[COMPLETE] Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps by Johanna Spyri - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 11th, 2019, 8:06 am

Thanks, Rosebud -- Feedback is always appreciated and positive feedback is especially nice. A lot of the words, I'll check on youtube for pronunciations, but sometimes come up empty (like Schwarzelli, but Schwarz was readily found). Some have more than one pronunciation (like Gemmi), but I try to lean to the German pronunciation as Spyri wrote her stories in German. But if you think anything is amiss, let me know.. I can correct it.

Thanks to both Rosebud and Ann -- I found the setting for background noise. Good to know.

Anita

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 11th, 2019, 9:17 am

Ah! No wonder your pronunciations flow better than what I’d stumbled through with! :thumbs:
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 13th, 2019, 9:57 am

Uploaded Chapter 3 -- Ready for PL!

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 15th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Anitazz wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 9:57 am
Uploaded Chapter 3 -- Ready for PL!
PL OK :thumbs:

I tend to get so caught up in the story that I wonder afterwards if I missed something. :lol: I’m not concerned though, because if there is something, I do notice the break in the flow. You had me captivated!
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 17th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Chapter 4 is uploaded and ready for you, Rosebud!

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 19th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Anitazz wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:53 pm
Chapter 4 is uploaded and ready for you, Rosebud!
PL OK :clap:

Did you wonder too if that last sentence contained a typo? “A few days ago later...” :hmm: But all of the versions I could find had it like that, so who am I to say it’s incorrect?!

Another great recording!! :)
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 20th, 2019, 10:16 am

I just figured that lost something in the translation. Wait for Chapter 5... there's a doozy of a sentence structure that makes no sense to me whatsoever, but I dug up a scanned copy of the actual book and it matches exactly. It's on page 98:
"When the latter had questioned the boy sufficiently about the trip, he found it wise for Vinzi to have supper and immediately go to bed, as he was sure to be tired from the long waken till his fellow-traveller firmly shook him the next morning. " All I could say was, "huh?"

Anyways, Chapter 5 is almost ready. This is a very nicely written story, Rosebud! Thanks for reaching out to me as it may have been a while before I attempted a solo.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 20th, 2019, 10:34 am

Ah! I thought I'd seen another 'typo' when I was reading it! Hmm... Wonder what got missed in the translation? That's too bad, we should have been there to proofread for Elisabeth, shouldn't we?! :lol:

A later one in the book, I figured out how to mark to save the spot. Wonder if you'd like to check that too? That at least can sound almost normal. Pg 286- "From a low plaint it swelled to a tremendous wail, is if a chorus of despairing creatures were cast down by sorrow and contrition."
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 20th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Oh, I'll read that "as if". Even real books have typos. If you want me to correct either of the others, let me know. I'm not sure that the "ago" one needs to be fixed... it almost sounds possible. Maybe the one in chapter 5 should be...

When the latter had questioned the boy sufficiently about the trip, he found it wise for Vinzi to have supper and immediately go to bed, as he was sure to be tired from the long walk. Vinzi fell asleep and did not waken till his fellow-traveller firmly shook him the next morning. Too much of a correction?

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 20th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Yes, leave the ‘ago’ as you had it. Usually the rule is to strictly read what’s in the text. So I’d suggest if you’re ready to record that section before we hear from Ann, go ahead and put it in with enough pause before and after to make a cut easy if it should be removed. Your addition would be what makes sense in context.
~Rosebud

My DPL List

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 21st, 2019, 4:31 pm

Yes, normally we are to read the text as it is written. But, if it is an obvious typo, and those are very common in PG texts, you can "fix" it.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 24th, 2019, 9:31 am

Well, as I found a copy of the scanned book, the words didn't change, so rather than guess what Johanna had in mind, I will leave the text as is (for the rather lengthy sentence). I'd have to put in 2 partial sentences not just a phrase or word. I'm sure any listener, after they say "huh?", will know what was going on.

So, I think that leaves "is if" which I will change to "as if" when I get there.

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 26th, 2019, 9:58 am

Chapter 5 uploaded and ready for PL. (Couldn't quite finish before the holiday after all).

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 28th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Anitazz wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 9:58 am
Chapter 5 uploaded and ready for PL. (Couldn't quite finish before the holiday after all).
PL OK :thumbs:

That’s fine! I’ll take them as they come! :wink:
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 31st, 2019, 1:34 pm

Happy New Year! (Lots of new material in the public domain tomorrow!)

Chapter 6 is uploaded and ready for PL. The middle of the book falls somewhere in this chapter. Yay!