COMPLETE[PLAY]The Squire by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
fsurget

Post by fsurget »

Happy Loads of fun and love for this new year to you all!

May I claim the Shabby Person? I'd love to buttermilk it a lil' ;)

Frédéric
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

fsurget wrote: January 1st, 2020, 5:20 am Happy Loads of fun and love for this new year to you all!

:lol: I'm happy to see you back in the saddle Frédéric. Missed you around here. And yes, you'll get buttermilk.

Thanks for claiming. Have fun being shabby.

Todd: does the shabby person have any actual lines in act 3 ? :hmm: do you want him to read the villagers lines ? I'm not sure the journalist would feel included into that community. What did you have in mind ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 1st, 2020, 5:33 am
fsurget wrote: January 1st, 2020, 5:20 am Happy Loads of fun and love for this new year to you all!

:lol: I'm happy to see you back in the saddle Frédéric. Missed you around here. And yes, you'll get buttermilk.

Thanks for claiming. Have fun being shabby.

Todd: does the shabby person have any actual lines in act 3 ? :hmm: do you want him to read the villagers lines ? I'm not sure the journalist would feel included into that community. What did you have in mind ?

Sonia
"The Representative of the Pagley Mercury" is called the Shabby Person in the Act 1 script for reasons that only Mr Pinero knows. And as you suggest, he would not hobnob with the villages in Act 3.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 1st, 2020, 6:09 amAnd as you suggest, he would not hobnob with the villages in Act 3.
so do we remove him from Act 3 ? :hmm: I don't think I saw any lines attributed to him alone.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 1st, 2020, 7:46 am
ToddHW wrote: January 1st, 2020, 6:09 amAnd as you suggest, he would not hobnob with the villages in Act 3.
so do we remove him from Act 3 ? :hmm: I don't think I saw any lines attributed to him alone.

Sonia
You are right. I saw his entrance in act 3 in the stage directions, but I see now that he is then taken off before speaking. I fixed the MW.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: December 31st, 2019, 8:54 amIzod Haggerston parts, ready for PL:
urgh, Izod is such a sleazybag :? It's scary how well you managed to play him, Adrian :lol: the voice is excellent, I hope you didn't ruin your vocal chords in the process. (Usually we have Chris here for that sort of rasp ;) )

It's all perfectly acted out, and I can right imagine your dialogue with Linda already. She is also excellent at sleaze-bagging :mrgreen: (listen to The Cabinet Minister to get a glimpse of what I mean)

Acts 2 and 3 are already PL ok.

I have two small notes for Act 1 though:

> at 0:43: "Chris, (looking round) Wait here and I'll bring you a drink, (she crosses to L.)" - I am fairly sure this is Christie talking, only there is a typo (comma instead of full stop after Chris) Izod asks for the drink and Christie says she will bring it to him. So you can delete this whole line

> at about 2:28: missed line: (counting money) "Five bob."

thanks, Adrian, awesome performance. The perfect character we love to hate. 8-)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:19 am
> at 0:43: "Chris, (looking round) Wait here and I'll bring you a drink, (she crosses to L.)" - I am fairly sure this is Christie talking, only there is a typo (comma instead of full stop after Chris) Izod asks for the drink and Christie says she will bring it to him. So you can delete this whole line

> at about 2:28: missed line: (counting money) "Five bob."

Sonia
Thanks for your kind words, Sonia. I had a lot of fun reading that. And then I went straight on to read Lord Leadenhall in Rocket. I kept on finding I wanted to return to the Izod voice - it was so attractive in an unattractive sort of way. Oh, and I apologize in advance for the Adraste.

I fixed up the errors. I'd noted the Chris, line, but was unsure what to do about it. Anyhow, snip and it's now on the cutting room floor.

Best Regards and Happy New Year,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: January 1st, 2020, 10:35 amThanks for your kind words, Sonia. I had a lot of fun reading that. And then I went straight on to read Lord Leadenhall in Rocket. I kept on finding I wanted to return to the Izod voice - it was so attractive in an unattractive sort of way.
I totally understand that urge. I love doing such rough voices as well. Sometimes it feels like my vocal chords are bleeding :lol:
Oh, and I apologize in advance for the Adraste.
didn't get to that one yet...still waiting for my mail order on asbestos earphones to arrive :mrgreen:
I fixed up the errors. I'd noted the Chris, line, but was unsure what to do about it. Anyhow, snip and it's now on the cutting room floor.
still one tiny thing (sorry I wasn't precise enough before)

> at 0:43: the word "Chris" is still at the end of your sentence. That should go to. It's not something Izod says but the start of Christiana's speech

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:55 am Gunnion act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_gunnion_2.mp3
:lol: simply delicious, now this is how I pictured Gunnion, squalling and bawling all the time, maybe still a bit in his cups ;) you have the perfect pitch on that character, Alan :thumbs:

Careful, you got carried away a bit, the file is over 92 dB :mrgreen: but no significant clippings I could detect, so all is well. Todd may tune it down at some spots maybe. I'll make a note. But I got the feeling you were really in character here. Brilliant.

Thank you. PL ok. Oh and I didn't hear the nasty buzzing tone anymore, so you probably found the problem. :thumbs:

Sonia
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: January 1st, 2020, 11:29 am
still one tiny thing (sorry I wasn't precise enough before)

> at 0:43: the word "Chris" is still at the end of your sentence. That should go to. It's not something Izod says but the start of Christiana's speech

Sonia
Hello Sonia, no - your instructions were not at fault. I've cut the offending word in this version:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_izodhaggerston_1_128kb.mp3

Have some RL work to do now, so less activity from me on LV in the next few weeks.

Best,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: January 1st, 2020, 11:29 am the word "Chris" is still at the end of your sentence. That should go...

Sonia

Hey!!!

:lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 12:53 am I've cut the offending word in this version:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_izodhaggerston_1_128kb.mp3
thank you, now finally PL ok ;)

and I also finally finished my first act for Kate. It's a bigger role than I expected and it's all very emotional. But a strong character. I liked to work on her. :9:

Todd I hope this is what you had in mind:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/squire_kate_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 16:45 min.

btw while reading the dialogue with the parson, I got the distinct vibe from him that he may have been in love with Kate's mother, but she chose Squire Verity and that is what made parson Dormer so bitter. Did you have that feeling as well or am I only romanticizing it all ? :|

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I'll take Woman's Voice ... seems like a match. :wink:
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.