[COMPLETE] MARK TWAIN'S TRAVEL LETTERS FROM 1891-92 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 24th, 2019, 10:39 am

So we stay on the same page, so to speak, let's confirm which text you are using. For instance, your first recording differs from the newspaper pdf in the very first sentence.
"E agora, José?"

johng
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 24th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Thanks Kevin!
I'm finding it VERY hard to use the PDF's I downloaded!!!
BUT
please let me know the words that I used that DIFFER from the PDF's .
I'll make the corrections to MATCH the PDF's and I will struggle through by ONLY using the PDF's, from now on... and checking with other versions when I can't read the PDF's.

I found it interesting that the editors of each of the newspapers made small changes in wording occasionally!
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 24th, 2019, 2:14 pm

johng wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Thanks Kevin!
I'm finding it VERY hard to use the PDF's I downloaded!!!
BUT
please let me know the words that I used that DIFFER from the PDF's .
I'll make the corrections to MATCH the PDF's and I will struggle through by ONLY using the PDF's, from now on... and checking with other versions when I can't read the PDF's.

I found it interesting that the editors of each of the newspapers made small changes in wording occasionally!
Well, this is a bit of an extra burden, but I suspect there will be few differences. Should we not find a common text for the other five readings, I will have to bow out, but it sounds like you're willing to work things out.

To be honest, the PDFs are hard for me, too. Further, I don't understand why you don't use the other options available. I thought the newspaper originals would be best, but now I see the quality of the scans! Haha!
"E agora, José?"

johng
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 24th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Well...if there are TOO many differences...Let me know what version you used for 01 and I will edit to match the PDF versison.
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 24th, 2019, 3:07 pm

johng wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 2:18 pm
Well...if there are TOO many differences...Let me know what version you used for 01 and I will edit to match the PDF versison.
I'm up to 11 in 23 minutes. https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030272/1891-11-08/ed-1/seq-21/
"E agora, José?"

johng
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 24th, 2019, 6:53 pm

OMG
i’m sorry!
I had NO IDEA editors were so loose with their pens!!!
I’ll record the whole thing again if you’d rather!!
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 24th, 2019, 6:58 pm

johng wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 6:53 pm
OMG
i’m sorry!
I had NO IDEA editors were so loose with their pens!!!
I’ll record the whole thing again if you’d rather!!
Well, I'm listening for every word, so it's a bit hard. A standard reading, with one of two exceptions, would likely be approved. Are you certain you want word perfect?

I can give you the results of what I've found so far.

Your reading, by the way, is quite enjoyable.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm

We can also do a special reading where I list only the differences that make a real change in meaning. That I don't mind at all.

And I don't mind word perfect for an author I respect like Twain. We just need the same text.
"E agora, José?"

johng
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 25th, 2019, 7:57 am

KevinS wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm
We can also do a special reading where I list only the differences that make a real change in meaning. That I don't mind at all.

And I don't mind word perfect for an author I respect like Twain. We just need the same text.
You know...you've convinced me!!
This is the first MT project I've done which has so many different versions...different in very small ways....and mostly, I think, unimportant...
SO

let's go with the meaning in tact....and please let me know if there are mistakes that take away from accurate meaning/intention, etc.

Thanks so much for your willingness to work this out
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 25th, 2019, 8:00 am

johng wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 7:57 am
KevinS wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm
We can also do a special reading where I list only the differences that make a real change in meaning. That I don't mind at all.

And I don't mind word perfect for an author I respect like Twain. We just need the same text.
You know...you've convinced me!!
This is the first MT project I've done which has so many different versions...different in very small ways....and mostly, I think, unimportant...
SO

let's go with the meaning in tact....and please let me know if there are mistakes that take away from accurate meaning/intention, etc.

Thanks so much for your willingness to work this out
Okay. I'll continue with the first reading.
"E agora, José?"

johng
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

02 is done
read from PDF
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 25th, 2019, 9:11 am

johng wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 9:00 am
02 is done
read from PDF
That's great! I'll get to it as soon as I can, but my vision problem is hampering me a bit. I'll have the whole weekend, though, to work on it.
"E agora, José?"

johng
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 25th, 2019, 9:23 am

No hurry
Take your time and thanks!!
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 26th, 2019, 7:37 am

Section 1 notes:

Times are approximate

1:30 'returned' not refunded (I leave this one for you to decide.)

32:35 'patentable' rather than potentable (?)

36:06 'hills' not halls

Great reading!
"E agora, José?"

KevinS
Posts: 4679
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 26th, 2019, 8:44 am

Section 2 notes:

Times are approximate.

The first issue might be one of the title you use. The text you cite is "At the Shrine of St. Wagner."

0:25 'rolling' not pulling

4:35 'grand and lonely' and not lovely

15:10 'and in some of the other operas' Your recording omits 'the other.'

EDIT: I mean to say, for the last note: You omit 'of the other.'
"E agora, José?"

Post Reply