ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 12:07 pm
btw while reading the dialogue with the parson, I got the distinct vibe from him that he may have been in love with Kate's mother...

Sonia
Had this been anytime but the Victorian Era, the Stage Directions probably would have revealed errant pants in his vestry and a vest in her pantry. :shock:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 12:07 pm
btw while reading the dialogue with the parson, I got the distinct vibe from him that he may have been in love with Kate's mother, but she chose Squire Verity and that is what made parson Dormer so bitter. Did you have that feeling as well or am I only romanticizing it all ? :|

Sonia
You shame me, Sonia. I must confess that I don't read the whole play, just my parts and other parts adjacent. So really I don't have any insight into the loves gained or lost here. Perhaps I would do better to read more of the play - but then I'd have less time for the fun part :0).
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 2:47 pmHad this been anytime but the Victorian Era, the Stage Directions probably would have revealed errant pants in his vestry and a vest in her pantry. :shock:
:lol: do you think such things up in sleepless nights, Chris ? :thumbs:

the pre-brekkie chuckle for today, thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 1:13 amYou shame me, Sonia. I must confess that I don't read the whole play, just my parts and other parts adjacent. So really I don't have any insight into the loves gained or lost here. Perhaps I would do better to read more of the play - but then I'd have less time for the fun part :0).
it is not really needed to read a whole play if you only have a smaller part. It would be advisable to read a bit from the other people sharing in your dialogue though, to get a feel on how you must react. But if you are "third butler" in Act 2, there is no point in reading more than the scene you are in. ;)

As Kate I had a dialogue with nearly everyone in this play, so naturally I read it all. And anyway, as DPL I usually end up hearing any scene at least 3 or 4 times, each time from a different voice angle and perspective. And I also read around the lines in case a reader could have emphasized more or differently to not sound too odd with the dialogue partner. I have heard many reader so often already that I can quite predict who will react how, so I can make informed guesses even without hearing them, but it's safer to check with the text. This gives me a lot of insight in a text. So there is no need to be ashamed, Adrian. You are doing a great job as a reader and voice actor. :thumbs:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I, in fact, make a point of NOT reading (more than I had to do to identify all the roles in setting up the play) before I record my lines; when I do record I usually just read the other character lines that come right before mine so I know what question I am answering, but little more. I want to be surprised at the various twists and turns of events just as the character would be in real life, and hopefully I will then react in their voice appropriately.

This works perfectly for characters such as Jolliffe in In Chancery who doesn't even know who he is, much less understand what is going on. Or any number of similar discombobulated roles that I have had under Mr Pinero's or Monsieur Moliere's hands or others.

But sometimes this goes very wrong - like discovering towards the end that I am not the romantic hero but instead the evil baddie, that thus I know what is really going on becuz I have set those nefarious actions in place to bring down someone. Then it is time to start over, recording a second time with a barely noticeable sneer in my voice and the knowing glee of a false friend showing through in all my supposed assistance....

All part of the fun.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kate Act 2...with quite a dramatic ending !

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_kate_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:36 min.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 6:43 am But sometimes this goes very wrong - like discovering towards the end that I am not the romantic hero but instead the evil baddie, that thus I know what is really going on becuz I have set those nefarious actions in place to bring down someone. Then it is time to start over, recording a second time with a barely noticeable sneer in my voice and the knowing glee of a false friend showing through in all my supposed assistance....

All part of the fun.

Thanks, Todd
I recall, without reading the Molière play first, my recording the part of a supposed gypsy (which in me comes out as heavily Slavonic for some reason :roll: ) and the character is first pitching unrequited woo to his lady love, then through some sense of debt/honour offering to hook some buddy of his up with her (causing her actress to comment "Hey! No pimping me out! I've got standards!"), and then finally finding out that the lady in question is in fact his long-lost sister.

During the reading of the role, I adapted and took all the setbacks, reversals and assorted stuff out of left field for my character in stride without faltering ... I don't know why that is easier to do in a heavy Russian accent, but for some reason it was :hmm: ... anyway, by carrying on regardless, I seemed to achieve a moral ambiguity that, upon listening to the completed play afterwards, seemed to be just what the role called for.

So in terms of not reading the whole play before recording a role, I see all accusations of slackness and raise you a declaration of serendipity. :mrgreen:

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pmDuring the reading of the role, I adapted and took all the setbacks, reversals and assorted stuff out of left field for my character in stride without faltering ... I don't know why that is easier to do in a heavy Russian accent, but for some reason it was :hmm: ... anyway, by carrying on regardless, I seemed to achieve a moral ambiguity that, upon listening to the completed play afterwards, seemed to be just what the role called for.
yes being very adaptable often is the best course forward. And for that particular role it really was a good choice.

And here is Kate's final act. She has her tearful moments but also her strong moments against the tide of bigotry. A strong woman, I liked to play her.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_kate_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 9:36 min.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
And here is Kate's final act. She has her tearful moments but also her strong moments against the tide of bigotry. A strong woman, I liked to play her.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_kate_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 9:36 min.

Sonia
Wow. Wonderfully done. PL OK all acts.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 6:08 pmThe local yokel weighs in.
:lol: "local yokel" is funny. And constantly repeating "hope it'll make no difference" sounded like the refrain of a song to me in the end. A funny chap. But if this is junior, I'm glad I didn't have to meet with senior. :mrgreen:

All PL ok, Chris, thanks !

Sonia