COMPLETE[PLAY]Galahad Jones by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MichaelMaggs wrote: November 26th, 2019, 6:21 amOh dear, I am so sorry :oops:. Hope the system backs stuff up ...
yes, luckily it does. I only need to find and correctly name Adrian's file again. I will do so this evening.

Still, the naming is important. Here, by chance we noticed the confusion, because the file got checked again.

I give you an example why it is important: if, let's say, you upload a wrongly named file in a poetry project, for example section "03", and named it "04". That moment you will have overwritten the correct section 04. So even if you notice your error and reupload with the correct section number, your section will be ok, but nobody will know that section 4 is still wrong. So you need to mention it in the thread, and then the MC can get the correct section 4 installed again.
and now they are PL ok :) thank you, Michael

Sonia
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thanks Sonia, I'll watch for that!
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: November 26th, 2019, 6:12 am
I will try to clean up the confusion and restore Adrian's files this evening when I can get into Todd's folder.

Sonia
Hello Sonia,
I keep a copy of my files. So if you need me to re-upload, please say so.
Thanks,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: November 26th, 2019, 7:07 amI keep a copy of my files. So if you need me to re-upload, please say so.
ah thank you, yes that would have worked too. But I just finished cleaning it up and the correct file is now back in the MW. No damage done. I was able to locate the correct file quickly enough. 8-)

All is well again.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sonia,

Thank you for getting this fixed in my absense! (And becuz even if I were there I could not have fixed it!)

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: November 27th, 2019, 7:35 amThank you for getting this fixed in my absense! (And becuz even if I were there I could not have fixed it!)
:lol: well by now I am used to spring cleaning in your folder (it feels to me like rummaging in your garden shed :mrgreen: )

No problem, the error was quickly solved. Luckily we noticed immediately. And anyway, Adrian had backups.

As a good reminder for everyone: keep your backup files until the project is archived. You never know. For those who have been here a bit longer already, they will still remember the "big October server crash a few years ago". Private backups were of necessity back then. :help:

Sonia
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: November 27th, 2019, 7:43 am keep your backup files until the project is archived. You never know
Agreed, as an (ex) software engineer, I am paranoid about backups. This, in part, comes from when I was a young engineer; I was given the "only copy in existence" of an important client demo ten minutes before the client was due to arrive. I was instructed to make a copy for safety. Unfortunately I did the image copy from one 8" floppy to another, but the wrong way around - thereby producing a perfect copy of a blank disk. And discovered this just as the client arrived, and had to tell my boss.

Now I have a linux server as my network server with zfs enterprise level mirror-raid filesystems, which are automatically snapshotted every 15 minutes. Snapshots are kept for several years. I have a back-up server in a physically distinct location, which wakes up every day and updates to any changes, and keeps weekly snapshots too.

While folks don't need to go insanely overboard as I have done ("just because I could"), I do encourage folks to make regular backups of important files. You can get a lot onto a USB thumb drive these days.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

In the “Big October Server Crash” that a few years ago that Sonia mentioned, the first failure was similar to what you mention, with the overall MW database backup system failing to work properly for a few weeks before the main server went out in the second unrelated? failure. So our automated backups did not contain a month or so of useful stuff....

Keep those backups!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ah, the October Server Crash of 2016... I remember it well...
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

This is a true story. Only the names have been changed to protect the egregious.

Fred managed to drop the 14 inch diameter removable disk pack before inserting it into the drive unit.

“Holy smoke! It won’t read!” said Fred. “I’ll try the backup copy disk pack in this drive. That’s funny, the backup won’t read either. I better try the backup in the second drive unit. Now THAT drive unit won’t read either. I know. I’ll get the reserve backup out of the fireproof safe and try it in this second drive unit.”

We close at this point, as the pucker factor is reaching critical level. Suffice to say that Fred wasn’t still employed at that place 24 hours later. Last we heard he was pulling pints in a Irish pub.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: November 27th, 2019, 8:34 am Unfortunately I did the image copy from one 8" floppy to another, but the wrong way around - thereby producing a perfect copy of a blank disk. And discovered this just as the client arrived, and had to tell my boss.
you still live to tell the tale :shock: wow I can only imagine the bad moment you must have had. (so did you meet "Fred" down in the Irish pub ? :mrgreen: )

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Two words ... Légion étrangère. :lol:

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 28th, 2019, 1:52 amTwo words ... Légion étrangère. :lol:
:lol: been there often, Chris ?

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: November 28th, 2019, 1:54 am
SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 28th, 2019, 1:52 amTwo words ... Légion étrangère. :lol:
:lol: been there often, Chris ?

Sonia
Madame Zig Zig? Is that you?

Chris

P.S. We always Carry On when Todd's out of town. :mrgreen:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 28th, 2019, 2:10 amMadame Zig Zig? Is that you?
:lol: I was thinking the same thing when you mentioned the légion (I'm sure Todd will groan now when/if he finds out what this is all about)
We always Carry On when Todd's out of town. :mrgreen:
yes well, I try to rein you in as much as I can...he will be back eventually :mrgreen:

Sonia