Complete-[Politcs/Philosophy]Enquiry Concerning Political Justice Vol1-William Godwin-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

williamjones wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm
msfry wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:04 am Section 6 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_06_godwin_128kb.mp3 16:39
Superb recitation! PL OK

On page 11 one finds:
In England the criminal law is administered with greater impartiality so far
as regards the trial itself ; but the number of capital offences, and
of consequence the frequency of pardons, open a wide door to
favour and abuse.

The character Ross Poldark in the eponymous TV series says very much the same thing as here!
That's interesting. He does give a good dressing down.

Thanks, William and Michele!
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm
msfry wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:04 am Section 6 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_06_godwin_128kb.mp3 16:39
Superb recitation! PL OK

On page 11 one finds:
In England the criminal law is administered with greater impartiality so far
as regards the trial itself ; but the number of capital offences, and
of consequence the frequency of pardons, open a wide door to
favour and abuse.

The character Ross Poldark in the eponymous TV series says very much the same thing as here!
We are watching Poldark right now! Great series! It's what piqued my interest in this project! Being far more prole than gentry, I did have to look up "eponymous". :?
LeerEnVozAlta

Post by LeerEnVozAlta »

I’ll take a few chapters, too
msfry

Post by msfry »

I will have to give up Section 7. I tried for 30 minutes this morning and cannot do it justice. May I claim 27 instead?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

msfry wrote: January 24th, 2020, 8:08 am I will have to give up Section 7. I tried for 30 minutes this morning and cannot do it justice. May I claim 27 instead?
You got it, Michele. Section 7 must be a bear.
Cheers!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

LeerEnVozAlta wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm I’ll take a few chapters, too
Hi Leer,
Please submit an one-minute test in the Listeners Forum to make sure your tech specs are all set. Then come back and let me know which sections you would like. Thanks for your interest in this book.
Cheers!
-Amy
msfry

Post by msfry »

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks, Michele!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 08 of godwin
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_08_godwin_128kb.mp3 42:59

This is a surprising section hearkening back to my John Dewey (Human Nature and Conduct) solo project. There is a lot of paraphrasing going on here. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Dewey knew of Godwin and/or this book, especially this chapter. And, near the end, he makes references that sound a lot like John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi William,
I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Godwin was influential.
Thanks for Section 8!
-Amy :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:51 pm Here is section 27.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry_27_godwin_128kb.mp3 11:54
Only one PL note:
10:05 heard "to entail to the LAST posterity".
s/b "to entail to the LATEST posterity".

Confession: I don't understand what "latest posterity" means.

Your delivery was a delight to listen to.

On the last page one reads: "Man is in a state of perpetual mutation. He must grow either better or worse, either correct his habits or confirm them. Dewey expounds on this at length!

He is a strong, strong proponent of evolutionary change, as opposed to Revolutionary change.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I'm having a bit of a problem with sections 8 and 9
In the MW, the text that is supposed to indicate the title of Chap 5, PART 2 is actually found in the text as the start of Chap. 5, PART 1. And, this text does end with "ratiocination". To wit: "The Voluntary Actions of Men Originate in their Opinions"

In the "Title" column of the MW, one finds for Section 8 "BOOK I. CHAP. V. Part 1." This is what I have recorded and uploaded.

In the MW Notes for Chap V Part 2, the "Begin on p.36 with: “All the premises in the objection..." does reflect what I see text, BUT that same MW Note begins with "The Voluntary Actions of Men Originate in their Opinions" which is how PART *1* BEGINS.

I'm going to record Section 9 from the last half of the text for Chap. V. seems right even tho the notes threw me for a loop for a while.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi William,
I am sorry for causing any confusion. It looks like a put the name of the chapter, "The Voluntary Actions of Men Originate in their Opinions", in that part on the notes for Part 2, and I didn't put it in Part 1's notes.
My bad.
-Amy
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: January 31st, 2020, 8:40 pm
Only one PL note:
37 uploaded with error corrected. No time change. Most recent posterity vs. Ancient posterity is my guess.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 1st, 2020, 8:10 am
williamjones wrote: January 31st, 2020, 8:40 pm
Only one PL note:
37 uploaded with error corrected. No time change. Most recent posterity vs. Ancient posterity is my guess.
Onward and Upward! Section 37 PL OK.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison