COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 023 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hayduo wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:38 pm Since no other Spanish works were submitted to this collection I figured I'd record a quick one.
I'm actually considering recording this whole book, so tell me what you think! Also, I had to amplify quite a bit but I think the background noise is still acceptable (?)
thank you Hernan, this is straight PL ok. It was quite chilling to hear the repetitions of the simple words at the end of each stanza...like time dripping slowly away. Conveys my feelings these days quite accurately :( I wonder why the final E has been written with a capital letter :hmm: some deeper meaning ?

Regarding your link to this book: is this an official site from a library maybe ? Just asking to make sure the link does not vanish any time soon. Sometimes with only fansites, they lose interest and disappear again.

As to recording the entire book, you are free to do so of course. Just please note that we don't use any of our recordings twice in two different projects. So if you go ahead with it, you need to re-record this poem as well, and not simply use the same recording than here. Each recording should be unique and not a rehash. :) You can also opt to take it out now of this collection and use it for your solo, if you decide to to so. But then please notify us before the project is archived ;)

Thanks

Sonia
hayduo

Post by hayduo »

Kitty wrote: April 15th, 2020, 1:46 am thank you Hernan, this is straight PL ok. It was quite chilling to hear the repetitions of the simple words at the end of each stanza...like time dripping slowly away. Conveys my feelings these days quite accurately :( I wonder why the final E has been written with a capital letter :hmm: some deeper meaning ?
This book of poems is characterized by unusual play with words and grammar. The very name of the collection Trilce, is said to be a combination of two words: triste (sad) and dulce (sweet); though nobody knows for sure.

In this specific poem, there is the capitalization you mention (to be honest I didn't notice until you mentioned it :P), and the other in the word 'Lomismo' (an invented word, from the expression 'lo mismo' (the same)). Other invented words are 'cancionan' (derivative of 'canción' (song)); 'heriza' (combination of 'hiere' (hurt) and 'eriza' (bristle)). This is common in the Vanguardist movement.

There are many more interesting things about this poem: there is symbolism and pattern in the number of verses and syllables, cool hidden metaphors, gradation in words that signify/are related to heat (hell), etc. I'll just end by saying that the repetition of words, at the end of each stanza, that are related to time represent the monotony of life, which is the main theme. This book was written by César Vallejo while he was (unjustly) in jail, so we don't have to guess where the inspiration for that came from :lol:. And yes, in times of quarantine, this poem fits perfectly.

I remember analyzing this poem back in school (good times 8-)). The very first poem I truly appreciated :9:. Oh well, I'll shut up about it now, got a little carried away there.
Kitty wrote: April 15th, 2020, 1:46 am Regarding your link to this book: is this an official site from a library maybe ? Just asking to make sure the link does not vanish any time soon. Sometimes with only fansites, they lose interest and disappear again.
It's sort of an org that promotes online learning. Apart from having books online they have some awesome talks on youtube (I even dare say better than TedTalks :clap:). They're founded by a big bank so I trust it's stable, though I've already downloaded the book jic.
Kitty wrote: April 15th, 2020, 1:46 am As to recording the entire book, you are free to do so of course. Just please note that we don't use any of our recordings twice in two different projects. So if you go ahead with it, you need to re-record this poem as well, and not simply use the same recording than here. Each recording should be unique and not a rehash. :) You can also opt to take it out now of this collection and use it for your solo, if you decide to to so. But then please notify us before the project is archived ;)

Thanks

Sonia
Yeah it's alright, I was planning on recording it twice from the start. Please, keep it in this collection :9:.

Thank you very much Sonia,

Hernan
earcicar

Post by earcicar »

Hola, podría añadir una pieza de Rafael Pombo, un poeta del siglo XIX de Colombia?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

earcicar wrote: May 18th, 2020, 6:43 pmHola, podría añadir una pieza de Rafael Pombo, un poeta del siglo XIX de Colombia?
hello and welcome to LibriVox :) I hope you are fine with English, as my Spanish grammar is not good enough to communicate in :oops:

Rafael Pombo is an excellent choice, and I found two good sources of poetry for him on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/poesiasderafaelp01pombuoft/page/n4/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/poesiasderafaelp02pombuoft/page/n3/mode/2up

We always need to make sure the text is public domain, so new editions (published after 1923) will not be useable. But these two are from 1916 and 1917, so they are fine.

I hope you find something in there that you like to record. Also, please wait for the results of your one-minute-test, so all the technical settings are correct.

Then since you are a new reader, I would need to open a personal reader page for you, so please let me know what reader name you want to use (can be your forum name or real name or another pseudonym).

Have fun recording !

Sonia
earcicar

Post by earcicar »

Hello. My English is very bad, but it´s funny to try. I found very interesting the links which you shared. I have other sources of text in the public domain, the virtual library of banrepcultural a web site of the a very important cultural institution from Colombia. My reader-name could be e aliosha.
Thak you Sonia

Edwing Arciniegas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

earcicar wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:20 amI have other sources of text in the public domain, the virtual library of banrepcultural a web site of the a very important cultural institution from Colombia.
before you record anything, could you just give us the link to this specific text source, so we can check whether it's acceptable. Not every website online is reliable. The best is always if they show a scan of the original, and not just a transcription of the text otherwise we cannot be sure if they edited the text from the original.

Sonia
earcicar

Post by earcicar »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

earcicar wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:10 am Hello, so these are the links http://babel.banrepcultural.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17054coll10/id/2718/rec/1
http://babel.banrepcultural.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17054coll10/id/2720/rec/3
This website has a big collection in the public domain.
ah no, sorry, but see here, this is a pdf file, totally new and rearranged in 2010 I suspect, since it says so underneath. This is highly edited and we cannot be sure it's really conform to the original document, without modernization of some old words maybe.

On the internet anybody can write that it's public domain, but we have to be absolutely sure, and so it's best to have the original scan, like the one I gave you from archive.org. If you find the poem you want to read in archive, it's best to use that scan.

Alternatively, another volunteer suggested to me this site of the National Library of Colombia: https://bibliotecanacional.gov.co/es-co They have the digital scans as well, so maybe you can browse there and find the book you need to read from. :)

Sonia
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hi,

It's so nice with another multilingual short works collection :D

I was thinking about doing a recording of the Danish fairytale Hyrdinden og Skorstensfejeren (Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep in English) by Hans Christian Andersen.

I have found it on both Wikisource: https://da.wikisource.org/wiki/Hyrdinden_og_Skorsteensfeieren) and a scanning in Google Books: https://books.google.dk/books?id=Dw9AjKH35PoC&dq=Nye%20Eventyr.%20F%C3%B8rste%20Bind.%20Tredie%20Samling.%201845.&hl=da&pg=PA33#v=onepage&q=Nye%20Eventyr.%20F%C3%B8rste%20Bind.%20Tredie%20Samling.%201845.&f=false
Is one of these sources okay? :)

I was also thinking how I shall "stylish" the title when I submit it? Originally it was using old Danish spelling and was called "Hyrdinden og Skorsteensfeieren". Is it the original spelling I shall use?

Best regards,
Anders
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hey Anders, great to hear back from you again ! I remember listening to one of your poems (my first Danish PL) !
the google scan is ok, as it clearly states the publishing year. Wikisource is not ok in this case because they don't link to the scan, at least not that I can see. If you don't mind using google books, that would be best.
I was also thinking how I shall "stylish" the title when I submit it? Originally it was using old Danish spelling and was called "Hyrdinden og Skorsteensfeieren". Is it the original spelling I shall use?
yes I would use the title like they use in the google book :)

looking forward to it !

Sonia
zarina

Post by zarina »

Hi!
I recorder a Russian poem called Borodino by Mikhail Lermontov written in 1837. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/Borodino_Russian.mp3

I can also record a translation of it in English. The poem is about the Battle of Borodino, the major battle of Napoleon's invasion of Russia in September 7, 1812. It is a conversation of a young boy with an elder who fought in that battle. The fighting involved around 250,000 troops and left at least 70,000 casualties, making Borodino the deadliest day of the Napoleonic Wars.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

здравствый Царина

welcome to the multilingual collection and I am so looking forward to hearing your contribution in Russian (learning the language right now, so it will be good practice for me).
I recorder a Russian poem called Borodino by Mikhail Lermontov written in 1837. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/Borodino_Russian.mp3
in order to check, I would need the link to the text you read from as well, so I can compare. Note also please that your source must be in the public domain, so we need a reliable site where you found it, preferably with a scan to the original document.
I can also record a translation of it in English.
well at least in this project we only accept languages "other" than English, but there is the monthly poetry collection for English poems. I actually already recorded a poem about Borodino in last month's collection :mrgreen: (Section 3 here: https://librivox.org/short-poetry-collection-203-by-various/) but it was not the one by Lermontov. Also with translations, they need to be published before 1923 to be in the public domain.

Another thing, please always state the length of a recording when you post your link. Also in the first post, you can find all the details for the correct filenaming. (in this case: msw023_[work's title]_[author's last name]_[your initials]_128kb)

And last but not least, I see your one-minute-test received feedback and advice from Algy as there are still some issues with the bitrate: viewtopic.php?p=1721073#p1721073. Please adjust your settings accordingly, because I just checked your Borodino poem and the bitrate is also incorrect here. Also your volume is too loud, we only accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours is over 94 dB. Could you please decrease the volume with -4 dB, then all will be well. :)

Could you get this sorted out first and reupload the poem with the correct bitrate and a link to the text please ? Then I will proceed to check it. At that point I would also need to know what reader name you want to go by, so I can open your personal reader page.

See you soon !

Sonia
bookwarm

Post by bookwarm »

Hi everyone,

What's the deadline for submitting recordings for this collection, please?

Regards,
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bookwarm wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:41 amWhat's the deadline for submitting recordings for this collection, please?
hi Jo and welcome to the forum :) Well, there is no real deadline for submissions in this particular project, since the claims are all open. In regular projects the deadline is usually 2 months though. But this collection will finish and be archived once we have 20 submissions. As you can see in the first post, there are still 9 slots left to fill.

You can choose whatever public domain text you want (provided it's not in English). But please, before you record anything, post the link to your text source here, so we can have a look and confirm that it is really public domain and acceptable. A good reliable source is archive.org or gutenberg.org, so maybe you want to start looking there for texts. The best way is to find the original scan (archive has that) and look at the publishing date. If it's published before 1923, it's public domain. Also, since you are located in Europe, you have to make sure the author (or translator) has been dead for 70 years at least.

welcome aboard :)

Sonia
Anders

Post by Anders »

Kitty wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:54 am hey Anders, great to hear back from you again ! I remember listening to one of your poems (my first Danish PL) !
Thanks! And yeah, that's right :D

Here is my contribution: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw023_hyrdindenogskorsteensfeieren_andersen_ak_128kb.mp3

Author: Hans Christian Andersen
Title: Hyrdinden og Skorsteensfeieren
Link to author on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Christian_Andersen
Link to the text: https://books.google.dk/books?id=Dw9AjKH35PoC&dq=Nye%20Eventyr.%20F%C3%B8rste%20Bind.%20Tredie%20Samling.%201845.&hl=da&pg=PA33#v=onepage&q=Nye%20Eventyr.%20F%C3%B8rste%20Bind.%20Tredie%20Samling.%201845.&f=false (p. 33-42)
Year of publish: 1845
Length: 9:44
Language: Danish
Keywords: Fairy tale, love

I have tried to do some noise reduction, but I still think some bird has made is way onto the recording :lol: I hope it's not that distracting, though!