COMPLETE[PLAY]The Torch-Bearers by George Kelly - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
larryhayes7

Post by larryhayes7 »

I will have my 2 small inserts later this evening
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hurray! I'm sure it will be well worth the wait!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We're still waiting for Teddy as well.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Whoops, I wasn't paying attention to who was posting! :oops:

(I was distracted... Checking LV at work... Shame on me!)
larryhayes7

Post by larryhayes7 »

I was wondering why I got a reply like that :lol: Thank you for the shame on me :D

"Quick to listen, slow to speak"

Here are my two very short lines that were missed

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/torchbearers_hossefrosse_append_1_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I already downloaded and listened so I can cut them into the master file. PL OK. (Not in the MW - didn't bother.)

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

larryhayes7 wrote: June 1st, 2020, 12:03 pm This is the first dramatic role that I have done that was not written up in Google Docs with colored formatting. Never missed any done that way. They seem too easy to miss just in straight text and I was searing on my character name and they still missed several. The Google Docs method makes it so much easier for me to follow. :oops:
I prefer not to use the Google docs approach. First off, I don't know how to do it. Second, not all of us can distinguish the colors in the color coding.

But most of all becuz it is another potential source of error in transcribing from old script document to reader source file. I sometimes see mis-labeled lines, missing lines, typos, and wrongly color-coded lines in the Google docs. Gutenberg is not always perfect, but nearly so, and is a good compromise compared with using the actual scanned script most of the time - though Archive is improving their search capabilities to actually locate words on the scanned pages.

(And of course, even the published scripts that are scanned sometimes have printer errors in them too....)

Thanks, Todd
larryhayes7

Post by larryhayes7 »

Something else to consider: Not pointing fingers but wouldn't it be good if everyone pronounced all the character names the same. It would also be pleasing to all the listeners. Just something to consider going forward. I know some of the dramatic plays I have been in before have made either a file or a page on how to pronounce the names.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I also do not tell people how to pronounce names - so long as they are consistent within their file. I consider the differences to be just locational or educational accents. Or maybe intentional affectations, perhaps as words of endearment or to poke fun at someone, and thus part of the reader's chosen characterization of their part. (I had one play where the main character had tried to posh-ify their life and thus also their name - I think it was "something-Smythe" with the long "I" sound for the "y". Another character knew them from far their past, and that reader just called them "smith", which seemed like a deliberate snub to their attempt at poshness.)

For example in this play, someone might pronounce Hossefrosse without the ending "e" sounds: Hoss-fross. Or maybe with short "e" sounds that sounds more like it is spelt. Or maybe with long "e" sounds - perhaps to pick on him: hossy-frossy. (I can certainly picture Nelly doing this.) And then, are the "o" sounds short or long? Which syllable is accented, etc. Lottsa options.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: June 4th, 2020, 11:50 am For example in this play, someone might pronounce Hossefrosse without the ending "e" sounds: Hoss-fross. Or maybe with short "e" sounds that sounds more like it is spelt. Or maybe with long "e" sounds - perhaps to pick on him: hossy-frossy. (I can certainly picture Nelly doing this.) And then, are the "o" sounds short or long? Which syllable is accented, etc. Lottsa options.

Thanks, Todd
And I believe I heard all of these options while listening to our characters. :wink:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great! Soon as this is PL'd, I can finish assembly and we'll finish this play!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll put it at the top of my priorities tomorrow. It's getting late for tonight.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Drew, I've just had a listen to both of these. There are some corrections to be made on both before you're quite finished. Both of them are very quiet, overall, except for a few lines which are quite loud. :hmm: I'm not sure what is causing that discrepancy, but it's something you should watch out for. In act 2, some of them are so loud that they are clipped, meaning there is some distortion that can't be fixed with editing. It would sound better to re-record them, but that is only optional, since they're still understandable.

Act 1:

Voice credit at the beginning is cut off. File starts with "Drew Starmer."
Repeated line: "Oh, alright." is present at 1:19 AND at 1:28. The second one is much louder. Please cut one of these.

Act 2:

0:25 Several lines missing. (I think it's because there are two "All right." lines, and you accidentally skipped to the second one.)
  • No, sir.
  • No, sir.
  • No, sir.
  • Hello?
  • All right.
2:50 OPTIONAL Re-record this clipped line: "There’s none on there!"
3:00 OPTIONAL Re-record this clipped line: "Give him a lead-pencil, Ralph!"