[COMPLETE][Short stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 01 October 1895 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: December 18th, 2019, 11:12 amI look forward to what might be in store in the next issues! :shock:
:9: we'll meet again in the next one.

Sonia
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Kitty,
I would like to do Chapter 6.
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

I'd like to do section 4, please.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote: December 18th, 2019, 8:32 pm I would like to do Chapter 6.
Hi Jay ! cool to have you read in this project, welcome aboard. The section is reserved for you. Thank you :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 10:03 pmI'd like to do section 4, please.
hello Julie, and welcome to the project. I see you already did a test and one weekly poem, so you know the ropes a bit already. All the important info for this project you can find in the first post.

I had a listen to your test file and there is quite a high level of background noise, which you may consider cleaning in your "official" recordings, to make the audio sound a bit more agreeable to the ear.

Since you are using Audacity, I can recommend the following step-by-step:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file is a great sample of "pure noise")
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

You will hear that this will make a difference. 8-)

Section 4 is now reserved for you, have fun ! And thank you for claiming.

Sonia
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Sonia,
Here is section 6. I hope I got it okay. I found a lot like doing 15 minutes of tongue twisters. Still it was good practice.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0101oct1895_6_various_128kb.mp3
Time 17:03
Let me know of any changes you require.
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 10:36 pmHere is section 6. I hope I got it okay. I found a lot like doing 15 minutes of tongue twisters. Still it was good practice.
wow, I was riveted to my seat listening to the scene near the trap-pit. :shock: Thinking this magazine may be a "horror" collection, it might well have turned out gruesome for either child or man. :? To my relief it was a happy ending after all (except for the orang-outan, of course, which is bad enough).

Absolutely wonderfully narrated, Jay, I really enjoyed every minute of it. :9: And I did not notice you struggle with tongue-twisters, in fact I think you dealt with all the foreign words quite admirably. :thumbs:

I can mark it PL ok straight away.

If I had to mention some tiny thing, I think the pause between the disclaimer and the title of the story is a bit too long (at 0:39) anything over 2 seconds feels a bit long for a listener in my opinion. 1.5 seconds are fully enough to make a good break. But since there are no other textual errors, there is no need to re-upload it now. Maybe only consider it for a next reading. :)

Thank you so much for this great reading. And merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

Sonia
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

I don't know why Section 1 is still unclaimed, but I'd like to give it a go!

Jim G.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jfgallagher wrote: December 24th, 2019, 11:13 am I don't know why Section 1 is still unclaimed, but I'd like to give it a go!
hey Jim, long time not seen :) thank you for participating in this project. Looking forward to your reading. Are you aware yours will be the first voice to be heard in this new magazine series :9: (no pressure of course :mrgreen: )

I hope you have fun.

And that makes us fully claimed and I move us over to readers found.

Merry Christmas to all !

Sonia
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Here is Section 1 for PL. I hope that it is a suitable opening for the volume and doesn't scare anyone away!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0101oct1895_1_various_128kb.mp3
recording time 10:00

Thanks!

Jim G.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jfgallagher wrote: December 28th, 2019, 1:45 pmHere is Section 1 for PL. I hope that it is a suitable opening for the volume and doesn't scare anyone away!
It is a very worthy beginning of the series, Jim. :thumbs: And I think your deep voice and the perfect accent and voices you're doing in direct speech is totally fitting for the wild west setting of the story. Couldn't have chosen a better story to display your narrative skill. :)

All PL ok. The ending was a bit tragic, but I suspect the stories that make it into this magazine are all of such a genre. 8-) In any case, I extremely enjoyed listening to it.

Thank you, and maybe I'll hear you again in one of the following editions. :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 30th, 2019, 11:13 amHere is Section 2. Length 10:22
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0101oct1895_2_various_128kb.mp3
thank you so much, Todd. This was wonderfully narrated, but oh...I felt so squeamish when they mentioned the cutting of the three fingers. :? Such things make me quite faint, even to listen to. My imagination is probably too vivid.

And the ending was no big surprise but still a delicious horror-moment. 8-) I can see this easily as a short episode of twilight zone or some such series.

Totally PL ok. :thumbs: Thanks ! So far I enjoyed all the stories in here. :9:

Sonia
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Kitty wrote: December 29th, 2019, 2:51 am
jfgallagher wrote: December 28th, 2019, 1:45 pmHere is Section 1 for PL. I hope that it is a suitable opening for the volume and doesn't scare anyone away!
It is a very worthy beginning of the series, Jim. :thumbs: And I think your deep voice and the perfect accent and voices you're doing in direct speech is totally fitting for the wild west setting of the story. Couldn't have chosen a better story to display your narrative skill. :)

All PL ok. The ending was a bit tragic, but I suspect the stories that make it into this magazine are all of such a genre. 8-) In any case, I extremely enjoyed listening to it.

Thank you, and maybe I'll hear you again in one of the following editions. :9:

Sonia
Thanks Sonia. I just imagined that an old whiskey-drinking, cigar smoking, former miner 49'er, would have to sound a bit gravelly...so I let my inner "Sam Elliot" take the part!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jfgallagher wrote: December 30th, 2019, 3:46 pmI let my inner "Sam Elliot" take the part!
:lol: that was a great idea :thumbs:

have a good end of year celebration, all of you !!!

Sonia