[COMPLETE][HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY]World's Story 9: England - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 12:17 pmHere is trouble:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_08_lucius_128kb.mp3 1.18 KB
oooh, hostile, hostile. :lol: well he will find out that threats don't work that well.

Thank you, Jim, Lucius is definitely PL ok. :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 72 - Cranmer at traitors gate (time 1:59)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_72_tappan_128kb.mp3

Cranmer was one of the so-called "Oxford Martyrs" whose memorial the city centre I walk past almost every day.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ChrisFields

Post by ChrisFields »

Hi, can I get Section 19 please?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChrisFields wrote: October 26th, 2019, 9:39 am Hi, can I get Section 19 please?
thank you, Chris, happy to have you in this project as well :D

Alan: thank you for Cranmer, will PL tomorrow though, I'm only quickly hopping in here tonight.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:55 amSection 72 - Cranmer at traitors gate (time 1:59)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_72_tappan_128kb.mp3
Cranmer was one of the so-called "Oxford Martyrs" whose memorial the city centre I walk past almost every day.
I remember his story from the BBC series The Tudors. Thank you for this section, Alan, and the text is flawless.

Although no wait...the volume is a bit low, could you just quickly amplify with 2 or 3 dB to get it nearer 89 ?

Thanks

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aha excellent job, thank you Alan. I especially love the final hypocritical monologue :lol: and all of a sudden you had to laugh a little bit, that was a nice touch. Made me smile as well while listening.

Well done, but not finished yet ;)

> at about 2:02: (p. 401): you missed a big chunk here, starting with "Peace, good pint-pot..." till "but I know not his name."

As for Cranmer, he is now well inside our volume limits and PL ok. Thanks

Sonia
DanielHurt

Post by DanielHurt »

Good afternoon. I would like to do Chapter 58 for "World's Story 9: England" if it is still available.
I took the liberty of pre-recording a copy of the appropriate section, but it may need some work.
As this is to be my first recording with Librivox, I would like some input as to whether the quality is up to par.
I also suspect I may not have the file formatting right, and am trying to figure out how to upload it. :hmm:
Any input is welcome.
Best,
Daniel H. Hurt
EDIT:
I've figured out the upload problem; is the recording I have linked below satisfactory, or are changes needed?
(https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/England58_1EDITED.mp3).
Last edited by DanielHurt on October 28th, 2019, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Am recording sections 7 and 10 at the moment, and notice that there are a few 'glitches' in the text that don't make sense if read as is (eg, For example, a U in stead of li (as in "the use of their Umbs" instead of what I think should be 'limbs'). I'm presuming they arose because it was scanned and the proof reader didn't pick them up. Anyone else notice this in theirs?
I'm correcting them to make sense, which I assume is right.

Loving the text though, lots of fun!
regards
Jane Bennett
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: October 28th, 2019, 11:40 am
> at about 2:02: (p. 401): you missed a big chunk here, starting with "Peace, good pint-pot..." till "but I know not his name."
Careless of me. I recorded this speech separately but forgot to include it in the edit. 😟
Alan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 8:15 pm Am recording sections 7 and 10 at the moment, and notice that there are a few 'glitches' in the text that don't make sense if read as is (eg, For example, a U in stead of li (as in "the use of their Umbs" instead of what I think should be 'limbs'). I'm presuming they arose because it was scanned and the proof reader didn't pick them up. Anyone else notice this in theirs?

Are you reading from the "full text" link? If so, I highly recommend that you don't. Those kinds of errors will proliferate, because there actually was no proof reader. That text is automatically generated from the scan, and as far as I know, it had no human oversight whatsoever. It's really better if you read from the scanned pages themselves.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

mightyfelix wrote: October 28th, 2019, 10:26 pm
Jmbau13 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 8:15 pm Am recording sections 7 and 10 at the moment, and notice that there are a few 'glitches' in the text that don't make sense if read as is (eg, For example, a U in stead of li (as in "the use of their Umbs" instead of what I think should be 'limbs'). I'm presuming they arose because it was scanned and the proof reader didn't pick them up. Anyone else notice this in theirs?

Are you reading from the "full text" link? If so, I highly recommend that you don't. Those kinds of errors will proliferate, because there actually was no proof reader. That text is automatically generated from the scan, and as far as I know, it had no human oversight whatsoever. It's really better if you read from the scanned pages themselves.
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, I was using the full text as a download from Archive.org, as I can manipulate and make it larger far more easily - I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. Sigh... archive.org is so clunky though, especially finding one's place.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Here's section 7, with Trollope's dry wit well to the fore. A lot of fun to read.

25 m 40

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_07_tappan_128kb.mp3
regards
Jane Bennett