Complete-[Politcs/Philosophy]Enquiry Concerning Political Justice Vol1-William Godwin-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Stinebirch,
Your test has been okayed. Section 41 is yours. This is the last chapter so it will have the extended ending script saying that it is the end of the book. The details are in the opening post. How would you like your name to appear in the catalog?
Thanks for your claim.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
stinebirch

Post by stinebirch »

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you, Stinebirch!
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

stinebirch wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:03 pm section 41

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_41_128kb.mp3

37:27
Preliminary partial PL Notes

Thanks, Austin.
I'll PL your file within 48 hours, but I have already noticed a couple of things that will need to be fixed:
(1) the file name is incorrect: the reference to the author is missing.
(2) the file should begin with .5 to 1.0 seconds of silence. Your file opens with 2.5 seconds of silence
(3) the file should end with 5.0 seconds of silence; yours ends with 7.0 seconds

Wait until you have received the rest of my PL Notes and made your changes and THEN upload with the correct file name.

Thanks, again.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

tding wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 11:24 am Hello, Amy and Bill,

Section 30 has been uploaded at https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_30_godwin_128kb.mp3 (30:03) for PL.

It's hard to explain the eerie feeling I had when reading this chapter. I keep wanting to ask, "Was this really written in 1793?"......I cannot tell you how glad that I claimed this one! I hope everyone listening will enjoy it and feels inspired too.

Tina Ding
tding; I apologize for having let your recording of this section fall through the cracks - old age strikes again!
Within 48 hours I will respond with my PL Notes.
Thanks.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
cezka

Post by cezka »

Hello!

I'd like to volunteer for sections 39 and 40! :D

This'll be my first recording over ten minutes and, though admittedly a bit nervous, I'm definitely excited. These chapters are a great read! Do you guys have any tips on lengthy recording sessions?

Many thanks!!
"Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge."
Gibran Khalil Gibran (1833-1931)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Czeka,
I assigned you these. Now that you have these two the book is fully subscribed so please look for it in Readers Found when you are ready to submit your sections.
Some tips for recording a long section are to read it aloud before you record to get a feel for it. If you get bogged down. You can read it in parts of 15 minutes or whatever feels right to take a break. Then just paste those parts into the one file for the section. If you do that, don't master them until they are one piece.
Have fun.
-Amy
cezka

Post by cezka »

alg1001 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 6:35 am Hi Cezka,
I assigned you these. Now that you have these two the book is fully subscribed so please look for it in Readers Found when you are ready to submit your sections.
Some tips for recording a long section are to read it aloud before you record to get a feel for it. If you get bogged down. You can read it in parts of 15 minutes or whatever feels right to take a break. Then just paste those parts into the one file for the section. If you do that, don't master them until they are one piece.
Have fun.
-Amy
Got it, thanks! Will start right away :D
"Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge."
Gibran Khalil Gibran (1833-1931)
tding

Post by tding »

williamjones wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:30 pm
tding wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 11:24 am Hello, Amy and Bill,

Section 30 has been uploaded at https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_30_godwin_128kb.mp3 (30:03) for PL.

It's hard to explain the eerie feeling I had when reading this chapter. I keep wanting to ask, "Was this really written in 1793?"......I cannot tell you how glad that I claimed this one! I hope everyone listening will enjoy it and feels inspired too.

Tina Ding
tding; I apologize for having let your recording of this section fall through the cracks - old age strikes again!
Within 48 hours I will respond with my PL Notes.
Thanks.
Hey, Bill,

How did THAT happen? -- Just kidding! I hope you will enjoy listening to this section as much as I did when reading it.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Tding, I am impressed by your fault-free reading of this tough, tough, tough, tough, tough section.

At 12:40 I heard "...they will <garbled sound> be biassed..."
s/b "...they will INEVITABLY be biassed..."

But, when I put my headphones on and listened, the correct word was clearly there, so.....
Section 30 in PL OK! :clap: :clap:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

stinebirch wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:03 pm section 41

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_41_128kb.mp3

37:27
Hi Austin,
I prooflistened your section. This is not a word perfect project but I have noted instances where there were differences in words that could significantly change the meaning. It can be easier to rerecord the sentence rather than just the word. Then you delete the first one and replace it with your new one. In the future, I encourage you to go back after you record and listen to your recording as you read along. This is the best way to finish your editing and catch issues.
PL Notes:
Reduce the opening silence to 1 second.
0.25 Delete “chapter 14” and instead say “Book 4 Chapter 11”.
0.28 Reduce gap to 2 seconds.
4.52 I hear cognent. It shoud be cogent. “Then have we the most cogent reason for studying pleasure,..”
7.42 I hear degragated. It should be degraded. “I cannot bear to see human nature thus degraded.”
8:07 I hear substance. It should be subsistence. “We will conceive a man, working with his hands every day to obtain his subsistence.”
12:31 I hear pitiful. It should be pitying. “There is no delightful melancholy, but in pitying distress.”
15:00 I hear unannounced. It should be announced. “Let us proceed to a second point announced by us in the outset,..”
17:21 I hear reinformation. It should be reformation. “These two circumstances greatly favored the reformation of religion,..”
19:59 I hear insignificant. It should be insufficient. The general tendency to improvement, would be an insufficient apology for untoward events, if everything were not connected
22:24-22:38 Repeat of: “As to what was stated of the simplicity of the human mind, it may be observed, that the history of the species exhibits the limited effects of this internal principle, and the structure of the human body, as well as of the material universe.”
24:39. I here relocate. It should be recollect. “…while we recollect the vast portion of pain and calamity that is to be found in the world.
27:12. I hear contraries . It should be countries. “But he has always, through a vast majority of countries, been the victim of ignorance and superstition.”
30:00-30:05 Repeat and misread. “It is …dividual, under any given circumstances, will or will not contribute to the general good.”
34:17 I hear revolution. It should be revulsion. “…but this revulsion would be the offspring of irritation.”
35:12 I hear profuses. It should be professes. “…in which he professes to desire the government should act?”
36:30 A line is missing: because he will be unwilling to add fuel to the flames of contention. “He will avoid persecution, because he will be unwilling to add fuel to the flames of contention. He will regret it when it arrives, because he believes it to be both wicked and mischievous.”
Reduce the closing silence to 5 seconds.
The filename should be enquiry_41_godwin_128kb
When you edit it works best to work backwards so that the timestamps for where to make the update don't change. Please make these edits and resubmit your recording. If you need any help, please let me know or check out the Need Help Forum where there is a wealth of helpful information.
Thanks,
-Amy
tding

Post by tding »

williamjones wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:39 am Tding, I am impressed by your fault-free reading of this tough, tough, tough, tough, tough section.

But, when I put my headphones on and listened, the correct word was clearly there, so.....
Hello, Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement. I agreed with what you pointed out at 12:40. I updated it to make it better and uploaded the revised version. Please check it out.

Tina
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

tding wrote: August 19th, 2020, 9:02 am
williamjones wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:39 am Tding, I am impressed by your fault-free reading of this tough, tough, tough, tough, tough section.

Hello, Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement. I agreed with what you pointed out at 12:40. I updated it to make it better and uploaded the revised version. Please check it out.

Tina
Much clearer. Well done!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Jddykst

Post by Jddykst »

Jim D.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow just as well -Mark Twain
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you, Jim!