{COMPLETE} Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879) - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
johng

Post by johng » November 11th, 2019, 8:59 am

{SOLO} Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mark-twain-in-the-new-york-times-part-one/
This collection of articles by and about Mark Twain and his family was compiled by Barbara Schmidt, publisher of twainquotes.com. Included in Part One of this chronological listing (1867-1879) are some of Twain’s short stories, speeches and letters, as they appeared in the New York Times from May 1, 1867 up through 1879. The original microfiche articles are available at the New York Times “Time Machine” website: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/browser/ and here. ( John Greenman and Barbara Schmidt)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/browser
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects (and hence the number of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      "Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879). Section One. (Date) (Title) Read by John Greenman."

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879). This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

"Mark Twain in the New York Times, Part One, Section (number)(Date) (Title) Read by John Greenman "
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section {number}(Date) (Title) Read by John Greenman"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879). Read by John Greenman"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename marktwaininthenewyorktimes1_##_twain_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. marktwaininthenewyorktimes1_##_twain_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by johng on December 1st, 2019, 9:44 am, edited 13 times in total.
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

johng

Post by johng » November 11th, 2019, 9:06 am

As there are over 520 articles in this compilation...there will need to be multiple "parts".
This "Part One" covers 1867-1879.
Future "parts" will need to be compiled based on the length of the material...so, possibly, they will run as follows:
Part Two -1880-1889
Part Three: 1890-1899
Part Four: 1900-1909
Part Five: 1910-1919
Part Six: 1920-1924

I'm thinking that each separate listing should be a separate day/date, but since there are several days that contain multiple, separate articles about/by MT, these listings would include ALL the articles from that particular day.

The source for the material is the New York Times "Time Machine" and I am compiling a list of each article with a URL for each.

Here is the link for a folder which will contain the articles-
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8y5mmigc7qybdx/AADOwz8VJbG6lgOkfxYjqQRda?dl=0

There will often be words or phrases that are out of focus or partially missing.
For that reason, I have asked Barbara Schmidt for permission to use her compiled material at http://www.twainquotes.com/nytindex.html, as a way to proofread the sometimes fuzzy originals.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » November 14th, 2019, 11:29 am

Hi John -

I would be happy to DPL this Part One for you and see how it goes!

Lynda

johng

Post by johng » November 14th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Fantastic Lynda!
Thanks!!
We just need an MC and we'll be "on the way"
:-)
-j

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 15th, 2019, 5:51 pm

I'm cataloging a project, so I'll take on this one.

I'm thinking that the project title could simply be "Mark Twain in the New York Times, Part One (1867-1879)" with subsequent ones being "Part 2 (yyyy-yyyy)" and so on. I don't think you need the 1867-1924 years showing up in each project part. This will also make the intros/outros easier.

I've shortened the file names as well. I think we can do "marktwaininthenewyorktimes" with a 1, 2, 3 for each part.

I assume we don't have separate NewYorkTimes text links for each article that we can put into the catalog page, so I'm thinking of not marking this as a compilation so as to clutter up the catalog page with text links that don't work.

Question: Are there separate authors? I assume so from your summary, which means maybe adding that info to the section title (such as "January 13, 1877 - Unsigned book review for TOM SAWYER by John Doe" if there are names for these authors). What do you think?
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
The Medici family history: LINK

johng

Post by johng » November 15th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Thanks Tricia!

I already shortened the titles but will double check and edit before I send them in.
I have PDF’s saved for each article...Pn Dropbox... none of which are attributed except when Clemens is the author.

I like your idea of shortening the title!!!
Thanks!!!!
🤡
-j

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 15th, 2019, 7:07 pm

I saw the Dropbox link, but the files in there were mostly TIFFs, I think. If we can get them into some order in one PDF (one per project, so this one for 1867-1879), I can upload that to the project page at Archive, so they're all stored neatly for whomever wants to see them. I did that on your last project. But that doesn't have to be done right away, and I can probably work on it in my leisure time. :)

johng

Post by johng » November 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

Absolutely...
I’ll convert the files i’ve done for Part One (all of them) to PDF’s.
It would e GREAT if the reference wasn’t to one of my DB locations.
Thanks (again)
-j

johng

Post by johng » November 16th, 2019, 8:02 am

are done

PLEASE let me know if anything doesn't seem to be right....title, times, (words, of course), format....etc.!!
:-)
I will convert the TIFFs to one big PDF

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » November 16th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Hi John -

I have listened to the 4 sections now. Your reading of the sections contained no errors - congratulations! :thumbs:

I did notice the following things that were not "even" between the sections:

1) Section 1 - you start with "This is... Section 1...." where the rest of the Intro's start with "Section x..." I think you should just remove the words prior to Section 1 and then all will be the same...

2) In Sections 1, 2, and 4 for the Extro you say the Section Title and then your name. In Section 3 you say: End of Section 3, Section Title Read By.

If you could just pick one Extro option and standardize on it and then edit the first post (the one with the MW) as to what you intend to say that would be great as then I can reference it when PL'ing. I have about 6 PL's on the go (along with 7 solo's) and it is hard to remember what options each book has chosen :) Here is what Librivox suggests -

At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Chapter]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"

Where you are doing:

"End of [Section Name]
"Read by [your name]

Other than those really minor things (but important to nail down as this is the beginning of a LONG solo) this looks to be a fun project! :clap:

Lynda

johng

Post by johng » November 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Great catches! Thanks so much I’ll make those corrections A la Mañana...

johng

Post by johng » November 18th, 2019, 8:17 am

OK
for INTRO... Let's go with:

"Section [number] of Mark Twain in the New York Times - Part One (1867-1879).
(LV info)
Mark Twain in the New York Times, Part One, Section (number)(Date) (Title) Read by John Greenman "

for Extro:
"End of Section {number}(Date) (Title) Read by John Greenman"

By including my name at the beginning and end of each recording, I'm attempting to short circuit the "attribution change" that some re-distributors are making for some of my recordings!!!

johng

Post by johng » November 18th, 2019, 8:29 am

01-04 are corrected for intro and extro

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 18th, 2019, 9:56 am

Moved to Going Solo. :)

johng

Post by johng » November 18th, 2019, 10:13 am

05 is done