[COMPLETE] Nada the Lily by H. Rider Haggard-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin, and Happy New Year! I am setting up West's Guide to the Lakes on the launchpad. As usual, take your time! Phil
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Sections 30 and 31 are PL OK. And Happy New Year to you, too!

There was a sort of cracking noise in the background of these. It was faint, and I doubt it would be heard if someone is listening to it in the car or while jogging, but it's my job to note these things! I think there was more of it in chapter 30 than in 31, in case you have any recollection of what was going on during recording.

It's nice to get back to this book! When I tried over the weekend I couldn't access the LV site. It was probably only down for a couple of hours and I was just unlucky, but it's made me even more eager to get back to the story!
Newgatenovelist

One note for chapter 32. What a cliffhanger!

10.23-10.26, bottom third p. 266, end of para
…and those who still lived [heard loved] walked upon them.
Newgatenovelist

Chapter 33 is PL OK. I like how you're making Mopo tell of all these fights with such relish, since he starts them but is never involved in them!
Newgatenovelist

Two notes for chapter 34. They both involve deleting self-corrections, so it's straightfoward!

I don't quite understand how Nada managed to make the long journey all by herself, disguise herself as a warrior and heaven knows what else, but ended up so timid by the end of the book. Of course, if I'd written the book she probably would have had more in common with Morris's warrior women...

4.40-4.44, first line p. 284, self-correction
…a scratch perhance a scratch, perchance, here and there.

12.29-12.44, third para p. 286 – this version can be deleted, as the corrected version (…and so they sat…) starts at 12.45
…and so [heard as] they sat … spoke of their love.
Newgatenovelist

Chapter 36 is PL OK.

I have one note for chapter 35 - I'd like you to listen to this. What I think I'm hearing is the following:
1.27-1.32, second para p. 288
…the soldiers had gone up the Ghost [heard Goats, or maybe a stumble] Mountain…
I like the idea of a goats' mountain, so maybe it's wishful thinking!

This has really confirmed how varied the Newcastle titles are. I'm so glad to have listened to these - going along with someone else's classification of these books has been educational.
Newgatenovelist

I'm sorry, I've just spotted something in the summary - could you please add a second L to Allan Quatermain's first name?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

All corrections done, including the summary, and I will upload the corrected files tomorrow morning.

I hadn't noticed what you say about Nada. You are right, she suddenly becomes helpless when Umslopogaas is on the scene! And, of course, Mopo blames everything on her at the end, when it was his idea in the first place that Umslopogaas should go and look for her!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapters 32, 34, 35 uploaded and ready for spot PL! Almost there!

Anne, if you are looking for an image for the cover, I especially liked the illustrations opposite p. 4 and p.82 - I am hoping for something less violent than the book itself :?:
Newgatenovelist

Chapters 32, 34 and 35 are spot PL OK. Hooray! Now listeners get to find out just how deep in double dealing Mopo can be!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll get started.....
Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done . Thank you both

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/nada-the-lily-by-h-rider-haggard/[/color]

:clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs: :clap:

Anne, currently residing in the city with the worst air quality in the world :(
Newgatenovelist

Congrats, Phil, this will really brighten someone's day when they see another Newcastle title has been released!

Anne, I've not said anything because you haven't, but I keep reading the news and it's horrifying. I hope you coping as best you can.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm well out of the actual fire zone - I say zone because the main sites are all along the Great Divjding Range which goes north-south in from the coast line and does an east turn from the sea through most of Victoria -. everything is very dry and lightning strikes in remote parts cause most of the fires.
Where I live is safe from bushfire but the whole city has a dense layer of smoke haze full of the smell of smoke and fine particles of ash. It's not pleasant but compared to others I'm fine :D
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks Anne! I love the cover!

Next up is Jaufry the Knight and the fair Brunissende - a short one and I'm about half way through recording. Then it will be back to Haggard again for the Spirit of Baambatse.