COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Red Reign: The True Story of an Adventurous Year in Russia, by Kellogg Durland-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

LCaulkins wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 10:04 am
Hi, Courtney!

Thanks so much for helping with this project. :)

Section 3 has one repeat at 9:42 and 9:46 of "The crowd laughed and even jeered as he dragged himself off"
Ah shucks, I missed one. Should be fixed now! (14:43)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_03_durland_128kb.mp3
Courtney Miller
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

cmiller27 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 8:58 pm
Ah shucks, I missed one. Should be fixed now! (14:43)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_03_durland_128kb.mp3
Thanks! All PL OK now :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

Courtney Miller
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you! :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
ecr24

Post by ecr24 »

LCaulkins wrote: December 15th, 2019, 2:11 pm I will DPL, except the chapters I record (for which I will advertise when necessary).

Also, I am dedicated to keeping this project from taking longer than a year.

Hi there,

I saw the message about needing proof-listeners for this project, and I would be interested in doing this!

Thank you!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ecr24 wrote: April 10th, 2020, 8:47 am
LCaulkins wrote: December 15th, 2019, 2:11 pm I will DPL, except the chapters I record (for which I will advertise when necessary).

Hi there,

I saw the message about needing proof-listeners for this project, and I would be interested in doing this!

Thank you!
That would be great, thank you.

Oh! Watch the intros, as the section numbers at the very beginning (and ending) are different from the chapter/part portion at the end of the intros.

Also, we're not reading the captions at the beginning of each chapter. :)
Last edited by LCaulkins on April 10th, 2020, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey, MaryAnn, can you give ecr24 DPL access to the MW? thanks :)
~Lynette * -
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Lizzie,
I've added you as DPL to this project. You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

You've now got a catalog page where you can see the status of sections in the projects you are DPL for (just click the "reader section detail" and you'll see a page for "Pl view"): https://librivox.org/reader/14074. I can change the name you appear under in the catalog if you would like - some people use their forum name, some their real name. It's up to you.

This project has "standard" proof listening. There's guidance on what that means here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

If you have any questions please ask and welcome aboard!

MaryAnn
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

I can do 29 and 30
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks, Rita!
~Lynette * -
ecr24

Post by ecr24 »

LCaulkins wrote: April 10th, 2020, 9:13 am
ecr24 wrote: April 10th, 2020, 8:47 am

Hi there,

Thank you!
That would be great, thank you.

Oh! Watch the intros, as the section numbers at the very beginning (and ending) are different from the chapter/part portion at the end of the intros.

Also, we're not reading the captions at the beginning of each chapter. :)

Thank you for making me a DPL for this project :)

I saw on the catalog that some sections were ready to go for proof-listening- would you like me to start on those?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ecr24 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:26 am
Thank you for making me a DPL for this project :)

I saw on the catalog that some sections were ready to go for proof-listening- would you like me to start on those?
Sure! I had intended to do them myself, and then our county begged for sewists to make 6000 masks from their pattern, as they could only source medical grade filters for all our first responders. So I've been mostly working on those these days.

Just dive right in - you can work from top to bottom for all the "Ready for PL" sections.

If you notice something that needs to be fixed, like the way the intro was done, or a repeated phrase, jot down the time stamp of where it occurs so you can leave a note for the reader of what needs to be edited. I've found it works best to find the post where the reader put that section's link up and quote the post, so that the reader gets a notification and they see the PL notes for their section very easily.

Don't forget to run the section through Checker so you know if it has any technical issues. Sometimes a setting can get bumped on the recording software, and even experienced readers might accidentally submit a file that has a wrong spec, or the volume is outside of our range.

For me, I do find it much better to download the section and PL it with it open in my Audacity (rather than just playing it straight from the Magic Window link), so I can zoom in to the point where I can easily see the half-seconds marks if I need to give someone a time stamp. Then I delete the file from my computer when I've listened to it.

Don't worry about accents or pronunciations that are different from what you're used to. We don't care about style, pacing, etc., unless a reader specifically asks us for feedback about things like that. I have found that most readers appreciate being told about things like a sudden extreme change in volume that makes you adjust your controls.

We do list repeats, omited portions, super long pauses (like 3 or 4 seconds). I noted in the recording directions that we're not reading the little table of contents at the beginning of each chapter, so if someone reads those in, note the time of beginning/ending, and ask them to remove it.

After you have listened to a section, you get to change the designation for that section to either "PL OK" or "see PL Notes". If any edits were necessary, when a reader posts the fixed file, I'll put that in the MW and mark it "Read for Spot PL". You won't need to listen to that entire section again - just go to the relevant time points and listen for the correction area. :)

Thanks again for helping. Ask any questions if I've left you confused - here or in a PM. (Oh, by the way, the white scrolling portion inside the first post of a project is called the "Magic Window" or MW - the Catalog is the permanent public listing of all our audiobooks and readers.)
~Lynette * -
v323838

Post by v323838 »

Hello, I would like to sign up to read sections 31 and 32. Thank you. Michael