[COMPLETE]Love Stories Volume 2 -pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones » November 13th, 2019, 8:39 am

chulsky wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:03 pm
williamjones wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 8:50 pm
Mark.... an HOUR long?!?!?!?!? Not 10 minutes?
Я не давно не изучал русский язык.
Это будет сложно, но я сделаю это завтра.
Thank you, Bill, no rush and no pressure.
Isn't 10 min a bit too quick for true love though? :-)
But seriously, if you find it too difficult, feel free to say no!
Thanks again!
I *DO* find it too difficult. I spent most of yesterday evening trying different things with Audacity which I hoped would help me recognize the words (note: "recognize" not *understand*) in your reading. I used the change Tempo effect which helped a little, then moved on to the Change Speed effect. Which also helped a little. I changed the speed down to the point where your voice sounded like a movie monster with his toe caught in a trap. But, even so, I could not confidently recognize your reading of these words from the first paragraph: "когда неистощимымъ кажется многообра3iе воплощаемыхъ" My problem was that after the "когда" all the sounds seemed to be one VERY long, unbroken string of sound. I could not distinguish the individual words. Our brains do a lot of Pre-processing of what we hear and break up what our ears hear into individual words. Well, my vocabulary of Russian words is not big enough for my brain to diagnose fluent Russian speech well enough to to the job.

So, I have to admit defeat. I cannot do a good Proof Listening to your story. Sorry.
Bill says:
“You can lead a horse to water
but you can't make him drink;
You can stuff a fool with knowledge
but you can't make him think.

msfry

Post by msfry » November 13th, 2019, 9:57 am

Mark, your next move could be to advertise for a PL'er over at the Need Help forum, or Listeners Wanted, or Help Languages other than English. Or you may have contacts of your own. In any case, Bill obviously gave it a good try! :D
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

msfry

Post by msfry » November 13th, 2019, 11:44 am

A Service Of Love is PL OK. Cool story, thanks. Reminds me of The Gift of the Magi, also by O. Henry.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

williamjones

Post by williamjones » November 14th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Bill says:
“You can lead a horse to water
but you can't make him drink;
You can stuff a fool with knowledge
but you can't make him think.

chulsky

Post by chulsky » November 15th, 2019, 6:14 am

Thank you, Bill, for the effort, I know how frustrating could be attempts to understand a language one hasn't really mastered.
I'll find someone, don't worry :)
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова
PL/DPL in Russian invited: Аграфена

msfry

Post by msfry » November 15th, 2019, 7:34 am

The Writer, by Maxim Gorky, is PL OK. Good story. I completely relate. Sometimes you have to pat your own self on the back. :)
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2019, 7:43 am

chulsky wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 6:14 am
Thank you, Bill, for the effort, I know how frustrating could be attempts to understand a language one hasn't really mastered.
I'll find someone, don't worry :)
Hi Mark

I had a listen to the first page now and you speak clearly and not too fast for me to follow along with the text, so I can give this a go. The hardest is the "older" spelling in the text, it differs quite a bit from modern spelling, but I think I can figure out the correct words, especially when I hear them spoken by you.

I try to do it over the weekend. It will give me a bit of practice in my Russian studies. :)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2019, 12:11 pm

chulsky wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/lovestories2_grievingbride_sologub_mc_128kb.mp3 [50:36]
Опечаленная невеста (Grieving Bride)
Фёдор Сологуб (Fyodor Sologub) 1863-1927
Source: https://imwerden.de/pdf/sologub_sochinenija_tom7_1911.pdf page 19.

A unique love story between two who never met...
Thank you, Bill!
and I did it ! I finished listening to it all and it's wonderfully narrated. I even understood many things (though not everything, but not your fault, my Russian is far from perfect). But I managed to get along with the next and it was nearly word perfect and the few things I found did not change the meaning at all. :thumbs: So definitely PL ok.

Now this girl really has the strangest hobby ever :shock: And she seems to be crying throughout the whole story. :? Do you think this is a real club they are having in Russia ? The ending was a bit bitter-sweet, I must admit. But it was a very interesting story. I'm glad I got to know it. I've never read anything by Sologub, but he is a good writer.

Thank you, Mark

Sonia

msfry

Post by msfry » November 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Thanks, Sonia. Is there a translation somewhere that we could read in English?

And, I went to mark it PL OK and found it already marked so. Yet another LV mystery, for I don't know how that happened.
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 16th, 2019, 6:23 am

msfry wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm
Is there a translation somewhere that we could read in English?
I'm afraid I couldn't find an English translation so far :( Maybe Mark knows of one.
And, I went to mark it PL OK and found it already marked so. Yet another LV mystery, for I don't know how that happened.
oh I can explain that. :oops: sorry, out of habit I marked it PL ok. Mea culpa. Forgot that I wasn't the DPL.

Sonia

chulsky

Post by chulsky » November 16th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Thank you, Sonia, Michelle, Bill, and Phil for the help!
I don't believe this story was ever translated into any language. Neither the writer nor the story itself was ever very popular. I intentionally try to find less known works for LV.
Sonia, please allow me to PM you if I ever need a DPL. Finding one often becomes a struggle for Russian projects.
Thanks again
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова
PL/DPL in Russian invited: Аграфена

msfry

Post by msfry » November 16th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Kitty wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 6:23 am

oh I can explain that. :oops: sorry, out of habit I marked it PL ok. Mea culpa. Forgot that I wasn't the DPL.

Sonia
Great! Not gremlins, then. One more mystery de-mystified. :D
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

Anitazz

Post by Anitazz » November 19th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Uploaded a contribution:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/lovestories2_weddinggift_mason_asm_128kb.mp3 (17:53)
The Wedding-Gift by Grace Sartwell Mason (1876 - 1966)
https://archive.org/details/TheWeddingGift

Anita

msfry

Post by msfry » November 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Thanks Anita, will listen soon.
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

msfry

Post by msfry » November 20th, 2019, 6:16 pm

The Wedding Gift is PL OK. Charming story, charmingly read. Thank you. :thumbs:
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2