[MEMOIR] Summer on the Lakes, in 1843 by Margaret Fuller - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

KevinS wrote: October 26th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Thank you, Rosebud. I always feel better knowing you're on the team!
:9: Thanks! But you flatter me. I do enjoy working with you. :D
~Rosebud
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Here's my link to Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/summeronthelakesin1843_02_fuller_128kb.mp3
Duration: 48:21

At the 38 minute mark, some of the text is presented in quotation marks as if she's reciting a poem. I was unsure what you'd want, so I recorded it twice. The first time, right at 38 minutes, I just read it with no extra wording. The second time, I said "quote" and "end of quote" at the beginning and end of the poem. I figured you could delete the one you don't want. If you need me to delete it, please just holler and I'll do it!

This is, indeed, the longest piece I've recorded. About twice the length of anything I've done before. Quite an experience!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BetsyWalker wrote: October 27th, 2019, 6:54 pm Here's my link to Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/summeronthelakesin1843_02_fuller_128kb.mp3

At the 38 minute mark, some of the text is presented in quotation marks as if she's reciting a poem. I was unsure what you'd want, so I recorded it twice. The first time, right at 38 minutes, I just read it with no extra wording. The second time, I said "quote" and "end of quote" at the beginning and end of the poem. I figured you could delete the one you don't want. If you need me to delete it, please just holler and I'll do it!

This is, indeed, the longest piece I've recorded. About twice the length of anything I've done before. Quite an experience!

Betsy
Thank you, thank you! I'll have a listen as soon as I can!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BetsyWalker wrote: October 27th, 2019, 6:54 pm Here's my link to Chapter 2:

Betsy
I heard the first two minutes and it sounds absolutely spot on! I'll start editing the initial scene first thing in the morning.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 26th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Rosebud, I'll let you know when the editing for Chapter 2 is complete. No need to PL until then.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

KevinS wrote: October 27th, 2019, 7:26 pm
RSlabaugh wrote: October 26th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Rosebud, I'll let you know when the editing for Chapter 2 is complete. No need to PL until then.
Perfect :thumbs:
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chapter 2 is edited now to include the DR that begins the piece.

I'm not quite sure how to match the tonal qualities of the voices (if that's how it is described.) I think everything works, but I notice that I sound a bit more 'foggy' than TriciaG and Betsy.

I have also created a steam boat whistle for the recording that probably sounds ridiculous. I don't know if we would be allowed to include a real one, if I could find one not under copyright claim, or perhaps we should have Betsy (?) read the short little line that tells the reader that the whistle is sounded.

I thought we could go without a whistle, but hearing the piece live, as it were, I see that would not work very well.

Rosebud, the chapter is ready for PLing and I would value your opinion regarding the artistry. (Am I allowed to say artistry? Regardless, the DR is fun!)
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I’m all excited about this section! :D I never dared PL any DR before, and now I get one thrown into my lap as it were. :clap: I’ll take a listen as soon as my schedule permits.
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 28th, 2019, 1:16 pm I’m all excited about this section! :D I never dared PL any DR before, and now I get one thrown into my lap as it were. :clap: I’ll take a listen as soon as my schedule permits.
Excellent!
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I’ve only had time to PL till 14:00... I hear what you mean about your voice being foggier or something. Even just upping your volume might help, somehow it seemed a little more distant.

And it took a bit for me to register what the whistle was... I jumped a little and went to record the time. Then it soaked in. :lol:

I’m OK with whatever you want to put there. My opinion is that a real steam boat whistle recording would be most ideal, but like you said that may be hard to come by. So to me, either the MC, BC, or the three DR participants could make the call on that. :wink:

I like the effect of the DR section! :) It’s a long enough chapter that it’ll break it up a little more.
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 28th, 2019, 10:15 pm I’ve only had time to PL till 14:00... I hear what you mean about your voice being foggier or something. Even just upping your volume might help, somehow it seemed a little more distant.

And it took a bit for me to register what the whistle was... I jumped a little and went to record the time. Then it soaked in. :lol:

I’m OK with whatever you want to put there. My opinion is that a real steam boat whistle recording would be most ideal, but like you said that may be hard to come by. So to me, either the MC, BC, or the three DR participants could make the call on that. :wink:

I like the effect of the DR section! :) It’s a long enough chapter that it’ll break it up a little more.
Hahah! I should have warned you about the 'whistle'!

I'm going to see if I can filter my recording in some way to bring the voice forward.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Real whistles sometimes make you jump too, right? I knew it was coming, I had just forgotten when. :mrgreen:

OK. Hopefully you won’t have to work too hard with the voice thing!
~Rosebud
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Rosebud and Kevin: One thing that occurred to me this morning is that I am not sure how I'll do any edits if errors are found during PL. I no longer have the working copy of the file. When PLing myself, I did have to make a fair number of corrections. It's always possible that there may be some that I missed. I hope not! But let me know your thoughts about how to get the file if I do need to make more corrections.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I didn’t find any errors till 14:00. Let me listen to the rest and see if you’ll need to correct anything.
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BetsyWalker wrote: October 29th, 2019, 6:38 am Rosebud and Kevin: One thing that occurred to me this morning is that I am not sure how I'll do any edits if errors are found during PL. I no longer have the working copy of the file. When PLing myself, I did have to make a fair number of corrections. It's always possible that there may be some that I missed. I hope not! But let me know your thoughts about how to get the file if I do need to make more corrections.

Betsy
Not to worry. I can send the file to you.