[COMPLETE] Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps by Johanna Spyri - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 3rd, 2019, 12:26 pm

Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps by Johanna Spyri (1827 - 1901). Translated by Elisabeth P. Stork (1888 - 1968)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/vinzi-a-story-of-the-swiss-alps-by-johanna-spyri/

At 12 years old, Vinzi's only desire is to study his beloved music. But his father wants to make a farmer of him, and is displeased whenever he finds Vinzi yielding to his musical inclination. Mother and sister look on wistfully as circumstances go beyond their control, but throughout, they trust to the protection of their Father in Heaven.

This is another book by Johanna Spyri, author of Heidi. Here too, against the backdrop of the beautiful Swiss alps, she intertwines love, sincerity, and the freshness of youth to present a captivating story for young and old alike. (Rosebud)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59941
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: 27awBIR5

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Johanna Spyri) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_Spyri

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1923
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Anita Sloma-Martinez Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: music, family, trust in god, swiss alps

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps, by Johanna Spyri. Translated by Elisabeth P. Stork [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps by Johanna Spyri. Translated by Elisabeth P. Stork. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps, by Johanna Spyri. Translated by Elisabeth P. Stork."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename vinzi_##_spyri_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. vinzi_01_spyri_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 3rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

Soloist: Anita (Anitazz)
DPL: Rosebud

Kevin/Ann/Rosebud: I think this is right. I didn't know how to answer the question on whether there was a separate file for the forward. I answered "no", but a forward is being included and will be it's own section. Please let me know if I need to make any corrections. Should I try to put together the MW?
Anita

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 3rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

Anitazz wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:34 pm
Soloist: Anita (Anitazz)
DPL: Rosebud

Kevin/Ann/Rosebud: I think this is right. I didn't know how to answer the question on whether there was a separate file for the forward. I answered "no", but a forward is being included and will be it's own section. Please let me know if I need to make any corrections. Should I try to put together the MW?
Anita
By answering 'yes' to "Is there a separate forward?" the MC knows to create a Section 00. If icequeen picks this project up, she will know what to do.

The nice thing about being a soloist is that you don't need to list word counts. I don't know if the work has chapter titles, but I would fill these in as soon as a MW is created by the MC. It keeps one focused, I think, and helps avoid mistakes

I think it's just a matter of waiting now.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 3rd, 2019, 1:17 pm

Good job, Anita! :) Looking forward to the project!

Yes, the 11 chapters do have titles.
~Rosebud

My DPL List

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 3rd, 2019, 1:41 pm

Yes! The first post is perfect! Great job! Now comes the homework. What I need for you to do, Anita, is to get into the MW for the first time. Here is this doc, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ , which tell you what to do. Let me know when you have accessed your MW, or are having any problems. If there are any problems, they are very easy to solve.

If you look at your original post, I have done what Rosebud has done in the first thread. I have shortened the file name down to vinzi_##, this will make your life infinitely easier. What the template generator spits out is not required to be used in that way. I have seen file names that are ten miles long, because the full title is ten miles long. But, those file names can be modified to something much more user friendly. I have also changed the first section to a 0 section for the forward. Normally, yes, you should click the yes if you are including the preface/forward, but it is super easy for me to fix so not a big deal. You will find that as a soloist, the ways things are done is not as strict as a group project. You just need to be consistent through the whole project.

But, on with your homework, it should be an easy assignment. Once that is done, then you get to fill in your MW.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 3rd, 2019, 2:13 pm

Ok -- I am in the MW. ..... also went ahead and entered the chapters and assigned myself.

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 3rd, 2019, 4:16 pm

Very nice! You even caught me on the one thing I did not do, sweet! I think we are safe to move on to Going Solo!
Ann

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 3rd, 2019, 4:54 pm

:clap: You’re good at this! That was a short time for the launch pad! :)
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 3rd, 2019, 4:59 pm

Probably my IT background helped a bit, though the instructions are pretty clear.... Might as well ask my next question: When I am ready to upload a reading, do I do it the "classic" way? Upload and post info in the thread, or am I supposed to update the MW directly. If the latter, is there anything magical about doing that? Thanks!
Anita

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 3rd, 2019, 5:09 pm

Ann can tell you how to do it, but to answer your direct question- yes, you do the latter. There will be 3 columns for you to operate each time: the duration, the file link, and the PL status. Then if you just post in the thread that you’ve uploaded something, I’ll be alerted to it.
~Rosebud

My DPL List

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 3rd, 2019, 10:27 pm

Exactly what Rosebud said! The one thing you don't have to do anymore is to use the normal login information that you would have used as a normal reader. You can access the uploader through the workflow system. That first page has the button that will take you directly to the uploader itself. Upload your file to my folder, copy the link, then come here to your MW. Once you are in your MW, double click on the first box under the column "Listen URL." A box will open up inside that box, right click to paste the link and press Enter. Your link will appear in the box and there will be a clickable "Link" that shows up on the right side of the section. Also, if you could put the run time for that section in the "Notes" box for that section, that will be very helpful to me. Just like in group projects, we need those times to make sure that the internet didn't eat the tail off a file. Once you do that, then post to alert Rosebud that there is a section ready for her to listen to. I will also check this thread at least once a day, just to make sure things are running smoothly. You're doing great so far!
Ann

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 4th, 2019, 9:24 am

okee-dokee.... Foreward is ready for PL.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 4th, 2019, 2:28 pm

:clap: We need Phil's dancing penguin for your quick work! I'll Pl as soon as I dare get to it! :wink:
~Rosebud

My DPL List

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 4th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Anitazz wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 9:24 am
PL OK :clap:

I had a question on the spelling... I thought it was written as Foreword in the book? Not a big deal, just wondered. :)
~Rosebud

My DPL List

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » December 5th, 2019, 8:40 am

RSlabaugh wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 8:07 pm
Anitazz wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 9:24 am
PL OK :clap:

I had a question on the spelling... I thought it was written as Foreword in the book? Not a big deal, just wondered. :)
Sheeesh!!! Believe it or not, that's the second correction to "Foreword" I needed to make! What gets me is that I don't think I ever really noticed that the foreword (of a book) ended in "word".... sometimes words just make so much sense. (This bugs me, my obliviousness, because I'm really pretty good at spotting those things... I love words!) Thanks for pointing it out... I just learned something new!