COMPLETE[PLAY]The Conscious Lovers by Steele - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Guess I'm glad that I am not the subject of your scorn - at least in this play.
Mrs. Seal. Well! however, I'm glad the girl's disposed of, anyway.
Not exactly the most motherly of affections.... You'd drown in a good rainstorm what with your nose so high up in the air!

All PL OK.

Thanks, Todd
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

I see that some of the stage directions follow rather then precede the speech they relate to. Would it help in editing if I read those, where relevant, as if they appeared at the start? For example, I could read

Humph. I know he has a mind to come into that particular. [Aside

as

“Humphrey: Aside”
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MichaelMaggs wrote: December 21st, 2019, 10:31 amI see that some of the stage directions follow rather then precede the speech they relate to. Would it help in editing if I read those, where relevant, as if they appeared at the start? For example, I could read

Humph. I know he has a mind to come into that particular. [Aside
as
“Humphrey: Aside”
yes indeed, that is how it should be done. The old scripts very often have a confusing way of putting the "aside" at the end of the line (but not always !) so the narrator has to stay vigilant and ponder each time where it fits best. I'll also keep an eye out for those to catch any errors in the PL-phase.

Thank you for asking :)

Sonia
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Last edited by Algy Pug on December 26th, 2019, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: December 26th, 2019, 5:34 pmReadings for Mr Sealand:
brilliant acting, Algy :clap: and I think your voice perfectly fits the occasion for Mr Sealand's character. I enjoyed this very much. A pity Mr and Mrs Sealand didn't really have a dialogue to speak of :lol: They probably have nothing to say to each other.

Act 4 is already PL ok.

For Act 5, could you make a few small corrections please:

> at about 1:14: four quotes missing from scene 2, which I then found at the end of the file starting from 9:18. Could you maybe shift them to the correct spot, to make it easier for Todd ? (starting from "Oh! then, she is within, I find, though you dare not say so." till the end "Sir, I'll wait upon you.")

> at 7:07: between "of all his virtues waits on his acceptance" and "My dearest Indiana!" - could you leave a bit more pause, to edit the stage directions in between ?

thanks

Sonia
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thanks Sonya

Act 5 for Sealand corrected and reuploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/consciouslovers_sealand_5_128kb.mp3
9:58

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: December 27th, 2019, 8:29 am Act 5 for Sealand corrected and reuploaded:
thanks, Algy, now perfectly PL ok :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Madam,

Sir John awaits his PL in the Drawing Room.

Thank you, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 31st, 2019, 5:42 amSir John awaits his PL in the Drawing Room.
and Sir John is perfectly PL ok from start to finish (have a cognac, will you)

it was a good role, not the duped father for once but a perfectly sober and sound character. Lovely characterized, Todd, really enjoyed it. :thumbs:

Thanks

Sonia
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Here's the narrator for act 1. The recording length is 18:17, of which 14:40 is the introductory material, and only 3:37 the actual stage directions!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/consciouslovers_narrator_1_128kb.mp3

This is what Todd has asked for the introductory text:
Please read all text from the stuff after the title, the letter to the king, the preface, the prologue, and the dramatis personnae.
I really like the comparison to Terence's Andria - which we recorded earlier this year
I know that we don't normally include any footnotes, but on the basis that most people won't follow the Latin, I've also read the translation. You can chop that if you don't need it.

Todd, if you want to put the introduction into a separate track from act 1 itself (to save listeners having to listen all the way through the long - but cringingly funny - royal dedication, I can if you want upload a short track with something like "Introductory material to The Conscious Lovers by .. This is a Librivox ... ".

As discussed, in several places I've moved the stage direction from the end to the beginning of a speech so that it will make more sense when heard. There may be several ways of editing this, so just let me know if you need anything extra once you get going with it.

It's quite a change from the Pinero to have a playwright who opens act 1 with the laconic words "Scene: London". :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I will try to keep all the intro material with the act if I can - don't want listeners to skip all that fun stuff.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MichaelMaggs wrote: January 13th, 2020, 2:15 pmHere's the narrator for act 1. The recording length is 18:17, of which 14:40 is the introductory material, and only 3:37 the actual stage directions!
yes compared to Pinero, Steele is rather economizing with stage directions :lol:

great job on the lengthy introduction, it was interesting to listen to. :9:

I have only a few small notes to make:

> from 12:25-14:40: Prologue might have been read by the character of Myrtle as it was specified that Mr Wilks played Myrtle in this play. :hmm:
Todd: did you wish the narrator to do this instead ? Usually we have the actor reading those parts. The epilogue was also read by Indiana here. Of course now that Michael did such a great job of it, it would be a shame to waste it. Unless he wants to recycle this part for the monthly poetry collection. Since it's written in verse it will well get accepted there with open arms. 8-)

> at about 16:43: missed line: "sings". Since there only a few words of the song included, I suspect that Tomas will only start the beginning in a sing-song and then it would be nice to include the stage directions to specifiy that he goes on singing

> at 17:48: "aside to Sir John" – here you can cut out "Humphrey" as it's not the first sentence that is the aside

apart from this one, you did a really great job in getting all the asides correctly :thumbs: thanks so much

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 14th, 2020, 4:47 am
> from 12:25-14:40: Prologue might have been read by the character of Myrtle as it was specified that Mr Wilks played Myrtle in this play. :hmm:
Todd: did you wish the narrator to do this instead ? Usually we have the actor reading those parts. The epilogue was also read by Indiana here. Of course now that Michael did such a great job of it, it would be a shame to waste it. Unless he wants to recycle this part for the monthly poetry collection. Since it's written in verse it will well get accepted there with open arms. 8-)

Sonia
I think the stage direction person deserves a chance to shine (they don't exist as a speaking role in (most) stage performances, of course, so they get no chance then) and having prologue/epilogue here in their voice is fine. But if the associated readers get there first, then "better luck next time".

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 14th, 2020, 5:39 amI think the stage direction person deserves a chance to shine (they don't exist as a speaking role in (most) stage performances, of course, so they get no chance then) and having prologue/epilogue here in their voice is fine.
ok so, Michael, the prologue is fine to leave in :) It was excellently narrated, so that's a bonus. :9:

Sonia