COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 013 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

thestorygirl wrote: March 21st, 2020, 9:31 am :9: Thank you for listening.
My pleasure. I can't wait to hear this play put together -- It'll be great!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Aaaa so this would be my first time reading for the drama section, but I think I'd like to give Norah from An Irish Engagement a go!
Nettle :^]
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Nettle wrote: March 21st, 2020, 11:30 am Aaaa so this would be my first time reading for the drama section, but I think I'd like to give Norah from An Irish Engagement a go!
Great. When you read part of a dramatic work, here are some hints:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

ToddHW wrote: March 21st, 2020, 12:37 pm Great. When you read part of a dramatic work, here are some hints:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks for the tips! I'll do my best.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Section 70, Norah from An Irish Engagement is ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/anirishengagement_norah_watts.mp3
04:15

I attempted a British-esque accent since I don't know how to do an Irish one, hope it turned out ok. :hmm:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. ktaylor07 is BC for this play and will do (or arrange for) the proof listening.

Thanks, Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I would like to attempt the stage directions for The Hartleys :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

jennlea wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:35 am I would like to attempt the stage directions for The Hartleys :)
Great! Stage directions are not that hard, but here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia) have provided in the forum at times:

You read the intro and outro words. The words to say are in the first posting.

Please leave at least 4-5 seconds of silence (more is better) between each "chunk" you have to read. I will have to copy/paste each bit out of everyone's original file and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile - and I start with your file when making the master. So it's helpful if you leave enough cutting out/cutting in space.

You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", "scene 3", Enters and Exits, things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always.

If you read a character-description right at the beginning of the character's speech, you need to read the name of the character as well. While when the direction shows up in the middle of a speech, you don't have to read the name. Example:

John (putting down the book): Now listen to me... (closing the door)...I need to tell you a secret.

Here you would have to read all that is underlined. So the name in the beginning, but not repeated in the middle.

Sometimes, just to confuse us, the author puts a direction at the end of a line instead of the beginning. Often happens with "Aside". In that case, put it at the beginning with the character name included.

As far as Dramatis personae go, yes, please read the entire characteristics, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 5 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 5 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by_______" We need your voice credit as well.

If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Thank you, Todd! That information is very helpful!!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ktaylor07 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 8:53 am Here's "Mary Setzer" from "Dog Gast Ye Both"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_08_mary_128kb.mp3
Thank you. PL OK. Now that you're a head'n for a wedd'n, I best get my lines in so's I can be the groooom!

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Here are the stage directions for The Hartleys. It was my first time with stage directions so I hope I got everything you needed!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hartleys_stagedirections_arthureckersley.mp3
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

:D
ToddHW wrote: March 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm
ktaylor07 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 8:53 am Here's "Mary Setzer" from "Dog Gast Ye Both"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_08_mary_128kb.mp3
Thank you. PL OK. Now that you're a head'n for a wedd'n, I best get my lines in so's I can be the groooom!

Todd
:D It's sure as shootin' gonna be one heck of a shindig!
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

jennlea wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:35 am I would like to attempt the stage directions for The Hartleys :)
If this is your first time, you did incredibly. I only have a few notes:

9:43 – heard vhemenance instead of vehemence

12:12 – need to include ‘Mrs. Hartley’ in this direction

16:11 – heard ‘crosses’ instead of ‘closes’

18:01 – heard ‘shyly’ instead of ‘slyly’

Thanks so much for reading!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 31st, 2020, 9:19 am If this is your first time, you did incredibly. I only have a few notes:

9:43 – heard vhemenance instead of vehemence

12:12 – need to include ‘Mrs. Hartley’ in this direction

16:11 – heard ‘crosses’ instead of ‘closes’

18:01 – heard ‘shyly’ instead of ‘slyly’

Thanks so much for reading!
Thank you! Here are the corrections. I have no idea why I pronounced vehemence the way I did and now my mouth can't seem to say it the correct way :lol:
Fingers crossed I finally got it right!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hartleys_stagedirections_arthureckersley.mp3
-Jenn B.
My Recordings