COMPLETE: [RUSSIAN] Silhouettes of Russian Writers, Issue 1 - dii

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and sections 12 is again PL ok. :thumbs: now I am also curious to read something from Lermontov :lol: lots of new authors to discover here. The demon sounds like a great romantic poem :9: Probably too difficult for me in the original though.

I see on wikipedia that he also was a great painter. I love landscape paintings. He died too young. :(

Thank you again for a great reading, Mark.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: January 6th, 2020, 7:06 am I found a small repetition here which is unnecessary:

> at 27:01: (p. 80 top) repetition of part of the sentence: "Если бъ меня спросили,— говоритъ Печоринъ въ «Княгинѣ Литовской»,— чего я хочу:" – you repeat "Если бъ меня спросили" once again before "чего я хочу" – can be cut out here

I also noticed that there is has been a shift in grammar along the decades. Here I often saw written "ея", which nowadays is "её". I love such linguistic differences.
Sonia, this repetition clarifies the sentence interrupted by "— говорит... —". In the printed form the em-dashes help to scan the sentence, but in the narrated form it sounds awkward and hard to process. I heard this trick in both English and Russian audio recordings, but if the LV insists, I could stick to the printed text, please let me know, you and Diana are the administrators, and I'd be happy to follow your guidance.

There are two versions of an English translation of A Hero of Our Time on LV.
Demon is recorded in Russian, sec.3,4 here: https://librivox.org/multilingual-short-works-collection-009-by-various/.
Your humble servant too recorded a rather frivolous Mongo :oops: sec.2 here: https://librivox.org/librivox-multilingual-short-works-collection-007/

A QUESTION to Sonia and Diana:
The next installment, Baratynsky, too has a few longish poetry fragments. A while ago, I BCd a complete Baratynsky
(https://librivox.org/poetry-and-prose-by-evgeny-baratynsky/) on LV. As we are dealing with PD recordings, would it be okay to cut the fragments from there and insert here? Thanks!
Last edited by chulsky on January 29th, 2020, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: January 11th, 2020, 7:00 pmSonia, this repetition clarifies the sentence interrupted by "— говорит... —". In the printed form the em-dashes help to scan the sentence, but in the narrated form it sounds awkward and hard to process.
ah so it was done on purpose, I thought it was an oversight. Yes, of course usually we have to stick to the text, but since it doesn't change the meaning at all, you can leave it in. It's not word-perfect required after all. But I don't think it would sound awkward with the break in between. It's your choice :) I'll mark it PL ok then.
The next installment, Baratynsky, too has a few longish poetry fragments. A while ago, I BCd a complete Baratynsky
(https://librivox.org/poetry-and-prose-by-evgeny-baratynsky/) on LV. As we are dealing with PD recordings, would it be okay to cut the fragments for there and insert here?
no unfortunately this is never done and we have that as one of the few "rules" we do have: recordings are never recycled and used in more than one project. If you wish to record the same poem in two projects, you need to record it twice. I know from experience that it is a bit tedious to record the same thing twice, I also try to avoid choosing the same excerpts for two projects. I think I had to do it only once with a stage play. :hmm: But luckily I think my second version even turned out better than the first. I see the project was from 2015, so I guess your audio and narrative qualities also have improved from that time, so this version probably will also become better :9:

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.13,14 (Баратынский) posted.
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_13_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [30:28]
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_14_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [24:47]

Thank you, Sonia, for your belief that I could still progress in my narrative skills. I've been with theater productions on and off for over 40 years, I could only wish my skills have been growing all this time :-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: January 29th, 2020, 5:52 pmThank you, Sonia, for your belief that I could still progress in my narrative skills. I've been with theater productions on and off for over 40 years, I could only wish my skills have been growing all this time :-)
well I believe we grow with each endeavour we make. Also the technical aspects could change for the better, a better microphone for example.

Anyway, another reason is, if you read from a different text, then there could be subtle differences too. For example I checked the beginning of "осень" just out of curiosity, and indeed the first few lines have subtle differences in text, even though it's a poem and one would think they never change. But here some lines were different. So a re-recording would have been necessary anyway to be true to this text here.

Listened to section 13 right now and only one small omission to correct:

> at 0:08: you forgot to say "Часть первая" after the title "Баратынскій"

the rest is perfect :)

Will try to listen to section 14 today still. Stay tuned !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes, finished section 14 as well, and it's perfectly PL ok. :clap: Thank you for another very hour of listening pleasure. :9:

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.13 fixed:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_13_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [30:29]

Sonia, your work is amazing! Considering the workload you are performing, just mind boggling how methodical and thorough you are! Now I am curious what Eichenwald messed up with Осень while underrating Baratynsky :-) To the research...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: January 30th, 2020, 6:12 am Sec.13 fixed:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_13_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [30:29]

Sonia, your work is amazing! Considering the workload you are performing, just mind boggling how methodical and thorough you are! Now I am curious what Eichenwald messed up with Осень while underrating Baratynsky :-) To the research...
oh it wasn't much and I only checked the beginning.

И ты, какъ онъ, съ надеждой сѣялъ;
И ты, какъ онъ, о дальнемъ днѣ наградъ

in the other version it was
какъ онъ, и ты, съ надеждой сѣялъ;
какъ онъ, и ты, о дальнемъ днѣ наградъ

not a big difference, but still, one of the versions is a bit of a deviation ;) and I didn't check more, maybe there were other parts subtly different

your section 13 is PL ok now, thanks :)

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Oh, yes, there was an earlier version of Осень, B. reworked it a little later! Thank you for reminding me!
Now, Тютчев and Сергей Аксаков are ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_15_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [41:31]
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_16_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [38:49]
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I managed to listen to Тютчев now and he sounds very interesting. A bit of a romantic soul, if I understood some parts right, that he is often dealing with night, chaos and winter descriptions. Gothic touch maybe ? Need to read him up in English once.

Perfect reading again, and all PL ok.

I will try to PL Аксаков tomorrow though, I am a bit tired out today. It needs some concentration to PL in a language I am not too familiar with, and I fear I cannot do another lengthy section today. But tomorrow, with a fresh mind :D

Thank you

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: February 6th, 2020, 7:23 am ...I am a bit tired out today. It needs some concentration to PL in a language I am not too familiar with, and I fear I cannot do another lengthy section today. But tomorrow, with a fresh mind :D
Thank you for the quick PL and absolutely no rush, Sonia! It might be a few weeks before I get to the next section!

Interestingly, my wife (she often listens while I make recordings) too said she would like to get to know Tiutchev better. I, personally, prefer Baratynsky. These two are usually positioned as the leaders of the second tier of the Golden Age of Russian poetry (Pushkin and Lermontov are the 1st tier).

Meanwhile, I am slowly listening to The World’s Story, just started vol.2. You did a great job organizing this huge project, and I enjoy your sections!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Thank you for the quick PL and absolutely no rush, Sonia!
yes I know, but I don't want to keep the readers wait too long for feedback. And I also don't want a backlog ;)

So I listened to the next section, and hehe, this time I found something to correct. At least my work is not for nothing. 8-)

> at 6:48: (p. 122) "въ каждый данный моментъ" – you left out " данный". I think the meaning is not really changed, but I prefer to tell you and you can judge for yourself whether it's worth changing (may be optional)

> at 17:37: (p. 124) stumble and repeat: "изъ которыхъ со всѣхъ" – can be cut out once, I also hear two fingersnaps afterwards

The rest is perfect as always. :)
Meanwhile, I am slowly listening to The World’s Story, just started vol.2. You did a great job organizing this huge project, and I enjoy your sections!
:9: oh, thank you ! So cool that you also want to participate there. I will listen to you in English for once.

So you are listening to the whole book series ? Wow, you have quite a program ahead of you. :shock: We are already at Book 10 ! The sections are mostly very interesting, and usually very short, so I think that is one of the main secrets of the success of this project. So far we have finished 4 books per year, not bad in timing.

Have a nice weekend

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Posted sec.17, Огарев:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_17_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [16:22]
I will listen to you in English for once.
Oh, please, you are making me blush. My accent is too heavy; I know, it's okay, but really I should concentrate on the much neglected Russian PD books. Once in a while I do parts in English to stay in touch with the LV community...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: February 9th, 2020, 7:09 pmPosted sec.17, Огарев:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_17_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [16:22]
you are fast at this recording :thumbs: another great section and totally flawless and straight PL ok.

I have a question here, which I wondered about for a long time already. Why is it that in Russian you so often leave out the ë and instead only write a straight e, even though the sound should be /yo/ and not /ye/ ? :hmm: I see that so often, here again with the name Огарев, which you pronounce Огарëв. To me these are two completely different letters, but in the Russian language they seem to be interchangeable and you have to know the word to know how it's pronounced. For someone who is learning the language this is difficult of course.
Oh, please, you are making me blush. My accent is too heavy
no not at all. I was expecting much worse when I read your comment, but I think you speak very clearly and accurately. :thumbs: No worries there.

Thank you

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.16 corrected: https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_16_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [38:46]
Why is it that in Russian you so often leave out the ë and instead only write a straight e, even though the sound should be /yo/ and not /ye/ ?
Good question, I don't know the answer. In Germanic languages are umlauts always shown, even on storefronts and in advertisements? The native speakers just know which sound to use. "ё" is always spelled out in school books and if there could be a confusion, like "все" vs "всё".

Sonia, I going to continue this project and would be happy if you would continue to help me.
I looked at other books of Silhouettes of Russian Writers by Eichenwald. There is выпуск 2 (1908), выпуск 3 (1910), and a 1923 edition, where some of the silhouettes are rewritten. I am going to omit Chekhov in this book and other writers in выпуск 2 and 3 because there will be newer versions in the 1923 volume. If you have better ideas, please share!