" histories and probably the only time all of these participants were noticed by the press in their whole lives.

Also, as a retired cop, I was also very entertained by how completely similar the actions of the participants and witnesses at the scene were to my own experiences 150-some years later, right down to the perpetrator being all bluster as he's being taken to jail and then begging the officer to just kill him once he realizes he's locked up. Been there, done that, plenty of times! Anyway, here it is:

"The Murder Trial of James Sullivan" by anonymous from the New York Times, September 24, 1851

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_murdertrialjamessullivan_anonymous_cm_128kb.mp3

26:58

source: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1851/09/24/443417382.pdf?pdf_redirect=true&ip=0
If the PL-er cannot see the link, let me know and I can email a copy of the PDF!

A couple of notes: I slightly renamed the article, which was originally headlined just "The Murder Trial" because that's a commonly used headline and who knows, I might want to read another murder trial article at some point and will need a headline that differentiates. Hope that's okay.

There's a section where the image is dark and somewhat smeared but I did the best I could. If the listener thinks that the text reads differently and it changes the story at all I'll happily re-record.

Also, the one attorney's name changes in the course of the article from "Buckley" to "Bulkley" but I decided to be consistent and keep it as Buckley, so that was a slight change from the text. There was also a sentence that repeated exactly, so I assumed that was a misprint and only read it the once.

Thanks!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Horner94's selection postponed for edits; slot #1 replaced with new selection.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:06 pm Excited to be able to join in a short NF collection again! And again indulging my fascination with digging around the New York Times archives. This one is the detailed report of a murder trial from one of the very first issues of the NYT in September of 1851. I hope it's not too deadly dull for everyone else; I found the minutiae of the (fairly mundane) crime and trial fascinating since it's not something you normally see in "big" histories and probably the only time all of these participants were noticed by the press in their whole lives.

Also, as a retired cop, I was also very entertained by how completely similar the actions of the participants and witnesses at the scene were to my own experiences 150-some years later, right down to the perpetrator being all bluster as he's being taken to jail and then begging the officer to just kill him once he realizes he's locked up. Been there, done that, plenty of times! Anyway, here it is:

"The Murder Trial of James Sullivan" by anonymous from the New York Times, September 24, 1851

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_murdertrialjamessullivan_anonymous_cm_128kb.mp3

26:58

source: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1851/09/24/443417382.pdf?pdf_redirect=true&ip=0
If the PL-er cannot see the link, let me know and I can email a copy of the PDF!

A couple of notes: I slightly renamed the article, which was originally headlined just "The Murder Trial" because that's a commonly used headline and who knows, I might want to read another murder trial article at some point and will need a headline that differentiates. Hope that's okay.

There's a section where the image is dark and somewhat smeared but I did the best I could. If the listener thinks that the text reads differently and it changes the story at all I'll happily re-record.

Also, the one attorney's name changes in the course of the article from "Buckley" to "Bulkley" but I decided to be consistent and keep it as Buckley, so that was a slight change from the text. There was also a sentence that repeated exactly, so I assumed that was a misprint and only read it the once.

Thanks!

Colleen
Hi Colleen, Glad to have you back! Thanks for your contribution to vol. 072! :) It's interesting to hear your personal judgement on the veracity of the crime report you're reading!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Colleen :D

Never come between a man and his wife,

PLOK

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Welcome to my part of Europe, i.e the Baltic basin 8-)

Here comes "History of the Northern Europe to the beginning of the Fourteenth Century" from "A history of all nations from the earliest times vol IX. The age of feudalism and theocracy"

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_northerneurope_prutz_pn81_128kb.mp3

Source link: https://archive.org/details/historyofallnati09wrig/page/364/mode/2up

Duration: 44:04

The Teutonic Order features heavily in the Polish history between the 13th and the early 16th century, usually as an adversary.

I saw the Marienburg Castle last year. It's huge. Behold https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Marienburg_Castle_in_Malbork

The Hanseatic League is also quite important although, surprsingly, we didn't learn about it in school :shock:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks much for the history of the Hanseatic League and Teutonic Order. Germany had quite the trading empire :D

Well read but a few errors noted:

1:32 the final triumph of the mission – you read first

22:12 But also had the exclusive appointment of their bishops and other officers - you said executive

42:19 In 1302 the Grand Master, Gottfried von Hohelohe, had already proposed, at a meeting of the General Chapter in Memel - forgot to read had already proposed

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Piotr and Craig, Thanks to both of you! :D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

soupy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:33 pm Thanks much for the history of the Hanseatic League and Teutonic Order. Germany had quite the trading empire :D

Well read but a few errors noted:

1:32 the final triumph of the mission – you read first

22:12 But also had the exclusive appointment of their bishops and other officers - you said executive

42:19 In 1302 the Grand Master, Gottfried von Hohelohe, had already proposed, at a meeting of the General Chapter in Memel - forgot to read had already proposed

Craig
Re-uploaded. New runtime 44:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_northerneurope_prutz_pn81_128kb.mp3
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Piotr :D

Very nice corrections. PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

How determined are you about the two-sections-per-volume rule? :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Piotrek81 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:27 am How determined are you about the two-sections-per-volume rule? :)
Hi Piotr,

Well, let me answer you this way. I'm pretty firmly set on the "2 selections per reader" rule, because prior to my establishing that rule, people were complaining that the volumes filled up too fast. However, at this point, vol. 72 has only 5 slots left; 5 is not divisible by 2--leaving an orphan slot. So, let's try this idea on a one-time basis: when we reach 19 FILLED slots in vol. 072, slot #20 will be open on a first come, first serve basis to anybody who wants to grab it.