[COMPLETE] MARK TWAIN'S TRAVEL LETTERS FROM 1891-92 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS
Posts: 4537
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm

I would be delighted to serve as DPL for this project. I love Twain.

(Well, that Tom Sawyer as a detective wasn't so hot...)
Last edited by KevinS on October 20th, 2019, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 Dec: I have lost my voice. (Can you believe it?!) I'll still be PLing, however, so lay it on.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43340
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » October 20th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I've added you in. :)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs the Earth Isn't a Globe: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 21st, 2019, 7:10 am

KevinS wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
I would be delighted to serve as DPL for this project. I love Twain.

(Well, that Tom Sawyer as a detective wasn't so hot...)
Thanks Kevin and Tricia!
I'm communicating with Barbara Schmidt about the introduction paraphrasing...to get her OK and will send a proposed new introduction so we can all be on the same "page".
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4537
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 21st, 2019, 7:15 am

johng wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 7:10 am
KevinS wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
I would be delighted to serve as DPL for this project. I love Twain.

(Well, that Tom Sawyer as a detective wasn't so hot...)
Thanks Kevin and Tricia!
I'm communicating with Barbara Schmidt about the introduction paraphrasing...to get her OK and will send a proposed new introduction so we can all be on the same "page".
Tricia will give her view on the matter, but it seems best, from my perspective, to let Twain speak for himself. LibriVox is not really in a position to record materials that might hold a copyright, even if the holder is willing to release his or her rights.
7 Dec: I have lost my voice. (Can you believe it?!) I'll still be PLing, however, so lay it on.

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 21st, 2019, 8:31 am

I've passed this by Barbara Schmidt and have her OK

Here's what I'd like to use for the introduction (and summary):

This collection of Mark Twain travel letters was compiled by Barbara Schmidt for her Web Site, TwainQuotes.com (http://www.twainquotes.com/). According to his biographer, Albert Bigelow Paine, when Twain took his family to Europe in June of 1891, he left with the knowledge that the McClure Syndicate and W.M. Laffan of the New York Sun would pay him one thousand dollars each for six travel letters. Twain’s letters eventually appeared in numerous papers including the Chicago Sunday Tribune, Atlanta Constitution, Boston Globe in addition to the New York Sun. Readers of his “The Innocents Abroad” and “A Tramp Abroad” will remember his knack of viewing his discoveries with satirical and ironic twists. (Summary by John Greenman and Barbara Schmidt)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43340
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » October 22nd, 2019, 5:32 am

I'm OK with that. Summary changed in the database, and project moved to Going Solo.
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs the Earth Isn't a Globe: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 22nd, 2019, 2:53 pm

OK
I have 01 and 02 up and in the MW.
The links work!

:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 4537
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 22nd, 2019, 3:13 pm

johng wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 2:53 pm
OK
I have 01 and 02 up and in the MW.
The links work!

:-)
Word perfect is word perfect, so I point this out to you. You actually improve on the text in your recording.

The text for the introduction reads "...Atlanta Constitution, Boston Globe..." You say "Atlanta Constitution and Boston Globe."

Let me know if I can mark this PL OK.
7 Dec: I have lost my voice. (Can you believe it?!) I'll still be PLing, however, so lay it on.

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 22nd, 2019, 3:51 pm

KevinS wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 3:13 pm
johng wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 2:53 pm
OK
I have 01 and 02 up and in the MW.
The links work!

:-)
Word perfect is word perfect, so I point this out to you. You actually improve on the text in your recording.

The text for the introduction reads "...Atlanta Constitution, Boston Globe..." You say "Atlanta Constitution and Boston Globe."

Let me know if I can mark this PL OK.
Thanks Kevin!
Please accept the introduction as recorded....
but from NOW ON....
I'd appreciate word perfect!!
Thanks!!!!
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43340
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » October 22nd, 2019, 4:07 pm

No - you cannot record the introduction. It's not part of the texts - it's not an acceptable text to record, just like we don't accept any audio intros by any readers. I thought I said that in my last post about it. :?

I've removed it from the MW. Because it's being removed, section 2 is now section 1, so the audio on the first text section needs to be amended.

Sorry for the confusion!
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs the Earth Isn't a Globe: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 23rd, 2019, 5:48 am

here is the link to the Dropbox folder containing the Chicago Tribune travel articles

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oec1qtf8z9yli29/AAAHKnST9bxZPHunDOaZqlBla?dl=0
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 23rd, 2019, 5:59 am

TriciaG wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 4:07 pm
No - you cannot record the introduction. It's not part of the texts - it's not an acceptable text to record, just like we don't accept any audio intros by any readers. I thought I said that in my last post about it. :?

I've removed it from the MW. Because it's being removed, section 2 is now section 1, so the audio on the first text section needs to be amended.

Sorry for the confusion!
my apologies!
I was so intent on getting out of the copyrighted materiel/world that I forgot about the rules and regulations of LV.
All is well now

and the new 01 is up

-j
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 23rd, 2019, 6:06 am

Tricia
I hope you will consider using this illustration for the new cover:
Image

ALSO...as you probably are aware there have been instances of changed attribution "out there" in the wild, wild world of eBay/Amazon/Audible/OneDrive...etc...

Several of my works have been attributed to others, as a way of making them look original!!
SO...
when the time comes...

could you please note on the cover:

"Narrated by John Greenman"

thanks!
:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43340
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » October 23rd, 2019, 6:10 am

I don't make the cover.

When it's close to cataloging, you can make the request over in the cover makers chat thread: viewtopic.php?t=64062&view=unread#unread

(Cover makers cannot claim a cover to make until the project is cataloged, so posting the request now would just get lost and forgotten by the time the project is cataloged.)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs the Earth Isn't a Globe: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

johng
Posts: 3648
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » October 23rd, 2019, 6:14 am

TriciaG wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 6:10 am
I don't make the cover.

When it's close to cataloging, you can make the request over in the cover makers chat thread: viewtopic.php?t=64062&view=unread#unread

(Cover makers cannot claim a cover to make until the project is cataloged, so posting the request now would just get lost and forgotten by the time the project is cataloged.)
Thanks...
I've never known that.
I'll make a note!
:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

Post Reply